August 27, 2014

Has Your Favorite TV Show Been Canceled? A Guide to What the Networks Axed

by Maggie Furlong, posted May 16th 2011 9:00AM
Last week was a whirlwind for TV reporters. If you're just catching up, we've got some tough news for you: a lot of shows have been canceled. Like, a lot.

But to save you the hassle of having to frantically Google all of your favorite shows, we've got one (big) list here of every show that every network canceled.

Brothers & Sisters

Now don't blame us -- we're just the messengers -- but also don't go into some deep TV-related depression over this news. Even if shows you adore have been axed, there's also a ton of awesome new shows getting picked up for next season as we speak.

Just prepare yourself, because what you're about to see is ugly. In truth, a lot of the shows deserved it, and cancellations were expected, but there are a few sad ones. So without further ado, our complete list of canceled TV shows, updated in real time as news breaks.

CANCELED SHOWS, BY NETWORK:
ABC
'Better With You'
'Brothers & Sisters'
'Detroit 1-8-7'
'Mr. Sunshine'
'My Generation'
'No Ordinary Family'
'Off the Map'
'V'

NBC
'America's Next Great Restaurant'
'The Cape'

'Human Target'
'Lie to Me'
'Lone Star'
'Running Wilde'
'Traffic Light'

CBS
'Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior'
'The Defenders'
'Mad Love'
'Medium'
'$#*! My Dad Says'

THE CW
'Hellcats'
'Life Unexpected'
'Smallville'

So there you have it. Some of these are not shocking at all. 'Law & Order: LA' has been in trouble at NBC from the start (needing to reboot in season 1 is never a good sign); Fox's 'Breaking In' wasn't exactly a ratings hit, even with Christian Slater in the lead; and 'Smallville' fans have been mourning the end of the series for a while now.

But there are a handful that will be greatly missed. Fox's 'The Chicago Code' was a chance for fans of 'The Shield' and, more recently, 'Terriers,' to have a piece of creator Shawn Ryan on network TV; and 'Perfect Couples' had yet to find an audience, but to be fair, it also didn't have a regular timeslot.

However it was the mass slaughter by ABC that really got people talking. 'Brothers & Sisters' cancellation rumors have been swirling for a while, but a shorter final season was discussed; 'No Ordinary Family' was grabbing a very vocal (if still small) fanbase; and the ratings for 'Better With You' were getting noticeably better recently. None of that was quite good enough to stay on the air.

At the end of the day, business is business -- even if a show grabs an adequate audience, it still has to make sense for the network's budget and their planned schedule for next season.

There are several shows that are "on the bubble," meaning their fates are still unknown. Keep checking back to see what happens to The CW's 'Hellcats,' CBS's 'Blue Bloods' and 'Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior' and more.

What do you think? Sad, shocked, indifferent? Share your thoughts in the comments. And check out clips from some of the canceled shows here:

Need a little pick-me-up? You can see all the shows that were NOT canceled here.

karaarowe

Frankly I'm sick of these networks making 5 show "seasons" one no sooner becomes attached to characters and the story line and BOOM!! it's all over. What erks me even more is how they shut down GREAT new shows like Fairly Legal, 'V', Alcatraz, Breakout KIngs, Alpha's and just soooo many more. 2 "seasons" come on folks!! Stick with something long enough for the shows to have a real chance. If it's not getting the ratings then get new writers, do some surveys and see what the public thinks ... do something other than just giving up ... imho only. ;)

February 28 2013 at 8:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Terry & Al Team

Thoroughly disgusted with the networks and their policy of cancelling shows that I watch - do not watch that much tv and so far they have managed to cancel three that is correct three of the shows that we look forward to watching each week. A Gifted Man, Terra Nova, Alcatraz - I am done.

September 29 2012 at 8:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
carol hoousendove

Kim reminds meof a used tampex I used in the latre 80's

July 20 2012 at 12:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
carol hoousendove

Kim reminds meof a tampex I used many years ago.

July 20 2012 at 12:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Duane Wachowiak

i am sick and tired of good shows being cancelled harrys law the sanctuary eureka etc

May 28 2012 at 11:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Redgirl

I am so sick of this reality tv. sh--. I am a true CSI Miami fan, When Eric left, we started a petition 2 get him back, now they are taking the show off shame, shame, shame. I also love CSI New York, Criminal minds suspect behavior, Detroit 187, theV, the event, & Chicago Code. If anyone wants any show that has been canceled2 stay, start a petition, it just might help. Please get rid of these reality shows and bring back the good law shows. If u must cancel a CSI show, cancel the original CSI show, no one can really say "it's better than CSI Miami."
A true CSI Miami Fan

May 18 2012 at 11:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Coletta in Texas

Don't tell me we are going to see more of the network overload of the Kardasians ? Give me a break . If that is reality , I must have missed the end of the world. Take off good programs like CSI and Criminal minds to overindulge viewers with tripe such as Housewives saga and the on and on and on over rated and uninteresting reality hogwash of the Kardashians , What is that all about . It is their reality not the ordinary viewers .

May 14 2012 at 7:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Coletta in Texas

I cannot believe Criminal minds has been canceled . What happened ? Why ?One of the best working casts ever Looked forward to new episodes each week .Great tv match with all of the characters . Became like a family . Is there anything we can do to get CBS to reverse their decision ?

May 14 2012 at 6:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Martha

And I was just reading some of the other commets and I have 2 dvr last year I need 2 now I don't hardly use 1 because the networks keeping cancelling shows I think the only 3 good station are amc and fx, tnt at least they give there shows a chance

March 14 2012 at 3:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Martha

I think it stinks everytime you start to watch a show they cancelled it why even try to watch anything everytime I think wow this is going to be a great show you cancel it I don't need more reality shows in my life people need a show that makes them fill good after watching it maybe take there minds off there owe life just for a hour why there watching there farovite show I like gifted man ,hart of dixie and many more shows that might or are going to be cancelled I think that some poeple like those reality shows but what about real life you can't tell me that those aren't staged

March 14 2012 at 3:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply