'American Idol' Season 10 Finale: Winner Predictions From The Experts

by Hilary Rothing, posted May 25th 2011 3:00PM
With just a few hours to go before the 'American Idol' season 10 winner is announced, we asked a number of 'Idol' experts and die-hard fans who they think will take the crown in this season's all-teen, all-country showdown.

While Scotty has been consistent throughout the race, never hitting the bottom three, Lauren has faltered at times under the intense pressure 'American Idol' is known for placing on its contestants. However, after last night's strong finish, Lauren may have pulled a coup. Or is it simply a case of too little, too late?

Find out who the experts think will come out on top in tonight's two-hour finale extravaganza.

Rickey Yaneza of Rickey.Org and 'Something Pitchy' has been "Team Lauren" from the beginning. "'American Idol' is due for a female winner and Lauren is 'the one,'" said Rickey.

Rickey made an interesting point in our 'Something Pitchy' post-show discussion last night, comparing last night's performance show to season 7's showdown between David Cook and David Archuleta. Though Cook was the frontrunner, Archuleta had a much stronger finale performance night. However, in the end, Cook still won. Will things play out the same way tonight?

MJ Santilli of MJ's Big Blog and 'Something Pitchy' predicts it'll be Scotty despite Lauren's strong performance last night. "Scotty McCreery will win 'American Idol.' Scotty is an unstoppable train at this point. He's probably never been in the bottom 3/2. He's a young kid with confidence and a firm idea about who he is as an artist."

Vote For The Worst's Dave Della Terza calls it for Lauren, though Scotty is the VFTW choice. "I think Lauren will win. The show has been shoving her down our throats all season and they keep trying to generate sympathy for her. Also, Lauren is much more marketable than Scotty. So the show is going to try desperately to get her to win -- meaning I want Scotty to win," he said.

However, fellow VFTWer Deb Della Terza stayed true to her cause. "My pick to win is Scotty. Because Vote for the Worst is voting for him!" said Deb.

Another Scotty proponent is The Hollywood Reporter's Joseph Kapsch, who hands it to Scotty (although like many, he still mourns the loss of the girl who may have won it all in an alternate universe, Pia Toscano). "Critics and viewers alike have had a love-hate relationship with the rebooted Season 10 of 'American Idol.' So who will win? Well, it's pretty much been a foregone conclusion among most experts that country singer Scotty McCreery would capture the crown."

But who will win versus who should win is always debatable come finale time. Kapsch makes the point about 'Idol' losers of past seasons who've gone on to greatness.

"Who should win? Though Lauren Clarkson-Underwood Alaina has pipes, my heart still belongs with the unceremoniously dumped Pia Toscano. McCreery will sell records which is a necessity for the sake of 'Idol's' music star-making cred. And since contenders don't need the 'Idol' title to have viable recording careers I think Lauren and Haley will be just fine. Chris Daughtry, Adam Lambert anyone?" added Kapsch.

Season 6 runner-up and AOL 'Idol' guest blogger Blake Lewis is pulling for Lauren but sees Scotty taking it. "I really hope America got this one right and Lauren wins this year. I think they are both great, but hey, I don't pick the winners...ever. Hahaha. Prediction is that Scotty will take it home," he wrote in today's blog.

'Idol' expert and live show regular Brittany Keener sees Scotty winning tonight, despite Lauren's dominant showing in the performance show. "Scotty because he's played the game the best, he wants it badly, he's ready for this, he appeals to all ages, and maybe...because he's a WGWG (white guy with guitar). He's also something different than past winners besides the WGWG...he's a male country artist, and I am confident he will succeed after 'Idol.'"

Finally, Michael Buckley of Buck Hollywood has the most sound reasoning: "Scotty because Lauren has ugly earrings."

What do you guys think? Let us know in the comments and be sure to check back tonight for our finale coverage. For more on last night's show, check out our full recap, 'Idol' guest blogger Blake Lewis' thoughts on the show, and the latest installment of 'Something Pitchy.' Relive this season's biggest moments with our look back at Season 10.

The 'American Idol' finale airs tonight at 8PM ET on FOX.

hugh4susan

scotty is freakyn adorable:) ; lauren was the best! and to all you scotty fans he sounds like he is going threw puberty!!!!!

May 26 2011 at 6:25 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Jessica Wilson

Worlds first Weight loss and Anti-aging product. One solution for both problems. This worked for me. Try it and get your confidence back.

Im 38…but I look like I’m 28 After I used many products for weight loss and Anti-aging I finally found this ( HTtp://Bit.ly/weizhz ) The Worlds First Anti-Aging and Weight Loss Supplement! I Lost weight in the first 10 days! .I am vexed with all products and finally used this and within trial period i was able to look like 28 years old. Get your FREE 30 day trial today! My hubby was surprised by the way it worked for me. Breakthrough Anti-Aging Formula 30 Day Risk Free Trial! Lifting Spheres and QuSomes – quickly firms, lifts out wrinkles and brightens within days, revealing the soft, smooth and sexy skin you deserve. There’s no irritation, burning, chemical side effects or other harsh results. Just fast and effective age defiance. Only pay for shipping and handling just $7
Try this and move forward and have guaranteed results

Get your confidence back with this.

May 26 2011 at 12:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jessica Wilson

Try this and move forward and have guaranteed results

Get your confidence back with this.

May 26 2011 at 12:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gopor

Congratulations Scotty. Enjoyed your performances throughout the season. I know you will go places. Just stay as sweet as your are.

May 26 2011 at 8:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kthomas4568

I'm so happy for you Scotty we love you here in NC & people all over the world I here are tooning in and voted for you . you won all our hearts & I think you are a great country singer but I loved (GONE) that was great song for you & you did Elvis proud when you did his song THat's all right MaMa So glad for you Scotty you won & you I think you deserved it I believe you will go a long ways in Country music if that is your wish, but you are so young so don't rush it take your time

May 26 2011 at 12:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
triciaann626

Congratulations Scotty, i knew you would be the next American idol!!!!!

May 25 2011 at 11:05 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
crcred9

scotty mcreery did awsome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! he is the best contry singer ever and he is really cute too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HE IS THE REAL DEAL !!!!!!!!1

May 25 2011 at 11:03 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
musicmasterno1

I'm betting on Scotty........from Star Trek, not McCreery.

May 25 2011 at 10:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kthomas4568

Haley is cute & she knew it that was what made her lose she thought she was better then the rest & a big show off go Scotty we love you

May 25 2011 at 10:54 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
hotdolphinmomma

I was hoping for james to go all the way, but that didn't happen. Then I started going for scotty and Lauren. Towords the end I was going for scotty. Well guess who won? SCOTTY DID! HORAY!HORAY! The way it looks, I think Scotty and Lauren are gonna hook up, Which I hope they do, cause they look good together.

May 25 2011 at 10:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply