October 25, 2014

'Gossip Girl' Season 4, Episode 22 (Season Finale) Recap

by Laura Prudom, posted May 17th 2011 2:30AM
Ed Westwick and Leighton Meester['Gossip Girl' - 'The Wrong Goodbye']

Greetings and salutations, Upper East Siders -- it seems that 'Gossip Girl' decided to save the best for last this week, and while it looked as though the season might end with a whimper instead of a bang for a while there, those last 10 minutes more than made up for the doldrums of the preceding hour.

In true 'GG' fashion, the cliffhangers, revelations and surprises flew thick and fast, right up until the last frame, but perhaps even more importantly, Chuck did the first decent thing he's done all season (series?) and finally demonstrated the maturity that Blair's been wishing for throughout the past 22 episodes.

Despite the 'GG' showrunners long insisting that Chuck is a unique and precious snowflake just the way he is, the rest of us are probably fairly aware that our inglorious Basstard has been long overdue for an attitude adjustment. He's yo-yoed between decent and dastardly all season, but tonight, by finally embracing the old adage, if you love something, let it go, he finally took a step toward redemption, and in allowing Blair to walk away, he probably ensured that someday, she'll be able to come back again.

I must admit though, as alluring as the bad boy tends to be (and as boring as Louis tragically is), there's something so sweet about Blair's prince waiting at the party for her all night that spoke to the romantic in me. I know they're never going to work out, title and tiara be damned, but Louis is adorable and Blair does deserve a happily ever after, even if it has an expiration date.

I was very impressed that both Chuck and Blair finally grew some semblance of a conscience and felt guilt over their bar mitzvah tryst -- it was an adorable, if random, diversion, since it was nice to see how well the couple work together when they're actually working.

I found Georgina's triumphant return to be way too anticlimactic considering how terrible she was when last we saw her, although she did score the best line of the night: "I haven't been this bored since I believed in Jesus." I was expecting more crazy from her run-in with Charlie, but I guess that's what next season is for.

Speaking of Charlie, or should I say Ivy, I definitely didn't see the long con angle coming -- that was some pretty elaborate hoaxing from Lily's sister, but we obviously haven't seen the last of the artist formerly known as Charlie, and now that she's got her hands on a portion of the family fortune (not to mention the fact that she's been promoted to series regular next season) I'm intrigued to see where they take the character. Her "will I jump?" dilemma was fairly snoozeworthy, though.

Luckily for Charlie and Georgina, Vanessa was being heinous enough for everyone -- she seemed like she was back on track for a while when she was assisting Serena and Dan in tracking Charlie down, but then she had to go rifling through Dan's stuff (why, exactly?), guilt-trip him over his book, and then steal said manuscript, take it to a publisher and finagle her way into receiving all the money that is sure to result from Dan's genius prose. I know that Dan and Vanessa have had their ups and downs, but seriously, heinous. Downgrading Vanessa and Jenny from regulars to guest star status is one of the smartest things the show has ever done.

I'm glad that the melodramatic Russell/Blair cliffhanger was quickly dispensed with -- the ominous lighter flicking was a little too soapy, even for 'Gossip Girl,' and Russell and Raina have never really gelled with me, story line-wise. I know that there always has to be a little Bass Industries maneuvering in the background to remind us why Chuck's a billionaire (or something?), but every time the season took a detour in that direction, the momentum slowed to a crawl.

A great way to pick that momentum back up, though, is a pregnancy storyline -- since Serena has been a little lazy on the man front in the latter half of the season, surely Blair is the only logical choice, but is her baby daddy a new baby Bass, or a little prince? Might want to rush that royal wedding, B, otherwise your gown will be more maternity than bridal.

See you in the fall, gossips.

xoxo

(Sidebar: Was the Cecily that Headmistress Queller introduced to Serena at the alumni party a cameo from 'Gossip Girl' author Cecily von Ziegesar? Methinks so!)

Who do you think put a bun in Blair's oven? On a scale of 1 to Snooki, how horrendous was Vanessa's decision to steal Dan's book? What did you think of Charlie being a con artist? Do you think Serena will succeed at her glamorous new movie job? Share your reactions below!

Follow Laura on Twitter: @LauinLA

robydesanctis

Obnoxious review.Nothing more to say.

June 03 2011 at 4:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
B.C.

I liked the finale though I was disappointed not to get even a glimpse of Jenny, no updates on whether her attempt to get away from the city and back to her true self succeeded? I don't expect a happy ending, she's got a way to go but some hope would've been nice. Her exit always felt rushed though I assumed she'd be back if even for a moment in the finale. Chuck's turnaround at the end was brilliant. No more vacillating -- at least where insecurity and love are concerned. As a fan of the Chuck/Blair relationship I thought it was a much-needed development and I can't wait to see what's in store for the pair next season.

My only complaint, really a major one, lies with Vanessa's story arc. Disappointed (yet again) in the continuing revelations into Vanessa's strange and (apparently) overwhelming desire to "save" Dan from...whatever. She began as a female version of Dan, an intelligent character with an (usually) unfailing moral compass who at least admitted to her mistakes and tried to right them, like an adult. A kind of foil for all the hijinks and machinations of the UESers. Jenny's story arc may have painted her into a corner as a character who may never stay centered in the big bad city but at least she recognized how far off the path she'd gone and made the decision to do something about it. Vanessa's become the irritating character that makes bad decisions, runs away before she can face the music, then comes groveling back only to repeat the cycle all over again. And all her "heartfelt attempts" are nothing more; attempts. She talks a big game to Dan about growing up and standing on your own two feet, whatever may come, but it's all lip service when nothing she's done can convince this viewer that her sincerity is more than mere words. Really? Friends since 3rd grade? Wanting someone to protect him? Stealing the guys manuscript and ensuring you profit while you traipse off to the other end of the globe where you won't have to see his face and be reminded of your conniving ways is convenient, convoluted and the decided axe for any hope I had of seeing Vanessa be...well...Vanessa again.

I haven't read the books the show is based off of so I can't speak to the writers' faithfulness in their portrayal of her but this latest 'development' felt pretty weak and as a viewer who really hoped she'd come right, much of my affection for her character waned when she took the manuscript and what was left died altogether in what seems like a horrible betrayal by a character who's become even more self-righteous and holier-than-thou each time the writers see fit to point out just how much of an outsider she is. The other characters may have played their parts in her ostracism but so did she and until she stops denying it, she'll never grow up.

Better to be downgraded to guest star status if all the writers ever do with the character is use her as a convenient pawn to forward someone else's dastardly plots.

May 20 2011 at 6:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chelsea D

Great finale! Loved seeing Chuck and Blair at their best, even if it did have to end (for now). But seriously, who wouldn't want to be Serena? She gets a cute man and a dream job dumped into her lap just by walking down the freaking street!

May 20 2011 at 12:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jacqueline Michaud

Absolutely amazing finale. Well executed, especially Blair and Chuck's storyline, as I have always found their relationship to be enchanting. Brings me to tears (as awful as that sounds) to see them make such a mature and selfless decision for the betterment of each other. Excellent music choice and plot development. I am no guru in filming, but this entire episode had me full of various emotions, which is what I expect from "non-reality" television. As for the characters future: Vanessa, this can only lead to a devastating relationship for her and Dan, although that seemed to have diminished quite some time ago anyhow. Like other bloggers, I feel she is both one to feel empathy for (as she has always remained "on the outs") as well as disregard for her devious and reckless behavior. Charlie/Ivy is truly something else, not a fan of her character nor her ungodly voice, but she portrays her assigned character very well and will most likely make a vast impact on season 5. Wonder what the real Charlie looks like and if we will ever meet her? The list goes on and the plans for each character can go anywhere, so kudos to the entire Gossip Girl set for providing such a well-planned, wonderfully exciting ending to a phenomenal season!

May 19 2011 at 10:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sbrooke0912

I hope Raina disappears from the show, as well as charlie, or whatever her name is. They are both so utterly boring and obnoxious.... Especially Raina, she's stupid, vindictive and really ugly... I read somewhere that both Taylor momsen aka jenny and jessica szohr aka vanessa will only be guest stars.... which is stupid because they are MAJOR characters ... As for the baby (provided it is Blair who's pregnant, though it must be her) I have a most weird and uncanny feeling thats Dan is the father. Maybe something happened and they didnt show it so as to surprise us, and it be revealed with flashbacks. That would explain Dan's behavior, I mean there was something there, even Eric so it. i'd love that twist

May 19 2011 at 5:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sbrooke0912

May 19 2011 at 5:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Elisabeth Erhart

Ofcourse it's chucks, how else will the royal couple split up? And as for Vanessa, it was rude of her to steal Dan's book, but I sympathise with her somehow. She never has been a favourite character of mine, but I actually like her quite a lot better now that she doesn't stick to the right choices. Hope she stays in Barcelona though after the entire book-stealing-scandal explodes. As for Charlie, I would have liked her better as the cousin with a mental problem. Doesn't gossip girl have enough drama going on without this? I can't really see how a good storyline can come out of that one, especially with Georgina's phone-number being involved, I would like some NEW trouble to come along instead of the same old same old 'Someone is out to get the Van der Woodsens.." And as much as I would love to see Serena fail and fail and fail again, it would be nice if she actually pursuited something she wanted to do and stick with it, how sick are we of her always flaking out?

May 18 2011 at 5:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Acholly Arow ♔

love this ep ! [sad that its ends there for a damn season!]

May 18 2011 at 5:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tina Leonardia

It's CHUCK's baby!!! Whatever they do, they're always pulled together by fate!!!

THEY SHOULD BE TOGETHER!!!!

May 17 2011 at 7:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Tina Leonardia's comment
Acholly Arow ♔

O M G IWAS SSSSSSSSOOOO SHOKED AT THE END !!

Blair sooo loves Chuck

And ihave so much repect when Chuck says his all grown up by letting go of the woman that he loves !!

May 18 2011 at 5:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply