July 24, 2014

Breaking: Lisa Edelstein Leaving 'House'

by Chris Harnick, posted May 17th 2011 2:15PM
Lisa Edelstein, HouseHuddy fans, you better have a seat: Lisa Edelstein will not return to 'House' for the show's eighth (and probably final) season.

According to Deadline, Edelstein and costars Omar Epps and Robert Sean Leonard were not under contract for the eighth season. However, Epps and Leonard signed new deals and Edelstein was expected to ... until she decided not to.

"After much consideration, I am moving onward with a combination of disappointment at leaving behind a character I have loved playing for seven years and excitement of the new opportunities in acting and producing that lie ahead," Edelstein said in a statement.

As part of the new deal that was being negotiated, the actress had been asked to cut her per episode salary.

Edelstein has been on 'House' since it premiered in 2004. Her character, dean of medicine and hospital administrator Dr. Lisa Cuddy, has had an off-and-on relationship with Hugh Laurie's Dr. House. In 2011, the actress won the People's Choice Award for Best Drama Actress in a TV Series.

Season 8 is expected to be the last for 'House.' Series star Hugh Laurie is only under contract for season 8.

"[The] end of that season, right now, looks like the end of the show," Laurie told Radio Times.

No word on whether she'll return for an episode or two to wrap up her character's storyline.

Fox recently announced its new fall schedule, with 'House' at 9PM on Mondays following new sci-fi drama 'Terra Nova.' Other new shows include the 'Bones' spinoff 'Finder' and J. J. Abrams' 'Alcatraz.' For more on Fox's new schedule, check over here.

For previews of the new shows, including the new Zooey Deschanel comedy, head over here.

Tell us: Will you miss Lisa Edelstein on 'House'?

Follow Chris on Twitter: @ChrisHarnick

Check out Cuddy's best 'House' moments:

Sam Curcuro

I don't blame her for leaving. She's a top star on the show and should not have to give up any salary. Too bad, maybe the suits who made the decision to cut her pay should also take a cut in pay. What...do what..take a cut in pay? They'd need addition hours on the shrinks couch were they to do that!

February 09 2012 at 2:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ted

Lisa will be missed.hopefully as she just did was on another show.Good as ever.All that left ,were on good terms. The writers better get with it to make new shows with them.

December 09 2011 at 3:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
joselitooyola

i'm going to miss her sexy self!

October 11 2011 at 11:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kimberly M. Burtnyk

I don't understand how I never heard of this before today--the day of the premier! In the last week I learned that 3 of my favorite characters on 3 of my favorite shows are not returning: Christopher Meloni (Eliot on SVU), Laurence Fishburne (CSI), and now Lisa Edelstein! All of these actors apparently made their decisions after the most recent season finales of these shows, in May, and yet all summer I never heard ONE THING about these characters not returning...AND I LIVE IN LA!!! I've seen the new SVU and it's okay, but apparently even Mariska Hargitay is leaving mid-season so I don't anticipate seeking it out anymore. CSI at least has Ted Danson so that's intrigued me enough to tune in. And if it weren't for Hugh Laurie I wouldn't watch House at all, but knowing that Cuddy isn't coming back and the producers are really abandoning character development I almost don't want to watch it anymore either (the premier fell flat for me--I was so looking forward to it and now I'm really bummed out). I don't have cable and it looks like these HUGE developments may herald the end of non-cable network television. And now I hear that 3 of the actors in the Simpsons are also being asked to take pay cuts (how terrible that they only make 8-million dollars per year...). Is this the end of The Simpsons too? I'm so shocked by all these developments. There is nothing out there that can effectively replace House, CSI and SVU. Something horrible happened to television this fall. I don't want to pay for cable so I suppose I'll just be reading a lot more. It's a sad day for non-cable TV.

October 04 2011 at 3:44 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
robin patrick

I love Cuddy, but the show will be fine. In fact, the relationship between House and Cuddy just couldn't go anywhere at this point. They flirted, the hated, the got together, they split, etc. Now we will see House respond to life without Cuddy. Hugh Laurie is an astoundingly creative actor and I think we'll see him at his best. I hate it most of all that the show is going to end. I know all good things do come to an end but I would gladly watch ten more years of House. I think he's the most intriguing character on television.

September 13 2011 at 3:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to robin patrick's comment
Kimberly M. Burtnyk

I agree 100% Hugh Laurie is a genius. I even saw him on Leno last week and there was no mention of Edelstein's departure. It's all just so weird. It looks like the show just imploded when a bunch of actors decided not to return--kinda like when your key players leave your slo-pitch team. There's never a good outcome and the team is never the same... And it's not even like the ratings were bad and people were abandoning ship--that I could understand. This is just...strange. I will miss Hugh Laurie and House enormously when it's no longer on. I'll probably go out and buy the series on DVD.

October 04 2011 at 3:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
browneyechicke

this is the most depressing news ive ever heard..
seriously?! only one more season of House ANDDD Cuddy is leaving ?! Lisa is one the main characters in this show, i believe it will be hard to make this show without her.
**** blows :/

August 29 2011 at 3:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MickeyD675@yahoo.com

Lisa is leaving House. Next to House she is my favorite character. She plays a strong successful character. Being beautiful mature and sexy is secondary.. I hate to say it but like so many people who left a successful series I think she will disappear never to be seen again. If it is to be the last season I wish she would reconsider. That way they could tie up all the loose ends.

August 21 2011 at 4:42 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Mia

my life is over. How can they let a major character, and asset to the show, go?! Her storyline isn't complete yet!! it's just wrong! Plus, they leave the cliffhanger of House and Cuddy, will they, won't they? I swear, if they don't bring her back for the finale, the whole show will end with a bam, and not in a good way. More like the way where you pull the trigger and find out it's one of those stupid clown guns with the sign that says bam in big letters? aka not good.

August 09 2011 at 1:12 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
stealers3505

Have 15 seasons please!!!!!!!!! Im sure Hugh, Robert, and Omar wanna do that its only for the best!!!! Please!!! Do it for the fans and the money please!!!!! House is my life!!!!!

August 05 2011 at 11:31 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
stealers3505

God damnit this sucks that lisa is leaving but what males me even more pissed is that its already the last season of House!!!!!!! I always watch this show and I can't wait for new episodes of this show to come on and now its all over!!!!! I don't fricken understand why they are ending the show so early this is my favorite show ever and its a big popular show I don't want it to end!!!!!!! Please continue house the 3 main characters still agree to do it!!!! Please I love shows about medicine and house @is the best one of all!!!! Please don't end the show soooooooany people im the world watch this show and love it!!! It really only benifits everyone if the show goes on. Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have like 155

August 05 2011 at 11:27 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply