November 21, 2014

EXCLUSIVE! Is Maksim Chmerkovskiy Leaving 'Dancing With the Stars?'

by Michael Maloney, posted May 24th 2011 4:30AM
Maksim Chmerkovskiy and Kirstie AlleyIt seems that Season 13 of 'Dancing With the Stars' could be a very unlucky one for fans of pro dancer Maksim Chmerkovskiy.

After the finals last night AOL TV asked the bad boy of the ballroom if he'll be returning to the show when it comes back for its next installment (likely in mid-September.)

"I don't know," he shared. "It takes a lot out of you. When you invest that much of you into something that's supposed to be just work you [can] get misinterpreted. I don't know [if I'm coming back]. We'll see. Right now, I'm drained."

Chmerkovskiy, who joined the show in Season 2, has taken a break from 'DWTS' before, sitting out Season 6 back in 2008.

His current partner Kirstie Alley thinks Chmerkovskiy could have a bright future ahead of him as an actor.

"He's got good qualities," she said. "He's handsome, he's got a good voice and he's funny. He's got other qualities ... he's broody, he's deep. All the bad boy actors are like that. He could be a really great actor if he wanted to act."

Chmerkovskiy is mulling over his options for professional opportunities. "I have a great team of people behind me," he said. "They know how to make me do the right thing. It's going to be up to them."

Chmerkovskiy plans to open a Los Angeles area dance studio soon. He's one of the co-founders of the Dance With Me Studios, which has locations in Ridgefield, NJ, Manhattan, NY and Long Island, NY. "We're finalizing the deal [for the Los Angeles location] and it's going to be an amazing gorgeous place."

He also is going to dance again with Alley, sooner rather than later. The couple will perform on June 5 at the Manhattan Center Grand Ballroom in New York City. "It was supposed to be a small thing, an in-studio competition," he said. "Then Kirstie tweeted [about it.] It's going to be at a huge venue and will be a big beautiful event." (Tickets are available to the public. Check out the website for info.)

The Ukrainian-born Chmerkovskiy would also love to take some time off to visit his family. "I haven't seen my home since August," he said. "I want to make sure I do stuff for me because it seems to me that I do a lot of things for others."

Although Chmerkovskiy said plans to listen to his career advisers, he added that, in the end, "I'll do what's right for me."

thursday985

Maks has been acting as a "nice caring guy" for years he'll fit into self absorbed Hollywood very nicely. Chelsea and Mark got beat big time.

May 25 2011 at 10:05 AM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
annaalex581

Chelsey got robbed last night she was by far the most technical dancer and her and Marks routine was hands down better than both competitors. Again it turns out to be a popularity rather than a dance contest. Mark is amazing and so is Derek they are young and edgey with there choreography which keeps the show more interesting. Chelsey & nMark should have WON!!!!!!!

May 25 2011 at 8:08 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to annaalex581's comment
jjjoan752

AGREE! ALL IT IS NOW IS A POPULARITY CONTEST, NOT A DANCE CONTEST!
CHELSEY & MARK WERE BY FAR THE BEST DANCERS.

May 25 2011 at 6:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KAY

I think the show should have a season where fans vote for their favorites(who did not win) and have a Special Star DWTS season...Maks makes the show esp with Dereck gone...the so called dancing troop needs to troop on home now..they were my reason to go get a snack and use the bathroom when they danced..

May 24 2011 at 10:31 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Hello dgstar2!

This is the first season that I watch DWTS. I was at home, sick and flipping channels. Then I saw this great instructor, Maksim, teaching Kirstie Alley how to dance and I was hooked on the show and Maks. I don't think I can watch DWTS without Maks. He's the reason why I tune in every week. I've seen other clips from previous seasons and even this season, and none of the instructors compare to Maks.

May 24 2011 at 1:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sandy

I agree with all the posts. Kirsten & Max are my favorites but the other two couples are spetacular as well.They all put their heart & sole into yesterdays performances and any of them can win. I just hope that Max comes back next time. He's a real cutie. Have a great day.

May 24 2011 at 12:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob & Betty

welove kristie &max

May 24 2011 at 11:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
johnsongwen58

Kirstie and Max definitely get my vote. I really want them to get that mirror ball because of Kirstie. I truly admire the way that she has represented the age group of women 60 years old. She took on this challenge and proved that we are still in the mix, the real babyboomer hotties. loved her as an actress anyway. Kudoos to her concerning the weightloss situation.

May 24 2011 at 10:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Letas

Maksim & Kirstie should have gotten 10's last night. Shows those three judges have favorites. Last night was really
unfair. I only watched the show because he was the best. For some reason the judges must really dislike him or jealous because they don't look that great. He has looks, talent and personality. (Sorry, not everyone can have all three) I hope Maksim is back next season, but I'm sure he has more important things to do with his talent.

May 24 2011 at 10:22 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
devinmcmusters

I would think he would some recovery time after dragging Xenu's bride around the floor.

May 24 2011 at 9:45 AM Report abuse -4 rate up rate down Reply