April 24, 2014

VH1 Bringing Back 'Pop Up Video'

by Jean Bentley, posted May 25th 2011 1:25PM
Pop Up VideoTrivia buffs, get ready for some excellent news: VH1 announced today that it is resurrecting 'Pop Up Video.'

We'll now have 60 more half-hour episodes from which to glean funny tidbits of information about music videos. This time, though, the show will also skewer hip hop and rap, which the original version steered clear from so as not to step on sister network MTV's toes. The new series will debut in the fall, nearly a decade after the original version went off the air.

The show's co-creator Woody Thompson said "I have sat on the sidelines for the last decade and watched as everyone and the brother has ripped off 'Pop Up' in some way or another with the internet coming out of nowhere and Twitter being hauntingly familiar and all of these devices that are using snarky, pithy text."

Frankly, he's right. In the age of social networking, where an increasing amount of information is packaged in 140 characters or less, we're surprised this didn't happen sooner. But beggars can't be choosers -- let's watch this vintage pop up video and rejoice in the show's return together.

Are you excited for 'Pop Up Video''s return?

Daniel W. Hill

I'd totally love to see the return of pop up video. I'd also love to design a modern pop up video for my upcoming single. Any suggestions for contacting the producers of the show?

August 27 2011 at 9:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
yellowberry3535

but....would they have to acually play videos on vh-1 to do that?

July 21 2011 at 9:02 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
John, the Great!

By this article and video, we have just been Rick rolled...

July 08 2011 at 1:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tra4art

Yes I am I am the artist who did all the artwork and icons for the bubbles and it's really fun to see them again!

May 29 2011 at 4:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Keith

Does this mean Pop Up Brady Bunch is returning to TV Land lol? I loved that! Get with Hub and do Pop Up Happy Days and Pop Up Wonder Years! That'd be great! BTW, love Pop Up Video!

May 26 2011 at 3:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ohmeibalzich

I liked the show, in its original run. Now we get to see POP UP VIDEO doing c(rap) videos. I find it funny that Vh1 didn't want to do c(rap) videos, not to step on MTV'S toes. MTV, hasn't been a true video channel since the early 90's. VH1, probably 2002.

May 25 2011 at 7:47 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
frankerin

REturning\? Is there no creativiy left in media land, regurgitating the past like a dog to his vomit.

May 25 2011 at 7:39 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
vwilli007

This is 2011 and i hate to say this but there is cell of highly intelligent young people ages 18-25 who could make a new show, never go back, move forward. Anyways make why not make a show like a mini senate and congress and see what those kidds can do and say and embarass the mess out of those old set in mind attitude reps who do nothing and thats why we are not progressings as fast as other countries. A train from that travels from NY to CA in 3hours (reality) PLEASEPLEASEPLEASE- NO RERUN flava or ms ny.

May 25 2011 at 7:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
crazieegurll801

LOL really??! i've been watching this show for months and now they mention it? its been on air for a long time. I love this show, its really cool !! lol my friends think im weird because its soo old :P

May 25 2011 at 7:29 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Billy

I was 46 at the time of pop up video, and I liked it. Not many younger kids liked it because you had to read and it was educational.

May 25 2011 at 7:17 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply