August 31, 2014

'NCIS' Season 8, Episode 24 (Season Finale) Recap

by Allison Waldman, posted May 18th 2011 12:30AM
ncis_season_finale_2011_mark_harmon_michael_weatherly_cbs['NCIS' - 'Pyramid']

At the halfway point of this season finale, it looked like 'NCIS' had delivered a really great, unexpected surprise involving operation Frankenstein. Unfortunately, the big finish -- while satisfying on one level -- was a dud on another. What saved the day, ultimately, was the cliffhanger ending that should keep us guessing all summer long.

Barrett's team had walked into a trap and Cobb succeeded in doing plenty of damage. Suffice to say that next season, the only NCIS agents working in the office will be Leroy Jethro Gibbs' team.

But there was something very off about Barrett, even after the reveal that she was the niece of Davenport, the SecNav.

The latter information explained why she'd hopscotched over Gibbs to lead the P-to-P investigation. It was nepotism. What was more disturbing was her moment alone with Levin's body ... What was in the container she cut out of Gayne's wrist and why was he carrying that on his body? Was it state secrets or something else?

Cobb was a product of the Frankenstein program, a Vance-inspired notion that had been authorized as a CIA/NCIS operation. Just like its namesake, Frankenstein turned into a monster in the form of killer Cobb. But his focus had shifted from assigned kills to serial killing, to then destroying those who made him a creature.

That said, when he abducted Ziva and then surrendered to NCIS, it was a stunning turn of events. He wasn't following his protocol and, presumably, Gibbs would be able to break him. Rule #16 ... regarding the upper hand.

The twist was a good one, but it didn't build to a good finish. Ziva's kidnapping had been a diversion and without much explanation, Cobb returned home -- the place of his Frankenstein training -- and had Mr. Palmer, Kort and Barrett in his capture.

Davenport put himself in the field to rescue his niece, but if he was the ultimate target for Cobb, why not take the shot? That bulletproof vest on Davenport wasn't going to stop a single shot to the head. And Cobb was a master marksman.

Instead, Cobb threatened to kill Barrett and in a blink of an eye, Gibbs and company blew him away ... literally. He went flying out the window after being riddled with bullets. It was the most uneventful take down ever.

I was expecting something intricate or inventive and it was simply simple. Ho-hum. Compare this to Ziva being captured by Somalian terrorists two seasons ago. Or last season when Gibbs' father was confronted by Paloma and we didn't know if she would kill him or let him live.

Had Cobb's death been the last scene, I'd have been ticked off at 'NCIS' all summer long. But it wasn't. There was Mike's funeral, with the nice touch of Gibbs' woodwork having been used to decorate the coffin, and then there was Ray's proposal.

CI-Ray didn't give Ziva a ring; just an empty box with a promise that he'd be back soon. Sorry, but I think Ziva deserves better. And that was before his text message showed that he was working with Kort.

Barrett was moving on. I didn't fully buy Gibbs asking her to come back some time, but then I think that was intentional subtext. There's something afoot, something that Gibbs knows about Barrett that he's not letting on ... yet.

I'm not sure she's who she claims to be. How was it possible that Cobb let her go twice? He had two chances to kill her and didn't. Maybe she wasn't quite the victim she seemed to be.

The new SecNav had an assignment for Tony, a super secret, double-probation job to find who was selling U.S. intel. Tony's face revealed that the suspect is someone he recognized. The likely candidates were Kort, Ray and E.J. Maybe Cade? It couldn't be anyone on the Gibbs team, could it? Would Ziva be compromising her role in NCIS to share secrets with her father?

And that is why it was a good cliffhanger. I'm dying to know what Tony knows.

'NCIS' airs Tuesdays at 8PM ET on CBS.

tweety9407

NCIS SEASON EIGHT HAS ALOT OF TWIST AND TURNS AND CAN'T WAIT FOR IT TO GO ON SALE SO I CAN GO OUT AND BUY IT. I ALSO CAN;T WAIT FOR SEASON 9 TO START AND I HAVE A COUPLE OF IDEAS WHO ELSE IS INVOLED IN THE MYSTERIS AND WHO IS BEHIND ALOT OF IT. NCIS HAS NEVER FAILED IN KEEPING US INTIRGED AND ON THE EDGE OF OUR SEATS WITH EACH EPISODE. EVERYONE WORKS SO GREAT TOGETHER AND I HOPE THEY ALL STAY WITH THE SHOW. FOR THE CEMISTERY THEY HAVE AS A TREAM AND FAMILY, IS SOMETHING NO OTHER SHOW HAS. THE DRAMA,JOKING AROUND, AND THE LOOKS ABBY AND GIBBS GIVE EACH OTHER IN EACH EPISODE MAKES ME LAUGH,SMILE AND IS TRUELY GREAT.THANK YOU TO THE WRITTERS AND CAST AND CONGRADULATIONS ON BEING ASKED TO DO ANOTHER SEASON.
MURIEL

June 25 2011 at 2:19 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
sixayls

I give the episode a C+. Doesn't it seem quite unusual and lacking in reality that in a Branch of of the Service (the NAVY !!!) that the SECNAV bypasses his own Director to give an assignment to an agent and bypasses that agent's first line supervisor also?? The new SECNAV appears to be a political hack and a pompous ass to boot. After killing numerous people the P to P says, 'OK I'm tired I'm going back to my roots.' Really? And when he could have killed the SECVAV he passed on it? Why are they transporting the P to P to court with only two people (one being the 4 foot nothing Barrett and some unknown guy) AND allowing anyone else in the elevator? The guy is a serial killer!!!! He needs leg irons and several interested people to shoot him if he tries to escape. Barrett cuts something out of her team member's arm AND puts it in an evidence jar. That's quite harder to conceal than just dropping it in your pocket. Is she bringing that somewhere? Tony looked like a jerk in the last scene. He sat there nodding his head and trying to look official. He looked wrong. I love the show but this was disappointing.

May 24 2011 at 5:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ijardine

The Cobb ending was unclear/an anticlimax. He set up the scenario to hurt his "employer" yet he weakly allowed himself to be killed (he didn't know the secnav was resigning few dd).
Barrett and Cobb appeared to communicatein the elevator......
What was the point of Gibbs "talking" to Palmer? There was no follow through.
Cobb died with a smile on his face. What had he achieved to warrant this?
Barrett "would have died if Gibbs hadn't found her, yet it was explained as a non lethal warning??? Question perhaps Barrett was playing the part only.........

Why has the secnav singled out Tony and if he has already been communicating when did this start? i.e. was Tony's liason with Barrett in some way linked to this 'investigation" of the leaks. i.e. the investigation was being worked on around the prior secnav because of the family link, another reason why Vance wasn't being clued in.

Gibbs was always warned Tony that to be in his team he must be 100% open. So the BIG question is: Has Tomy quietly tned in Gibbs? If he has not it will break the dynamics of Tony in the team going forward. So is Tony being groomed to jump over Gibbs and into Vance's job?

It seemed to be that Tony was trying to tell Ziva that his relationship with Barrett was not sigificant and thereby trying to keep her interest.

Ray's interest in Ziva seems like he was saying "I want to, but I cannot".

McGee and Abby seem to e finding each other..this might play out in the Fall.

So many loose ends all over the place. Almost too many.

May 23 2011 at 1:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mr Bad Example

Ray is going to Tel Aviv not to just kill Kort, but to try to shut down the rest of the Frankenstein Program's contracted wet work. And who would the other Project Frankie assassins (remember, they told us Kort handles the "outside" contracts") have in their cross hairs than Ziva's father, Eli David?

May 18 2011 at 6:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Flute Song

The finale was okay, I loved the SECNAV’s guilty involvement and Vance standing up to him for once, The New SECNAV seems to be a real pill so far, he’ll have to earn my interest, the actor is wonderful so maybe I will like him. Uh-oh for Tony undercover, he hates lying to Gibbs and the rest of the team catch on that he is secretive pretty quickly. NO TIVA, ever ever. Didn’t like the almost engagement scene with Ray, that’s not her style, but maybe she is feeling desperate. Ray went to assassinate Kort. He is dead meat I think, between Kort and Eli David, he’s out manned and out gunned. LOL
The casket was lovely and I am glad Gibbs knew Mike was already dying and went out in a fight, like he would have wanted to go instead of suffering in a bed being fussed over.
There was no romance or any red-heads this season for Gibbs, he needs a bit on the side again.
I will be there next season.

May 18 2011 at 6:20 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Flute Song's comment
Charlie

The assignment to monitor someone that the new SECNAV (who appears to be an a**hole) is to monitor/watch Jethro Gibbs (IMHO)!!!!

May 19 2011 at 4:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike Siroky

I too wondered about the capsule. And I wondered why Ducky did not detect the extra cut in his autopsy (maybe he did and he and Jethro are on alert). Jethro has been a step up on EJ since her arrival.
Yes the killer was tired of killing and should offed the SecNav who was off the series anyway.
I like Kort.
I think Tony needs to watch over Ziva's possible treason (of course she is innocent and it will be the boyfriend). I don't like that Tony is contantly compromised by higher-ups. He's gotta tell Gibbs this time. Last time he didn't share secret assignments, it cost Jenny her life

May 18 2011 at 3:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

Overall, this was an enjoyable episode that brought an end to the PtP killer, a plot a never really cared about. If it's not Gibbs and team, who cares. I was nice to the new SecNav immediately put Vance in his place, something you could tell he wasn't use to. I see a future dust-up with those two, especially if Tony is given freedom to bypass Vance. I wonder if Tony will fill Gibbs in this time. He has great respect for Gibbs but I don't think it bothers him one but to keep secrets from him. Time will tell. A good set up to the next season.

May 18 2011 at 3:24 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Debbie

I thought this was a great episode! Loved the scene with McGee and Abbey and agree that he basically spilled his feelings for her :)

Now who is the leaker? Obviously Ray is part of the 2nd group of "Frankenstein" - the assassins and at first I thought Ray would be the leak but I forgot about the "thing" EJ slid out of dead guys wrist. This has me wondering if it is EJ or the ex-SecNav.

Do we really have to wait all summer?

May 18 2011 at 12:07 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Jana

I LOVE this show and thought it was a great service to Mike Franks! I love the way they showed Gibbs' intricate work on the coffin. I agree that EJ (who I don't care for) will be back and I think that is who is being investigated. I think that is why Tony was hanging around her to begin with, there was suspicion and Gibbs put him on it. It's also why he made sure he knew where she was heading and what she was going to be doing at the end. I think when we thought Gibbs was reprimanding him for having an affair with her a few episodes back, he was actually warning him not to fall in love again with a case suspect. I do wish there had been more Abby and Ziva and McGee. The way Cobb dies was suspicious also. It was too easy as someone else pointed out. He could have easily taken a head shot of the secnav but didn't? I think he knew they needed him alive to catch the niece and him in the secret leaking business. Vance is a waste and I wish they'd bring someone else in. Have never liked his character and would like to see someone in who is backing up Gibbs like Lauren Holly did. I'll miss Franks a lot. It was always fun and interesting when he popped up in a scene. RIP Mike.

May 18 2011 at 11:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pennagirl

Oh, few more things...I wish Mike Franks didn't die, but at least he did it his way and not by cancer. Going to miss Trent Kort, love it when he shows up. Get rid of E.J. and CIRay. Can't stand the characters....Ray is the more tolerable of the two.

May 18 2011 at 11:00 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply