'Something Pitchy:' Most Boring 'American Idol' Finale Ever?

by Hilary Rothing, posted May 25th 2011 1:22AM

Nothing against Scotty McCreery and Lauren Alaina but we can't help it if 2/3rds of the 'Something Pitchy' crew thought tonight's finale performances were dullsville. Though MJ and myself thought one of the teens dominated tonight's show, we're all still standing by our predictions for the season 10 winner.

Spicing up tonight's lackluster hour was the pre-show drama surrounding Lauren Alaina's strained vocal chords. Was there a real possibility of Haley Reinhart swooping in to face Scotty or was it all just another clever PR rouse from 'Idol' mastermind, Nigel Lythgoe?

Find out what myself, MJ Santilli (MJ's Big Blog) and Rickey Yaneza (Rickey.org) have to say about Lauren's Laryngitis, Scotty going "Big(?)" and which teen will take season 10 in this post-Top 2 performances edition of AOL's 'American Idol' talk show, 'Something Pitchy!'

The 'American Idol' season 10 finale airs tonight at 8PM ET on FOX.

briny7777

you 3 have the nerve to sit there and judge peoples pitch problems and voice quality lets see you 3 burnouts do better....they have the guts to get on tv in front of thousands and millions...while you sit there and judge via webcam? blahhh you guys suck!

May 26 2011 at 12:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
briny7777

wow you 3 look like you been dragged out and about...

May 26 2011 at 12:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kaptainbeyond

Scotty and Lauren have nice voices but they have no range yet -- which is why Lauren blew out her vocal cords. The two that would have made last night fun and exciting were James and Haley. But the judges have been slanting this show all year like like we when they threw Lauren a soft ball with Dance and Haley a very difficult song with You Ought to Know. Haley actually took on three very tough songs -- she may not have knocked them out of the park -- but she showed real talent.

May 25 2011 at 6:09 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to kaptainbeyond's comment
rad1959

Amen

May 28 2011 at 4:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kfarring6

James and Pia definitely, two performers who could fill up the stage. Interesting that Taio Cruz stole James's drumline idea.

May 25 2011 at 3:42 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to kfarring6's comment
rad1959

Haley was a better performer and stronger vocals than Pia I'llee Pia had a dead on voice just lacked stage presence. Durbin and Hailey were the real show for the finale.

May 28 2011 at 4:56 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Peves

This was definitely my favorite season since the Kat McPhee one, but I was not excited for the finale at all. Well, the last song Lauren sang was great, but I really wish Haley or someone else exciting made it in.

May 25 2011 at 12:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sue

I have to disagree that this was a boring finale. I liked it... but then I like country music as well as other genres. I thought this year was refreshing in comparison to the typical Idol finales of late. James was my favorite and I wanted to see him in the finale but other than that, this was a solid and enjoyable finale for me.

May 25 2011 at 11:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
judy

i am swo glad it i not up t me, i could not make a coice.i think they should both get a professional chace.i would buy them. good luck to both of you

May 25 2011 at 9:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Major Cordite

As an "outside" observer of American Idol I never get emotionally attached to any particular contestant. I do however, enjoy watching America's most popular TV show and following the trends of American popular culture. All of the contestants are talented in their own way and style and should be commended. If you look at each contestant and judge them on talent, originality, appearance, and artistic creativity (which most voters don't) it really is surprising who makes it to the finals. This season there is a definite bias on the judges part. Randy and J-Lo are always in lock step with each other and their criticism appears to be slanted at times. It makes you wonder if there is a behind-the-scenes-agenda that the producers are pushing. Every blog and website, except American Idol, on the planet has the software to only allow 1 vote per person when asking for your vote. When Ryan announces 93 million votes!, this comes across as cheesy to anybody with an ounce of common sense. Although I found Simon irritating in previous years his spot-on criticisms are what's missing in this years lineup. Steven Tyler has a different approach and he really does do a good job coaching the kids with his positive comments. Jimmy Iovine is more like a behind the scenes Simon and he appears to have the proper insight. Always interesting to see how America votes and how the judges of A.I. come to their conclusions.

May 25 2011 at 9:20 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Cheryl

Neither of the finalists had the best voice or most original voice. It it's a voice competition, the final should have gone to James & Pia. Now that would have been a great final. Imagine how spectacular that would have been.This was the most boring final EVER! The least they could have done was manipulate Hailey into the final so we could have had some real entertainment. For me, once James left, the show lost its biggest reason to tune in. Not much original in Scotty or that other girl. Who cares anymore?

May 25 2011 at 8:44 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Cheryl's comment
finelto

Right on Cheryl!! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz awful snoozefest... I wanted James, and although Pia needed to perfect her performance skills, I would certainly take her over these awfully over rated singers..bad....Idol needs to hang it up already.. Also...Lauren's mother!!??? What a bad manipulation....especially after the tragic episodes down south..Her mother really was so exploitive ot these events...so obvious...ugh....

May 25 2011 at 7:26 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
thevisitor967

I agree. This was the worst finale ever. Very boring and predictable. And I found Lauren singing to her mother very manipulative. Of course the producers gave her the better song than Scotty. Just like Final Three when the judges gave Haley the worst song of the bunch. But this time I don't think the manipulation will work. I still think Scotty will win. Is there a chance that Something Pitchy will talk about The Voice?

May 25 2011 at 4:34 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply