November 27, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Lauren Alaina Sings For Her Mother, Wins Over the Judges, on 'American Idol' (VIDEO)

by Jason Hughes, posted May 25th 2011 12:02AM
Lauren Alaina, 'American Idol'It was a night of wall-to-wall music on a special Tuesday installment of 'American Idol' (Tue., 8PM ET on FOX). With but a single hour to pack in three rounds of competition between Scotty McCreery and Lauren Alaina, there was hardly time to even get judges' comments in, much less create emotional moments.

For the third round, though, Alaina managed to do just that with a perfectly suited song: 'Like My Mother Does.' In-house mentor Jimmy Iovine chose the song, which we're told will become her single if she wins the season. We have a feeling it might just get released even if she comes in second, though.

Ironically, 'Like My Mother Does' was first released first on Season 7 finalist Kristy Lee Cook's album.

The 'American Idol' Season 10 finale airs Wednesday, 8PM ET on FOX.

As the youngest contestant in the show who's had her mother by her side since day one, though, Alaina was able to connect with the lyrics and truly make it her own.

She even made her way out to the audience to embrace her mother during the performance, and by the time the judges' comments were through, Jennifer Lopez had made a bold prediction that left both Lauren and her mother in tears.

"With that song you may have just won," Lopez said. But was it enough to surpass McCreery's rabid fan-base? The judges gave a slight edge to Alaina on the night, but it's definitely anyone's game. Can she break the streak of male winners on 'American Idol'?

tennisknit

I believe every mother was touched by that beautuiful song and the way Lauren sang it. I hope she has the opportunity to record it. Scotty is truly a winner and anything he sings is awesome.

May 25 2011 at 11:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tikla07

If Lauren wins it cause her family owes monies to the MOB! Would LOVE to see Scotty win it all just to see her lil ass start to CRY!

May 25 2011 at 5:52 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Tikla07's comment
GaDawg

HaHaHaHaHa..... She really busted your perverted bubble...."didn't she?.... Lauren Alaina has CLASS, but that's something you would not know anything about!!!

May 29 2011 at 10:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tikla07

Lauren aint NOTHIN but another Taylor Hicks but with ****! Where is he today?

May 25 2011 at 5:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Donna

Lauren and Scotty are both great. They are both going to have successfull careers, no matter who wins IDOL. It could go either way- Too bad trying to vote online was so difficult for some people. I also couldn't get in online to vote.

May 25 2011 at 3:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DAVE

WOW !!!!
THIS SONG MADE ME CRY

VERY MOVING

May 25 2011 at 3:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
icastfuturestars

Lauren's Mother is WAYYY hotter than Lauren LOL..That is why they always show her in the audience...Oh it's a coincidence...i didnt see SANJAYA's MOM every week on Am Idol LOL

May 25 2011 at 3:06 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
LYNRENWAG66

I too, couldn't vote last evening, of all evenings!!! I am glad, it wasn't just me, ha! Good Luck to Scotty and Lauren. They are both American Idols! Great talent this year too!

May 25 2011 at 3:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tony

What a load of S*** Haley and James were the best ...and how about how they played up lauren so she can beat scotty....No more Idol for me ever!!!!!

May 25 2011 at 2:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mrmc801

Lauren was amazing last night as she was through the whole season. She deserves to win. Scotty did well but I do believe that James should have been in the final two with Lauren. Hailey was a screamer and her songs were always very pitchy, she did not seserve to be in the finale. I voted for Lauren last week 137 times and between the computer and the cell I voted alot more then that last night for her. Had no problems with the web site. Way to go Lauren, YOU GO GIRL !!!!!

May 25 2011 at 2:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
laurainaz33

After voting every single week, I was not able to vote last night. I could not get into the voting online tool at all. I even tried my husband's computer thinking it might be a glitch in my system - no luck. Very disappointed.

No matter who wins tonight and whether folks even like the final two, it was a really great season this year and a lot of the finalists will receive contracts, I am sure of it!

Good luck to both of them tonight - they gave it their all!

May 25 2011 at 2:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply