April 20, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Martin Short Sings a Tribute to the Killing of Osama Bin Laden (VIDEO)

by Jason Hughes, posted May 18th 2011 4:59AM
Martin Short, 'Late Show with David Letterman'Martin Short went on 'Late Show' (Weeknights, 11:35PM ET on CBS) with a tribute to Osama Bin Laden. Just like Elton John repurposed his song 'Candle in the Wind' to commemorate the death of Princess Diana, Short took that same song to pay tribute to 'Al-Qaeda's Rose.'

It was a beautifully dramatic presentation, with Short poised behind the piano, tickling the ivories. When he reached the lines "It seems to me you lived your life / Like a bastard in the sand / Never knowing when the US / Navy SEALs would land," the camera cut back to show men dressed in uniform representing SEAL Team Six.

By the end of the number, which included lines about Bin Laden getting shot in the face and burning in Hell, an American flag had dropped to emphasize the patriotism of this beautiful moment of cathartic silliness.

Jorge

Jenkies. Is is bad luck to make fun of the death of bad bad men like Joey Stalin or Adolph Hitler? No wonder the world is in such bad shape with all this bad karma... Seriously, it was funny and i chuckled a few times... but MAN IS MARTIN SHORT LOOKIN' OLD!...ouch

August 30 2011 at 11:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lissa Huang

He has died , right?
I heard of the truth is his dead. More from Marshell Green Power CO., LTD, http://www.marshell.net

August 25 2011 at 3:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
navyman135

Martin Short? I thought he died ages ago. No talent hack, always was, always will be.

August 19 2011 at 10:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
vfwbart1

I understand how the public feels about this mad man but by accepting this kind of behavior shows the world that we are no better than all thos epeople that we distaste. I feel that he got what was coming but I don't feel that we should be making humor of it, it's as though we are adding more fuel to the fire. We did what had to be done and we should let it lay there is entirely too much news media keeping it in the news we need to move on sometimes TMI is not good for everyone

May 18 2011 at 11:37 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Hello Treva

Kind of thought this was funny

May 18 2011 at 12:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alphonso Carioti

Bad taste.

May 18 2011 at 10:03 AM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
Gunsmoke

Shold be called: An Ode to Osama and His 100 Guppies !!

May 18 2011 at 9:46 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Tammy

I see nothing wrong with the song. We took out a piece of crap that has killed thousands of people..nothing wrong with celebrating the fact that another evil has been wiped from the earth. I am sick to death of this political correctness CRAP. We are humans not machines that are supposed to just blindly follow some stupid rules about not showing our true feelings because we might offend someone. Tired of the " let's just all get along". I say when there is wrong being done, we kick some arse and take names and if it offends anyone..tough. We are producing a generation of whimps and weanies who will sit back and let terrorists wipe us out because God forbid we offend someone by taking a stand.

May 18 2011 at 9:43 AM Report abuse +5 rate up rate down Reply
nickandjuliej

I'm tired of watching a commercial every time I want to watch a video. I'm done.

May 18 2011 at 9:36 AM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
dede

who is this guy? is he trying to make a comeback or somthing? someone needs to tell him to go back to the 80's cause he is not funny anymore. he sounds and looks like a dumbass....

May 18 2011 at 9:26 AM Report abuse -9 rate up rate down Reply