October 24, 2014

Showtime Cancels 'United States of Tara'; Renews 'Nurse Jackie,' 'The Borgias'

by Chris Harnick, posted May 23rd 2011 2:00PM
United States of Tara, Nurse Jackie'United States of Tara' is coming to an end. Showtime has canceled the Toni Collette comedy.

According to Variety, the third season, which is currently airing, will be the last. Fellow comedy 'Nurse Jackie' has been renewed for a fourth season.

Freshman period drama 'The Borgias' has also been renewed.

'Tara' follows Collette as a suburban mom and wife who struggles with her multiple personalities. The show, which is executive produced by Steven Spielberg and Diablo Cody, got Collette an Emmy. However, the series has been shedding viewers since its premiere.

Variety reports the series has been averaging 326,000 viewers after its original Monday broadcast and 1.9 million viewers when repeats, DVR playback and on-demand service is counted. It's a decent number for a cable show, but it's 30 percent lower than the show did last season.

'Tara' creator Diablo Cody issued a statement via Twitter: "TARA got canned, everyone. I feel sick, but proud. Each season got better. Best/nicest cast & CREW ever. Toni=God. Thank YOU for watching!"

'Nurse Jackie' has suffered in the ratings department, but not as drastically as 'Tara.' Its first-run numbers have bounced between 400,000 and 600,00 viewers, but the series averages 2.8 million weekly viewers when DVR playback, on-demand and reruns are factored in. Star Edie Falco recently took home the Emmy for Best Actress in a Comedy.

Tell us: Will you miss 'United States of Tara' and check out PopEater's interview with Collette.

ashleev09

why would you end United states of tara?? It's a great show!!! I was expecting more after that last episode

January 29 2012 at 3:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sandywolfhawk

I am so sorry that you are canceling Tara 7 NOT Nurse Jackie. Not impressed with Nurse Jackie after watching several episodes. US of Tara is so awesome. I don't get a chance to watch the exact night it's on, but do catch up. I have stay up late nights rewatching. It has begun to get so interesting. Why do you do this? Get to a certain point where people want more and then you cancel it? Please keep it for another season. There are so many more avenues to be discovered.

May 25 2011 at 9:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve

Showtime, HBO, Cinemax, Stars, Encore...All showing old movies that you find on regular tv.
Only difference is that the shows on these "premium" channels allow uncut versions. Big Deal.
I refuse to pay extra for these channels when I can enjoy regular tv, watching the same movies without the language and nudity. The networks blank them out, but you get the idea. As far as the shows mentioned in this article, who cares if they cancel them or not. Television is terrible these days....period. When you get right to it, you can only watch one program at a time.

May 24 2011 at 5:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Victor

I think it is time the public grew up. This is 2011, most of these people are caught in a time warp It seems noone wants to watch anything that mirrors rea llife. That is why I enjoy shows from England and all over Europs so much more. All we have here are these stupid reality shows and a--holes like The Donald

May 24 2011 at 5:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wktlnk

Is it just me,or does anybody else notice that shows like these seem to do MUCH BETTER ON CABLE TV THAN ON THE MAJOR NETWORKS?
I wanna hear from some other readers out there.
Do you think EITHER of these shows would have stood a chance on ,say,FOX or ABC?
And what does this say about the integrity(or the LACK of it) of the major networks that they wouldn't take these shows(example: a new series starring Sarah Michelle Gellar ,originally intended for CBS ,was picked up by the CW instead. Maybe they're still reeling from all the Charlie Sheen drama) ?

May 24 2011 at 3:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
qwester

USoT was/is an excellent show! i am sorry to see it gone. it is clear that they added the alters to kill them off as part of the bryce alter introduction. it's a dramedy, Get Over the gay issues, some of us can relate to that kid! maybe the show is too smart; it didn't get stupider- it got deeper. understanding the level of abuse toni colette's character would have went through and the 'dramatic' turn of DID, as tara calls it, may have been odd, but it was unique on TV- handled sensitvely. finally, i will miss Alice... and hope they don't 'cleverly integrate' as the show wraps up.

May 24 2011 at 3:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tmom1

This just bites. I love USOT... and yeah, it got a bit deep and not comedic, at times but, well.. DID is a pretty nasty condtion. I used to watch this and just think, ' Max, what in the hell were you thinking?' I can do without Nurse Jackie.. I'm a nurse and I believe the creator of the series, was a nurse. Some of the things that go on during that half hour, just simply do not happen in the hospital setting. To me, coming from where it is I come, watching all the inaccuracies, makes it difficult for me to suspend belief. There's no way a nurse would be able to steal narcotics like that... and no way a pharmacist would be able to do the same, and get away with it. Just.. no. The main reasons I watch SHO, are Dexter, Californication, Tara and now, The Big C. Never got into the Tudors and can't find it in myself, to get into the Borgias... So.. now that they've cancelled Tara, what's next? C'mon Showtime, bring Tara back.. As an aside.. I don't have any problem at all, with the gay son storyline. I'm as straight as they come... but, sex is sex. Why is it okay for straight sex to be portrayed, and not gay sex? Like I said, it never really bothered me... It bothers me more, that Jackie lies about.. well, everything... and seems to get away with it. In my opinion, they cancelled the wrong show...

May 24 2011 at 2:55 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Rodney

I'm not going to miss it. It seemed like every week they had to get a little more graphic with the young boy gayfest. It's kind of like euthanizing an animal. I know it goes on but that doesn't mean I want to watch it as entertainment. The gay guy on Nurse Jackie is much more fun to watch.

May 24 2011 at 2:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Rodney's comment
Dianne

Are you kidding? Gay sex is HOT! And I say this as a straight woman. Seeing two men kiss is one of the sexiest things one can see. And more than a kiss, even better. Homophobia is so last milennium.

May 24 2011 at 4:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sandywolfhawk

It doesn't seem to bother most guys like you to see two women together though. He's a young boy just realizing that he's gay. That's the problem with people like you. You can't except reality as it is. Yes I am a straight woman, but have had and still do have many gay friends. If you would take the time to see that they have real feelings just like you only it doesn't fit into your dream of what you think reality should be. I feel sorry for you.

May 25 2011 at 9:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ksmyswtrdchrypls

SERIOUSLY? The United States of Tara is the ONLY reason I even subscribe to Showtime.

May 24 2011 at 2:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to ksmyswtrdchrypls's comment
sandywolfhawk

DITTO!!!

May 25 2011 at 9:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dallas

I like Tara but the show needed new writers. A half hour show doesn't need more characters for Tara. Write the show as a tongue in cheek comedy-satire and concentrate on situations Tara's characters get into outside of the home. I agree the gay deal with the kid sucks, let him be a regular kid enduring a screwy mother. I know a mother that used to chase her kids around the house carrying a knife and screaming. That could be some funny s--t if done right.
As far as Nurse Jackie I watch it but the drug habit is tiring like a one line joke and with everyone elses lives dealed in a half hour is too short.
But then what do I know, I'm just one trying to watch this stuff. Or for some industries, the customer.

May 24 2011 at 2:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply