July 25, 2014

Mark Burnett Readies 'The Bible' for History Channel

by Chris Harnick, posted May 24th 2011 10:30AM
Mark Burnett, Roma Downey'The Kennedys' was deemed the wrong fit for History, but 'The Bible' has found a home on the growing cable channel.

According to the New York Times, reality guru Mark Burnett will produce a a five-part, 10-hour series for the History Channel that will air in 2013.

The scripted series is set to tell some of the classic Biblical tales (think Noah's Ark) through a mix of CGI and live-action storytelling.

Burnett is executive producing the miniseries with his wife, 'Touched By an Angel' star Roma Downey, and Richard Bedser. Burnett will select the stories that will be told in two-hour episodes. Each episode will contain two or three stories.

In an interview with the New York Times, Burnett, who has launched reality franchises such as 'Survivor' and 'The Voice,' called the project the "most important project I have ever undertaken."

"I think this will have the biggest audience History has ever had," Burnett told the Times.

Tell us: Do you think 'The Bible' will be a success for History?

MoralAtheist

Newton Minnow said, way back in 1961 that Television was a great wasteland....... this proves his point!

May 31 2011 at 8:30 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
mrfox

I will be sure to watch each hour. It will be very interesting to see how he handles subjects that can have
multiple interpretations. May God bless this finished project.

May 25 2011 at 10:52 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to mrfox's comment
MoralAtheist

I can think of a thousand better things to do to waste my time, than to watch 'The Bible" Masturbation comes to mind. over and over again..... That's what reading the bible is like!

May 31 2011 at 7:40 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
briranger1

I am l@@king forward to watching the Bible series......I just hope that it is a FaIr & HONEST depiction of the Bible! This GREAT country really needs to get back on track, so that the RATH from GOD that we are seeing now, (fires, floods, tornados, hurricanes, heavy snows and oil spills) will NOT need to happen in order for GOD's justice to RULE!!! Maybe the general public, just by watching an intriguing and interesting version about God's virtue lessons that He has taught Man on down through the ages, might instill the in the hearts of man, the DESIRE and NEED to correct the path of destruction that AMERICA finds herself in!!! May GOD have mercy on the United States of America!!!!!!!

May 25 2011 at 10:35 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to briranger1's comment
MoralAtheist

The WRATH of Ghod..... learn to spell, ghod-damn-it. That's why the bible is so important to you..... you're STU-PID! You want good 'fairy tales' try Hans Christian Anderson.............. My Mommy read them to me 60 years ago

May 31 2011 at 7:44 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
enxristo

Should be successful if the producers take the preferable (and safer) route and depict the stories as they are recorded in the Bible... or, if the dramatized narrative clearly indicates which is recorded history, and which is speculative. If it strays from the recorded text, then it should no longer be called "the Bible." I wish them well with this project.

May 25 2011 at 12:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
earthtick

Cool! My fav bible story would have to be the one where god drowned the whole world.

May 25 2011 at 10:57 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
capttav1

I think its great and I will watch it.

May 25 2011 at 9:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to capttav1's comment
MoralAtheist

I'd be much more stoked to watch this..... if Roma Downey was perched on the end of my 'dick' and the TV was mounted on the ceiling over my bed. She is beautiful!

May 31 2011 at 7:47 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
jfavm

Personally, I would look forward to the show & will surely watch it. I agree with the comments about staying true to the scriptural account, vs adding sensationalism in an attempt to draw a larger audience. It is likely that a large percentage of viewers will be those who believe in the authenticity of scripture, and that audience will be quickly lost if this turns out to be a hollywood facsimile. In any case, I whole-heartedly applaud the project, and am glad to see more wholesome, and hopefully educational programming. I look forward to this series!

May 25 2011 at 9:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to jfavm's comment
MoralAtheist

You want education????? Stay away from the bible...... it was written by Bronze Age Cave dwellers!!!!

May 31 2011 at 7:50 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Peter "J"

Independently, General Josephus, who was captured by the Roman Army and later wrote the history of the Jewish people mentions in his writings that a Great Prophet (Named Jesus) walked the land around Jerusalem who did astounding miracles and feats of magic, he was the talk of the town including Roman Soldiers and Citizens, foreigners and Jews alike.

May 25 2011 at 9:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jakobrussell96

It's great to see that other people share the same opinion about the History Channel.

May 25 2011 at 9:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
preacherhop1950

Hey fentex, I think you need to come to know the LORD JESUS CHRIST as personal saviour!!! It is this type of thinking that got our country in this mess in the first place. Put Jesus back into our schools and back into our government and our individual lives and things will get better. We will be better for it. Paul said in Romans 10:13 Whosoever shall call upon the name of the LORD shall be saved. We all need a saviour, and His name is JESUS!!!!

May 25 2011 at 9:08 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply