April 24, 2014

Who is Catherine Tate? Why We Think She'd Be Great on 'The Office'

by Chris Harnick, posted May 19th 2011 1:00PM
Catherine TateChances are, Catherine Tate isn't a household name in your home ... yet.

However, reports indicate the English actress is the frontrunner to join NBC's 'The Office' as the new boss.

Tate will make her 'Office' debut on tonight's one-hour season finale (Thurs., May 19, 9PM ET). She's one of many famous faces -- including Ray Romano, Warren Buffett, Jim Carrey, Will Arnett, Ricky Gervais and James Spader -- vying for the job vacated by Steve Carell's Michael Scott.

Yep, that's a lot of big names, so why is Tate right for the job? Simple: She's pretty damn funny.

The star of her own series, 'The Catherine Tate Show,' Tate has won several BAFTAs and was nominated for an International Emmy.

The sketch comedy show, which she co-created, ran for three seasons between 2004-2007. The show and Tate became well-known for several characters including Lauren Cooper, a lazy teen, and Nan, a very foul-mouthed grandmother. Tate even starred as Nan in a 2009 Christmas special. To get a taste of her skills, watch the Lauren Cooper clip below or check out the series, which is available on Netflix.

You're watching Lauren on Beyonce - The Catherine Tate Show - BBC comedy. See the Web's top videos on AOL Video

On her series, Tate proved herself a master of comedy, making her a nice fit at Dunder Mifflin Sabre.

In 2008, Tate endeared herself to millions as Donna Noble, a companion to the Doctor on the wildly popular 'Doctor Who.' The role, a mix of drama and comedy, introduced Tate to a brand new fanbase. Watch a clip of Tate as Donna here:

According to the Hollywood Reporter, producers want Tate for the job, but her prior theater commitment could kill the deal. Tate is set to appear opposite her 'Doctor Who' costar David Tennant in 'Much Ado About Nothing' in London. Although the show is set to close in early September, that would still give her quite a commute to film the first part of the 'Office' season in L.A. this summer.

But out of all the people interviewing for the job, Tate is the most feasible option. Romano has 'Men of a Certain Age,' Arnett's pilot 'Up All Night' has made it to series at NBC, Carrey's busy making movies, Buffett is a gag cameo and Gervais seems unlikely.

Producers are reportedly still considering James Spader, but are looking for the new character to have the same Michael Scott "sweetness," which isn't exactly Spader's M.O.

So that leaves Tate -- a woman, a Brit (where the 'Office' originated, remember) and a relative unknown in the States. Sounds perfect to us!

Tell us: Do you think Catherine Tate is a good fit?

ZadocPaet

I think Michael was the only thing saving the show. It doesn't matter who replaces him, it can be as good as it used to be if they make it about Jim and Pam again.

Poll: Will Catherine Tate make a good top boss on 'The Office'?
Link: http://www.wepolls.com/r/457001

May 20 2011 at 3:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
alndsy304

This article completely forgot to mention the fact that Andy is a viable choice candidate as well. When he interviewed for the position he was cut off by Gabe's hatred for him and Joan seem to like him before she ripped into Gabe for getting involved with "these people". Don't get me wrong I think Tate would make a good fit even though I haven't seen her shows. She's very funny, but I think The Office is looking to hire within. Regardless of who gets the job, it's going to be great as always.

May 20 2011 at 2:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cassie

I'm all for Catherine getting a meaty role like this here in the States...provided she does it after I see her and David perform in Much Ado About Nothing in August! :)

May 19 2011 at 8:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
foolish501

I don't watch the office, but if Catherine Tate was to be the new boss then i would tune in for sure, she is comic genius

May 19 2011 at 8:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JBob250

I initially didnt like her on Doctor Who, thought she was too old to be a companion, but i warmed up to her. Still not as good as other companions, but still entertaining... at times... hm i started this thinking i would type my approval, but now im figuring out that im really not that big of a fan lol

May 19 2011 at 5:46 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Brad456

I Love Catherine Tate.
I don't watch the office.
I would watch it to see her.

May 19 2011 at 5:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sporteric11

Catherine Tate is great. I just watched her on BBC America on the Graham Norton Talk show and she was hysterical. I am a Doctor Who fan and watched her on that show also. I am an engineer and physicist who rarely watches TV but I like the Office and think that she would be a great fit. I have one of her comedy sketches from a telethon performing with David Tennant and thought that their chemistry was amazing and would like to get a video of their new play if they ever put it on dvd.

May 19 2011 at 3:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Sporteric11's comment
Sporteric11

The skit was from UK Comic Relief where Tennant was a substitute teacher and she was a mouthy student...it was hilarious !!!

May 19 2011 at 3:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

Lauren IMHO is Tate's best character. I recently watched all the Catherine Tate Show episodes and the Lauren character never ceased to crack me up, sometimes laugh out loud funny. Of course, I also think she was the best of the companions during David Tennant's time as Doctor Who (even more so than Rose).

May 19 2011 at 2:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jgallagher7330

You forgot this one - from the UK's Comic Relief a few years ago - it's a classic.

May 19 2011 at 1:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ann - WG

My only comment is to quote the Tenth Doctor: Brilliant!

May 19 2011 at 1:33 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply