November 23, 2014

'Supernatural' Loses an Angel: Misha Collins Won't Be a Series Regular in Season 7

by Maureen Ryan, posted May 23rd 2011 9:15AM
There's big news in the 'Supernatural' realm: Misha Collins, who plays the angel Castiel, won't be a series regular in season 7 of the CW show. 'Supernatural' executive producer and showrunner Sera Gamble told TV Line's Vlada Gelman that though there will be angelic story lines next season, they'll be more "self-enclosed."

"We love Misha. We love and adore the character of Castiel," Gamble said. "His character developed to this extent and went in this unexpected direction because we were so inspired by him."

The unexpected development in Friday's season finale (which I wrote about here): Cas has incredible new powers, which he acquired when he broke open Purgatory and used the souls there to give himself god-like abilities.

Collins joined the show in season 4 and was an instant fan favorite. The actor was made a series regular for seasons 5 and 6, but some 'Supernatural' devotees were disappointed that there wasn't more of his angelic presence in season 6, which saw Cas making a secret pact with Crowley, the king of Hell.

Castiel's ascension to god-like status will be "what we'll be exploring next season," Gamble said. He'll return for the season opener, but beyond that, Gamble couldn't say much without giving away some season 7 story lines.

"When it comes to 'Supernatural,' our philosophy is that everyone moves in and out and weaves in and out of the story, obviously with the exception of Sam and Dean," Gamble added.

TV Line's Gelman also noted that two important names -- Eric Kripke and Ben Edlund -- were not mentioned the recent CW "Upfront" press release about the network's 2011-2012 season. Kripke, who stepped down as showrunner but kept the title executive producer for season 6, created 'Supernatural,' and Edlund, a longtime writer who's penned many fan-favorite episodes, held the title executive producer in seasons 5 and 6.

Though their names were not mentioned in the Upfront press release, Gamble said that they're both still working on the show.

"Their titles have changed," Gamble said. "There are a lot of technical and contractual reasons that people's titles change that don't necessarily reflect their level of involvement or commitment to the show. ... They've been in the [writers] room with me every day this week."

Speaking of season 7, what do we know about it? Here's what the CW 2011-2012 press release had to say about what's to come in the fall:

"[I]n season seven, the Winchesters will find themselves in an increasingly sinister, changing landscape, up against a new foe unlike anything they've ever fought. They'll find their old tricks, weapons and hiding places all rendered useless. All they'll have is each other. And the certainty that, like the last of the cowboy outlaws, whatever they face, they're not going down without a fight."

Hmmm... what makes me a little uneasy is this part of the press release: "All they'll have is each other." In my review of the season 6 finale, I talked about how the Winchesters' world seems pretty limited these days, if not a little claustrophobic. I hope season 7 isn't just Sam and Dean almost all of the time. As much as I love the performances of Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki, the supporting and recurring characters are a big part of what makes the show's world interesting and emotionally rich.

But we'll have to wait until September to see what's on tap.

'Supernatural' fans, what do you think of what's to come in season 7? And be sure to weigh in on the discussion of the season 6 finale here.

But remember, keep comments civil and polite or they will be deleted. Thank you!

Follow @MoRyan on Twitter.

valenworth

They've ruined this great show with one of the most b o r i n g actors I've ever seen. He's unattractive, uninteresting, unpleasant, annoying and totally asexual. The show used to be about Sam & Dean--now it's about Sam & Dean & Gorpy. What a shame. This is a tragic mistake similar to what destroyed several great shows (X-Files, Moonlighting, etc.)...AL

July 30 2011 at 8:01 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Fika Yolanda

I love the show since S1.01,
I think of it as more comedy than horror, I always laugh about something stupid that the brothers do or say to each other. The humor in this show is just one of a kind, and I'm not saying this in a sarcastic way or whatsoever, but I initially truly love this show cause of its sense of humor between the brothers.
The "jerk" - "bitch" line is just captivating :D
But then came along Castiel in season 4. It just woke me up and get all more excited about the show. It became more than just an entertainment.
The plot became larger than just brothers hunting same different stuff over and over again.

Even though sometimes I find the angel and demon (even prophet) ridiculous, and get all "wh - what??!" each time, but I'm very happy how this show has evolved and grow. And I'm also happy for the brothers, that they get to have additional families that (hopefully) doesn't die.. Each episode I pray that neither Bobby or Castiel is killed, cause I know that the brothers will be all alone again, and I truly just want them to be happy. I mean they already lost parents and close friends, and it's gonna be so devastating if they lost Bobby or Cas that is just practically family.
Their relationship as brothers are still there and always will be, as they are the core of the show, but the good thing about having Bobby and Cas around them is, you get to feel that they have someone else they can depend on, and emotions involved are more intriguing than just two people involved. You know that Sam and Dean can always turn to Bobby or Cas if either of them is in trouble.. Dean wouldn't need to suck it up all alone if something happens to Sam and vice-versa..

So, all in all, I really do think Cas needs to be saved, don't think he deserves a nasty ending like that. He did bleed and give everything up for the brothers. Sam and Dean needs him as much as they need Bobby. They're family now.

June 13 2011 at 1:17 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Scarlett

I do wish they would reconsider; this will seriously affect my enjoyment of the show and I may not be able to continue watching. I have struggled with depression for several years but had been going through a good patch for a while now. After the finale and the news of Misha's demotion I relapsed for two weeks and then again for a couple of days, and I fear that I won't be able to keep watching the show next season for my own health. I know it's pathetic and dangerous to pin so much onto a show, but my enjoyment of the show, characters, actors and fandom is one of the few things that has kept me going over the years and it will pain me greatly to give that up. While I appreciate it is the writers' prerogative to create their own art, I wish they would consider how greatly the show can affect those watching.

On a less personal note, while the show is ultimately about Sam and Dean, and I have a great love for those characters, I feel this will have a detrimental effect on the show. The relationship between the brothers has been rehashed so many times over the years that it has become slightly stale and needs the support of other characters. It is a shame that so many promising, entertaining characters are written off the show. Castiel has been a great addition and his relationship with Dean has become just as popular with some fans as that of the brothers. The writers seem to feel that the show is only about the WInchesters and no one else is truly necessary, but to many (although I do appreciate not all!) Castiel has become equally indispensable and loved. Season 4 enjoyed a renewed burst of enthusiasm among the fandom and critics due in large part to the freshness brought by Castiel's introduction and the new, compelling Dean-Castiel relationship in which they could become invested. This past season has not been well received (although I have enjoyed it more than most), but the more popular episodes, for the most part, contained a decent amount of Misha/Castiel and I don't think this is a coincidence.

The thought of quitting this show devastates me but unless the writers change their minds I don't think I will have any alternative. I shall see how I feel after the first few episodes and we have more of an idea of where the story is going but at the moment it looks unlikely that it will take the direction I'm so hoping for and redeem Castiel. What a disappointing, heart-breaking end to a long-running love affair with my favorite show!

June 12 2011 at 7:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JarvisW

I would be greatly disappointed if Castiel was turned irredeemably evil or was written off the show. The episodes featuring Misha were a highlight for me during the past season.

I'm rather ambivalent about the 7th series being described as going back to its roots and concentrating on the Winchester brothers /only/. Isn't that what more than the first half of the past season was all about? And, frankly speaking, it was somewhat disappointing.

Furthermore, I don't understand the reasoning of those few who claim that the writers should get rid of Cas because the entire angels subplot got stale. Isn't that exactly what Cas accomplished, all on his own? I think it's safe to say that the Apocalypse / Civil War storyline is done an over with, what with Raphael being dead (and his followers being as good as) and Cas not being an angel anymore.

Personally I would love to see Castiel redeem himself (with Dean's and Sam's help), sacrifice his powers and turn human, just for the symmetry's sake ("I'm an Angel, Dean. You are only human.")

June 10 2011 at 11:17 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
twoCents

How bad does your life have suck before your own guardian angel betrays you?? Think of the symbology of that. It might be an original twist. :) Got to say, wicked finale, no one predicted it, and we're all on the edge of our seats for S7, hopefully not vomiting...

Did Sam & Dean Winchester betray their friend Cas too? Kind of vague on that.

I wanted some distance before commenting on this. My best bud in fandom lost 10 lbs since the Cas!tastrophe, like going thru a bad break up. I know of another who had a big birthday party on finale day, and a dozen or more people were all so traumatized that they went home without cake. Horrible. Normally I enjoy twists (except for some in the TV show Heroes). But this finale, topped with Misha news, made me want to vomit.
Sorry writers, I know it's hard to stay fresh & ahead of the fans.

Why do Supernatural characters hit people so hard??
I guess Castiel added like a spiritual dimension to Sam/Dean's hero's journey, in the face of an indifferent Heaven. Don't we all feel like we face an indifferent Heaven?? And secretly hope for some peon in Heaven to give a damn, at least?? I think that people felt like their own guardian angel went bug-nuts & betrayed them.

Well, I don't know where Sam/Dean's hero's journey is leading. But so far, it sounds like it really sucks. All the darkness that was epic in S5 just seemed horrible in S6. What's the theme of this show supposed to be anyway?? All the plot twists & characterization & dialog seem good enough. But, what does it add up to? I bet a writer would hate to hear a complaint like that. :)

Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play??
Normally I'd be excited about "Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid" next season. But, I'll just comfort myself saying, there are other shows, you don't have to watch anymore.

June 08 2011 at 10:14 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
Beth

I'm worried about this. Firstly because Castiel is among the most compelling characters I have come across. The episodes of Supernatural which I really look forward to are the ones which include Castiel as a major player in the story. But also because we need all the main characters to appreciate any of them.

Dean and Sam (also recently Balthazar and Crowley) in their interactions with Castiel draw him out of himself in a way which increases our ability to appreciate his character. But Castiel is also essential to the show's ability to portray Sam and Dean's relationship in a way that breaks new ground. The presence of other characters (e.g. John, Jessica and Castiel) with whom Sam and Dean have profound but differing relationships complicates Sam and Dean's relationship in a way that makes it interest and compelling. When such a third character is present Sam and Dean's relationship to each other has to navigate their different relationships to that person. I don't think Bobby really counts here because despite all the minor differences the relationships between Sam and Bobby and Dean and Bobby are ultimately too similar to create any real interest when Sam and Dean have to relate to each other and each has to relate to Bobby as well. The interest the dynamic I'm talking about creates can be seen for example in 5x06. Without this dynamic I think what we are left with is predictable and, as others have said, claustrophobic.

When it comes down to it - Do Sam and Dean love each other and will they continue to do so? - Yes, Will they fight but end up back together?-Yes, Will their mutually loving relationship remain much the same despite some flip-flops? - Yes, Will the bad guy be heroically defeated in the end by Sam and Dean? -Yes, Will the earth survive? - Yes, Will Sam or Dean die? - It doesn't matter because they'll just come back to life.

At this point and given what happened with Lisa and Ben in 6x21 and that Bobby has much the same relationship with each as mentioned above I think that without Castiel there's no one to play this crucial role and thus as well as losing Castiel we lose the opportunity to explore Sam and Dean's relationship further.

I disagree with those who say that this is going back to season 1/season 2 where the show was just about Sam and Dean because I think seasons 1 and 2 were about Sam and Dean and John. John was very important to each but they each had a different relationship with him and their differing relationships with John complicated their relationship with each other in a way that was interesting and illuminating.

So I'm worried but I'm also ambivalent; the Castiel in the season 6 finale wasn't the character I know. Facing the prospect of a Season 7 with either a Castiel who isn't Castiel or else no Castiel at all I'm inclined to think I should stop watching and appreciate what I was given. It's just hard to let go; 6x20 was amazing.

May 31 2011 at 5:05 PM Report abuse +6 rate up rate down Reply
Nikkie_Russell

I understand that the show is about the brothers but they gave us this other character to care about and now they are just going to do away with him like he never mattered at all? This show has gotten more and more depressing throughout the years, it's almost unbearable to watch. The Winchester's cant have a single nice thing in their life and now they want to get rid of their only other friend?
I will stop watching if they get rid of Castiel. I am so involved in fandom and this show is a major part of my life (odd, I know) but I just won't be able to watch this show I love become even more hopeless. People love Castiel - it will be a huge mistake to kill him off. If Sera or any writers are reading this - please reconsider. I'm NOT the only dedicated fan that feels this way. And I know casual fans who are upset about Castiel maybe leaving too. Don't do it.

May 31 2011 at 1:23 PM Report abuse +5 rate up rate down Reply
Angie

I keep reading comments on how they should just focus on the brothers again that they have lost sight on the show of just THEM,and its a family thing..and how ppl are sick of the "Angels" and stuff like that I'm not trying to diss you all saying it but it needs other characters DUH..its what makes it exciting and Cas IS pretty much like a brother/family to them..Dean has said it himself...I just dont know how some of you saying its for the best of Cas leaving... and actually alot of the characters who have got killed off...I for ONE don't want to just keep watching the same ol theme with the same Ol two brothers driving the impala and hunting things. And dont think I'm just saying this cuz of Cas. I'm a Dean fan..but it needs more characters so the show stays spiced up I think and Cas really does a good job doing that!! And I have been there since season 1 first episode and was very happy when new ppl showed up on the show expecially Castiel (Cas)...

May 27 2011 at 11:58 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
LuneCarmin

Apparently some people have had the same reaction about Castiel turning evil. This character has generated a lot of fans whom are very invested in the : "CASTIEL MUST BE SAVED OR WE QUIT THIS SHOW! THIS IS AN ULTIMATUM !". I understand those reactions and I would have been pleased also to see Castiel staying in the role of the good angel, always there for Sam and Dean, helping them. But personally to make me stop to watch this show it'll need much more than the disappearing of a supporting role (and disappearance like this happens a lot in Supernatural!!). I don't watch Supernatural just for one character.

I need a really good reason to stop watching a show I enjoy. Like for example I quit watching "Sons of Anarchy" before the end of the first season because after a few episodes I noticed that I was still expecting for the good guys to show up. I finally understand that the so-called heroes of this show was just a bunch of murderers, torturers, drug dealers, arms traffickers, pimps... treating women like objects of no value.

May 27 2011 at 1:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to LuneCarmin's comment
DDavina

I don't watch Supernatural for just one character either. And if there were a variety of interesting supporting characters and one was being killed off, even if that one happened to be my favorite, I would accept it. The problem with Supernatural is that there were three regular characters and one is possibily being done away with. So it's not a question of leaving because of one character leaving but of not finding the remaining two enough after six seasons of them.

May 27 2011 at 10:36 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
DDavina

After reading Sera Gamble's interview where she says that next season will be like Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, just the brothers against the world sort of thing, I think I'm just going to give up on the show. It's not fun anymore and they've gotten rid of every interesting supporting character. I"m sure Cas is a goner in the premiere. Unless I read someplace the Cas will be around at least as a recurring character, I'm not going to bother anymore.

May 26 2011 at 8:30 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply