August 23, 2014

The CW Renews 'One Tree Hill,' 'Nikita,' Cancels 'Hellcats'

by Jean Bentley, posted May 17th 2011 4:45PM
One Tree HillThe residents of Tree Hill will have one more season to wrap up their stories.

The CW has picked up veteran soap 'One Tree Hill' for a 13-episode ninth (and presumably final) season. The network has also given freshman drama 'Nikita' the green light for a second season. Unfortunately, that means The CW's other bubble show, 'Hellcats,' is no more.

With the exception of James Lafferty, the entire 'OTH' cast has signed on for next year, though a source told Zap2It that the actor will likely return for at least a few episodes in a guest-starring capacity.

'Nikita,' which saw a creative upswing toward the end of season 1, will get another year to tell the story of Nikita's quest to bring down Division.

On the other hand, another bubble show wasn't so lucky. 'Hellcats,' the cheerleading drama starring Aly Michalka and Ashley Tisdale, was canceled.

Earlier today, The CW picked up 'Secret Circle,' 'Hart of Dixie' and 'The Ringer' for fall. The network will officially unveil its 2011-2012 programming slate on Thursday morning.

Tell us: Are you glad both 'One Tree Hill' and 'Nikita' got renewed? Will you mourn the loss of 'Hellcats'? Share your opinions in the comments.

Follow Jean on Twitter @hijean

jerry

I loved ashley and Aly on hellcats, I cant believe it was cancelled.

August 23 2011 at 6:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
t d

I actually really like watching Hellcats. The story lines were getting more interesting. Nikita is going to the second season. I don't even watch that show. I'm hoping another network will see Hellcats potential and let it have another season. One Tree Hill has been going for a long time. We need something new and fresh like Hellcats.

May 19 2011 at 10:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
joefence

'Nikita' the green light for a second season...Thank Ya, ThankYa Very Much

May 19 2011 at 6:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JRacefan24

I LOVE OTH-----I do think they way it ended was cool on Tuesday. What more can they do-I really don't know.

May 19 2011 at 5:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MJ

I don't care for any of those shows. Just kid junk. shows. Sorry, not even interesting, any of them. The networks need to get real, and find something interesting to adults. Substance = that's the key.

May 19 2011 at 5:17 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
jeffthrow6892

I have to say....... "Hellcats" looked like a pretty pathetic show. And, speaking of pathetic, "One Tree Hill" ran it's course & should have been finished when it's two main characters left a couple of years ago.....

May 19 2011 at 3:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nolazydaizy

I have watched OTH from the beginning, but this season finale could very well have served as the series finale if next season is only going to include James Lafferty in a guest-starring capacity. It was bad enough when the characters of Lucas and Peyton left, but at least they left together - to have Haley without Nathan is unthinkable. I love this show but when something is over, it's over. They tied they character's story lines up nicely and as a loyal viewer, I can say I would have been more than satisfied to call the last episode of this season the last episode of the show. Going back for 13 more without a major character has disappointment written all over it; as tempting as it is to squeeze every last drop out of a good thing, sometimes it's better to just leave well enough alone.

May 19 2011 at 2:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to nolazydaizy's comment
nolazydaizy

Oops, typo - they tied *the character's story lines up, not they.

May 19 2011 at 2:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rive645

Sorry,HELLCATS

May 19 2011 at 2:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rive645

They should have cancelled ONE TREE HILL,that's enough of that.HELLCARS looked like it was getting good,too bad.

May 19 2011 at 2:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Barbara

SOOOOOOO Happy OTH will be back even though it will be it's final season. I think it's a great show and it has and has had a great story line. It has a little bit of something for everyone! I watched one episode of HellCats and it was just not my cup of tea. I am 29yrs old and just can't get enough of OTH! Glad Brooke finally got her babies! I know what that character went through because I am going through the same thing of having a hard time having a baby.

May 19 2011 at 2:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply