July 28, 2014

Christopher Meloni Not Returning to 'Law & Order: SVU'

by Maggie Furlong, posted May 24th 2011 9:00PM
Christopher Meloni, Law & Order: SVUThe 'Law & Order' franchise drama continues -- with or without the shows' stars.

For weeks, rumors have been swirling that Jennifer Love Hewitt might be replacing Mariska Hargitay's Olivia Benson on 'Special Victims Unit.' Fans breathed a sigh of relief when Hargitay signed on for one more season, but now it looks like it's time to start searching for Elliott Stabler's replacement.

According to TVLine.com, Christopher Meloni will not be returning for the show's 13th season this fall.

'SVU' has been on the air at NBC for over a decade, since 1999, with Meloni and Hargitay as the leads, but while contract negotiations worked out for Hargitay, it wasn't so simple for Meloni. According to TVLine's unnamed source, "Protracted talks between the actor ... and studio NBC Universal broke down on Tuesday."

This won't affect Hargitay's deal for Season 13, but you can almost bet it will seal her fate for seasons after that.

NBC boss Robert Greenblatt has made no secret of the fact that the show can't go on forever, as is, and was vocal about them considering Hewitt to step in a few weeks back.

There's been no talk about who might take over for Meloni, but let the rumors begin!

What do you say fans: Is Benson without Stabler like Law without Order? Who would you like to see take over the role?

Follow Maggie on Twitter @TheTVShowGirl

Zulu Ericongo

hopefully NBC can find an unimpressive, racially-ambiguous pretty-boy to furrow his brow and look thoughtfully at dead bodies

May 18 2012 at 10:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JOHNNY T.ARVIN

come on nbc this is craziest and the worst thing for the series , dumbest cop out for olivia and stabler, and bad ratings put mariska hargitay and christopher meloni together agan that produce a real. and one of the best cop series in television history ever. johnny t. arvin

February 09 2012 at 12:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
d.smithharris

No Stabler, no Olivia---TOGETHER, Bad ratings.

January 10 2012 at 10:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tibbycb

please stabler and benson is the ****. please talk him into standing

January 07 2012 at 8:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richard Clarkson Map

PLEASE PLEASE GET STABLER BACK! THE NEW DETECTIVES SUCK!!! ...stabler stabler STABLER STABLER. STABLER. STABLER

January 04 2012 at 2:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Raquel Leal

bring meloni back plz! the show is not the same without him! liv is not the same she is sad! me too! talk with him abaut the problems!! make another season (season14) with him!!! and i think stabler and benson should be kissing! and that isn`t just my opinion

December 31 2011 at 4:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
apmjunior

Mariska and the new guy simply DO NOT connect..
I am still watching the reruns, but don't think I will be following it anymore if they don't bring "Stabler" back.

WAKE UP NBC, better pay the guy what he wants than loose the audience forever.
Yes the show can't go on forever, but you can more than likely keep the same cast for another 5 or 6 years instead of killing it now.
Maybe introducing new secondary detectives to see who would blend in. But taking the stars out will make us turn away. It kind of did already.

This is the same as taking agent Gibbs out of NCIS, it would simply kill the show.

December 23 2011 at 12:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
laurlongo

Rerun after rerun with Meloni..I know his every expression and I am sooooooooooo sick of him! Time to go, Chris!

December 14 2011 at 7:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sharon

First of all This was my favorite show. Im not sure why Christopher left, I believe it was over money.
I think I heard that somewhere, I can't imagine him as a "vampire". As far as I am concerned if that is the case they should have paid him more. The only reason I watch it now is because of Mariksa Hargitay, When she goes So will I. They made a wonderful team, I still watch reruns over and over.
I would like to see another Company make a new series starring them. Hopefully when she is gone he will forget this vampire nonsense and they will start a new series together .

December 14 2011 at 3:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lpowell1291

i'm really upset that Meloni is leaving. he needs to come back to the show. i'm a big fan of hargitay and if she leaves, i might not watch the show anymore. i have always been a big fan of the show. it's not going to be the same. bring meloni back and keep hargitay please!

December 14 2011 at 11:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply