'Something Pitchy:' 'American Idol' Top 3 Semi-Final Marathon!

by Hilary Rothing, posted May 19th 2011 1:47AM
We're down to the Top 3, with just Haley, Scotty and Lauren holding onto a shot at the 'American Idol' crown. Tonight, the trio performed a selection of songs chosen by themselves, the judges and Jimmy Iovine. With Beyonce dropping by to hand-hold during the first round of performances, the pressure was on.

Who's really "in it to win it"? We've got a few thoughts on that, as well as some interesting tidbits on country radio's reaction to down home favorite, Scotty McCreery, plus who'll be around for next week's finale showdown. Find out what myself, MJ Santilli (MJ's Big Blog) and Rickey Yaneza (Rickey.org) have to say about tonight's two-hour, nine performances marathon on this post-Top 3 edition of AOL's 'American Idol' talk show, 'Something Pitchy.'

'American Idol' airs Wednesdays and Thursdays at 8PM ET on FOX.

johnlwings

I did not want to believe my father. In his day he produced famous country stars in Nashville. He is 79 and he and I watched nearly episode of American Idol 2011 together. As I was glued to each performance early in the eliminations, he said to me, "Son, the show is rigged from the get go!" He picked the winner early. He picked the loosers early... he was so right on. I never believed him ... bet we watched mega-talent being tossed and lesser talents shamefully remain. And he chuckled at me pounding away at the speed dial during the voting. You are wasting your time, he said. The winner is already chosen no matter what the public votes. It is a TV show. And the powers behind the scenes have long ago decided who was worth the grooming and the nation-wide attention. The kids all have talent, but some have an inside track and that is just the way it is.
But, Dad, you were so right and my hat is off to you. Come to think about it, I wonder who can remember all 9 of the previous AI winners? Anyone? Perhaps a few... but who can remember all 9 of the people who came in 2nd?
Well... there you go. Just like yesterdays newspaper, something forgotten!
I am standing with a watchful eye for Casey's Career to unfold. I have cash in hand for his first CD. Haley will be a super star as well. But others from this years contestants also have promise. It is just Country/Rock's year and that has been bought and paid for already, according to Dad. The final two are both so young and have time to mature, but sadly, neither can pack a stadium alone... Durban may, Haley may, Casey's potential goes beyond performing and his stardom will make him a shaker and mover of the industry... what ever he wants. But the clock for Scotty and Lauren and what they offer is already ticking fast... next year, they will know what they are up against and their hearts will have to harden if they want to stay on top... good luck to them. I wish them well ... all of them, but some who have been tossed are forces to be reckoned with already... that is just the way it is.

May 23 2011 at 9:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
IDOL

Looks like we'll be getting a fourth (consecutive) white guitar-playing male to win IDOL.....that's america for ya!

May 19 2011 at 11:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edith

HI! SCOTT.
I WATCH THE PROGRAM AND I CAN SEE THAT YOU ARE THE BEST OF ALL I AM PRETTY SURE THAT YOU
ARE GOING TO BE THE WINNER OFAMERICAN IDOL 2011 ,DON"T THINK TWICE YOUR LOOKS AND THAT
WONDERFUL AND DEEP VOICE SAY IT ALL. .YOU WILL BE MY IDOL I AM SURE BECAUSE WE THE
PEOPLE CAN ASSURE YOU THAT YOU ARE THE BEST. KEEP IT UP AND I WILL BE SEEN YOU IN
NASHVILLE WITH THE NUMBER ONE IN THE BILLBOARD. GOOD LUCK... HUGHS.....EDITH ( CANADA).

May 19 2011 at 5:06 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Edith

ED
HELLO SCOTTY . I AM PRETTY SURE THAT YOU WILL BE THE WINNER. WHEN YOU SING THE TITTLE OF
KENNY ROGERS I M TELLING YOU I MELTED THAT IS ONE OF THE SONGS THAT I LOVE THE MOST.
KEEP ITUP THAT VERY SOON I WILL SEE YOU OR HEAR YOU ARE IN THE TOP OF THE BILLBOARD IN
NASHVILLE I M VERY SURE , YOU BE POSITIVE AND EVERYTHING AND MOSTLY YOU DREAM WILL
COME TRUE. I HOPE YOU RECEIVE THIS MESSAGEAND MY HEART YOU ALREADY ARE THE
"AMERICAN IDOL 2011 "MY BEST WISHES WITH ALL MY HEART. BIG HUGS. E.ONTARIO.CANADA

May 19 2011 at 5:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Don

Lauren is the best of the girls. Scotty is also great. Meet the next generation Kenny And Dolly !!!!! I think we should have a dual American Idol this year ..

May 19 2011 at 12:49 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Pete

HEY GUYS FROM SOMETHING PITCHY. I THANK YOU 3 FOR POSTING AND GIVING HONEST FEEDBACK.
I CAN SAY THIS IS THE FIRST TIME I AGREED WHAT YOU 3 HAD TO SAY.

May 19 2011 at 12:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Grady Smith

Hey guys, I love Something Pitchy each week, but I think it's getting a little bit bloated now that the season is coming to a close. It's one thing if the videos are edited, but since they aren't, the meandering questions and wondering points can feel very tedious. I think if you tightened up the show and made things more organized by determining a few talking points before shooting, it would be much more fun to watch! That being said--keep up the good work!

May 19 2011 at 12:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Grady Smith

May 19 2011 at 12:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lopedz

WHO SAID THAT JENIFER LOPEZ IS A SINGER SHE DOESN'T KNOW WHO TO SING THE ONLY SINGER IS STEVE TYLER. JENNIFER KNOW HOW TO MOVE THE ASS

May 19 2011 at 10:57 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
lizandler

First, thanks for "Something Pitchy." You all crack me up. I put my vote out there for Haley despite the poor performance of "You Oughta Know." She has the most interesting voice and takes risks. Her songs were definitely much more difficult to sing. The Zep song was outstanding. I enjoy Scotty when he uses his deep voice. I don't understand why the judges keep wanting to turn him into a tenor. His second song was his best of the night. Lauren is just too scared to be a great performer. Something happened to clip her confidence early on and she has never regained it. And somebody needs to tell her to stop doing the little "thank you" that she tacks on to every performance. It screams talent show, not professional singer. I am hoping one of the country kids goes because, while I enjoy a little country, I will not enjoy an entire finale of country. The 6 country songs from last night just about did me in.

May 19 2011 at 10:43 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply