Last Night's 'American Idol' Performance Left Lauren Alaina Unable to Speak

by Catherine Lawson, posted May 25th 2011 7:50AM
Lauren AlainaLauren Alaina gave it all she had in her 'American Idol' finale performance last night, but it left her unable to speak afterward.

Alaina is reportedly suffering from laryngitis, and producers were so concerned about the state of her voice yesterday that recently booted contestant Haley Reinhart was brought in as a last-minute substitute in case she couldn't perform.

Luckily, she didn't have to withdraw, but the show's on-site physician reported that she "blew out one of her vocal chords" during rehearsal, and that he "gave her a lot of medicine" to help her perform.

According to Access Hollywood, the strain placed on her voice meant that Alaina had to resort to communicating via pen and paper at the post-show press conference last night. Her rival, Scotty McCreery, gallantly lent a hand, reading her notes aloud to the assembled reporters.

When asked if, earlier in the night, she was worried about whether she'd be able to make it through the hour-long show, Scotty said on her behalf: "She says, 'I knew somehow, God would get me through it."

'American Idol's associate musical arranger and arranger, Michael Orland, told Entertainment Weekly that Alaina did not sing at the dress rehearsal because of her throat problems, and the judges were very understanding of her predicament. "I went up to the judges right away and said, 'Don't worry, she's saving it, she will have it tonight, she's going to be fine.' They were like, 'Tell her to relax.'"

However, when Orland passed the message on to Alaina, and told her to save everything for the live performance, she told him "I don't have anything to save. There's nothing coming out right now."

Thankfully, according to Orland, the doctor saved the day when he gave Alaina "something to un-swell her vocal chords. I don't know exactly [what] ... but whatever he gave her, it just numbs the vocal chords a little bit so she can get through it."

And get through it she did. Alaina's emotional performance of the Jimmy Iovine-selected original song, 'Like My Mother Does,' brought many in the audience close to tears, including Scotty. "For me," he said, "I was about to cry when she was singing because both of our moms have been here through the whole thing 'cause we're minors and we had to have a parent [here]. So that song, it was touching to me and it was touching to her, I'm sure. She was crying, I was about to, I was watering up."

The 'American Idol' Season 10 finale airs tonight, 8PM ET on FOX.

Margie Young

So glad Scotty won, but it was so close. Lauren is so good and such a sweet girl. Both have great futures ahead of them. Love them both.

May 26 2011 at 8:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hello

Tyler says that he ``loved`` lauren from the beginning. I bet he did. That is why Pia was gone b4 lauren. I guess she didn`t ``love`` him back the way lauren has.

May 25 2011 at 8:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

What a rip off for Scotty. This was a complete set up. First the doctor came out and specified she tore her vocal cord, but she will do just fine? Then Tyler and Jackson said to millions that she is the American Idol, and then the big tear jerker at the end with a "Mom" song? .......... Give me a break. All the judges should of kept their mouth shut just like Jennefer......................... Scam!

May 25 2011 at 8:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jfergie64

Scotty has no talent....I'm sorry you Scotty lovers! He doesn't deserve to be in the top 24.
Pia was my girl, then Stefano a close second.
I voted for Lauren last evening.....I thouht she was a natural from the very begining.
Go Lauren !!!!!!!!!!!!

May 25 2011 at 7:51 PM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
shadolade

It made me sick last night to see how they pampered Lauren. Bring out the Dr. and then pick the last song for her to enhance her chances. Then to go out in the audience and hug her Mom--of course let's swing the votes to Lauren. Then Randy jumping up and declaring her the winner and Tyler all o9ver her like a fly!!
I said a year ago I wasn't going to watch it anymore then I thought I would give JoLo and Tyler a chance and it is the same deal. JOLO and Steve pushed Lauren all the way. Talent is talent but the voting and picks are done wrong. \I voted for Scotty and have since the beginning and let's be fair. Haley should be up there with Scotty, not Lauren, she is good but not that good. Haley can do it all and far as that goes Pia should be there....
May the best Idol win and I hope that is SCOTTY!!!!!! Judges should stop making judgements as they can put a damper on these folks.

May 25 2011 at 7:44 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Tammy

Both are equal in talent. Scotty is much more mature and sincere and Lauren comes across as an air-head and drama queen. Seems a bit spoiled where Scotty seems much more down to earth and real. I think Lauren is going to win because Steven Tyler sabataged Scotty's chances by ignoring the talent both bring to the table and going on his " I said it from the beginning" speech. Which is prejudicial to all the other contestants who also had talent.
Scotty will go far in the country scene. Like to see him do some Alan Jackson.

May 25 2011 at 7:35 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
jcarlton05

Like the finalists or not, American Idol is a business. By allowing "America" to vote, they have the largest, risk-free test marketing forum there is. It is not surprising these two are in the top. As some have pointed out, the country music fan base is extememly loyal. Just ask Darius Rucker, Uncle Kracker or Sheryl Crowe. In addition to this fact, who were voting these 2 in? Teenagers and tweens. They are known to be recession proof spenders, and they do buy music and concert tickets. My daughter and I were just pondering these Lauren and Scotty, who we do like, but not substantially more or less than the other finalists. Obviously, they have been in high school, not out on the road paying any dues or anything. It is kind of funny. They were young kids when Idol started. It is like they just woke up one day and said, "I think I'll go try out for Idol". I doubt either one expected to be here at this point, and they had probably both underestimated their talent and mass appeal. You've gotta love living in America! Those with talent in American Idol always do well as long as they make it in the top 10 or so, and obviously some outshine the winners. This season has not turned out as some had expected, but it has been interesting and entertaining nontheless.

May 25 2011 at 7:34 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
AP

I hope everyone will remember that, just like you...everyone's got their own opinion. And what one person likes, another may not necessarily care for. It's all personal preferences in the end. Every song and every performer is someone's favorite. Look at Daughtry. Chris finished fourth that season, yet his two albums have sold very respectably. Carrie UNderwood and Kelly Clarkson have both done just fine. Are they everyone's favorites? Of course not...but before you go ridiculing someone's singing, let's ask one question: how's YOUR singing voice?
From everything I've read, just about all the contestants have their fans and will do as well as can be expected. I simply don't take part in trashing anyone...I will admit, some do sound to me like they're trying too hard but again, that's my personal observation. I've heard those that I've enjoyed too. So much drama from some of you on the message boards. Vote if you disagree with the judges or if there's someone who particularly impresses you. But simply saying someone "sucks"...that's just too easy and requires no forethought or ability to judge something on your own. If someone impresses me, I'll buy their music. If not, I'm not going to preach to the masses that I hate this artist or that one...you can all form opinions on your own. My opinion is my own, and only my own.

May 25 2011 at 7:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
The Darb

Unbelievable! A 16 and 17 year old in the finals, and they both belong there. No matter who wins, they both are going to have a wonderful career ahead of them. After the first song I figured Scotty would win. I have been pulling for him all year. But after that most emotional last song, the edge goes to Lauren. Good luck to both of you.

May 25 2011 at 7:28 PM Report abuse +5 rate up rate down Reply
walkupt

I enjoy American Idol & I do not always agree with the judges and the votes. Remember, these young signers are not professionals, but have the potential talent to become professional.

May 25 2011 at 7:16 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply