Lauren Alaina on Growing Up on 'Idol, Meeting Carrie Underwood and Being a Role Model

by Hilary Rothing, posted May 26th 2011 5:30PM
'American Idol' season 10 runner-up, Lauren Alaina hopped on the phone this afternoon to talk to the press about her experience as one of the youngest finalists in 'Idol' history. The sixteen-year-old put in three solid performances on Tuesday night, despite facing Laryngitis. Though it didn't win her the competition, Lauren's tenacity is the mark of a true professional.

"The show must go on, always," said the Georgia native. "The doctor came in and he took really good care of me and he got my voice as good as he could so I just had to go out there and do the best that I could," said Lauren.
While there was a lot of talk among both fans and 'Idol's trio of judges about the teen's wavering confidence, at last night's finale, it was clear Lauren's come out of her 'American Idol' experience a stronger person.

"I had a lot of confidence before the show but once seeing myself on TV and being like my worst critic, it threw me back a couple notches. But I feel like that was a good thing. I needed to realize that there's always something you can work on about yourself and the things I didn't like about myself I worked on the whole time I was on the show and really tried to improve myself. I feel like since there were so many people watching and I could see the outcomes and stuff, it was really helpful for me to grow as a person and an artist."

One criticism both Lauren and Scotty faced had to do with their ages. Asked if she wished she'd waited until she was a bit older to try out for 'American Idol,' Lauren has no regrets.

"No, I feel like people misjudge young people because they think that they're not ready. But I feel like if something's your dream and you know what you want, you should go for it."

One of Lauren's dreams was meeting and performing with her personal idol, season 4 winner, Carrie Underwood. Now that she's achieved 'Idol' stardom herself, Lauren talked about being a role model.

"I'm a huge country music fan and there are so any girls that I look up to, especially Carrie Underwood, everyone knows that, I've shouted that one out loud for a while now. And I met her and talking with her, I could tell that she genuinely cared that I was there. She actually invited me back after the party last night for all the contestants after the show. She invited me back to her area and let me sit with her and talk with her and it was amazing to see that someone I had looked up to for so long was actually the person I thought they were. And I want little girls and girls my age to feel that way when they meet me, to know that I'm actually the way I'm portrayed on TV. I'm not fake and I don't want to mislead people as to who I am. I cut up, I make jokes a lot but I'm serious too. I cry a lot. It's just who I am. I want to stay true to who O am."

Speaking of staying true to herself, why did Lauren choose not to use her last name, "Suddeth," on 'Idol?'

"I chose not to use "Suddeth" because people never pronounce it right and I knew Ryan Seacrest would have a terrible time trying to say my last name so I just chose "Alaina" because it's easier and it rolls off the tongue easier. But I will always be Lauren Suddeth."

For more on last night's finale, check out our full recap and the latest edition of AOL TV's 'American Idol' talk show, 'Something Pitchy.'

'American Idol' returns for its 11th season this January on FOX.

Carole Ann

Why do people keep typing "should of" instead of the correct "should have"? Instead of coming on here and being haters, why not clean up your spelling and grammar?

May 29 2011 at 11:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Capt. Leigh

Lauren appears as a real nice young lady. Her parents should be very proud. Many of us hope she becomes a big success, like her idol, Carrie Underwood. It will be great to follow her career.
All the BEST KIDDO.

May 29 2011 at 4:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KATHY'S FREE

"How Soon They Do Forget!" Diana DiGarmo, age 16, runner up alongside winner, Fantasia Barrino, both went onto Broadway, NYC, have been on talk shows, and sold cd's. Wishing all the contestants much future success and all their dreams come true! It's very refreshing to finally have two wholesome, young talented contestants win! No doubt, James, Casey, Paul, Pia and the rest will have contracts and doors open for them! Scotty and Lauren will sell well in the country genre and perhaps, like Carrie Underwood and Josh Gracin in pop/country sounds!

May 29 2011 at 3:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

lucille you are so wrong in so many way's about scotty and his voice he just plain sucks and will not make it as a country singer,lauren is so much better and has a great voice and she will be a bigger star than scotty could ever think of being.

May 29 2011 at 3:09 PM Report abuse -4 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Mike's comment
dayhold

they both suck

May 29 2011 at 3:30 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
stitchgene

lauren needs to lose about 30lbs

May 29 2011 at 2:48 PM Report abuse -5 rate up rate down Reply
Lucille

I am so happy that Scotty won!! His voice is so great...and he will be one of the finest Country singers there is!! Whenhe first sang I Cross My Heart...I honestly couldn't believe that he was as good as George Strait..and I love George Strait!!!I'm sure all the copuntry singers admires Scotty..and he will go far.

Congratulations Scotty....it's not just the beeny boppers that love you...the Senior citizens do too!!!!Go Scotty!!!! Can't wait until you get your first record out!!

May 29 2011 at 2:14 PM Report abuse +6 rate up rate down Reply
Hi Anna John

doodlebug_bug2000 I wanted Lauren to win from the start, I thought she was the best ! but she did make it to the final two . so i just want to wish both of them the best in there career' s

May 29 2011 at 2:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hastings Family

Congratulations to Scotty on the win. Ameridan Idol is not just a "voice" contest as many seem to think. Personality and showmanship as well as lots of other traits, are necessary to be an IDOL. Haley lost my vote during her hometowan visit, with SOOO many 'BLIPS" for her dirty language. Thats not setting a good example . Lauren had a beautiful voice, but was Not an entertainer. She may do fine at recording, but just standing in one spot on a stage and singing, is not entertaining. Scotty was clearly the winner when he put Tim McGraw to shame during their duet. GO SCOTTY!

in their duet. GO SCOTTY

May 29 2011 at 1:54 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
snjbtm1

I voted for Lauren because Scotty sings one way.... countrty Western, where as lauren was more versatile. No matter what Sctooy sang it always sounded the same, Cowboyish.

May 29 2011 at 1:34 PM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
witchywoman1159

James Durbin got screwed royaly and I'm sure he didn't enjoy it, American Idol totaly sucks why is it they don't want rockers like James, Adam and Chris to WIN what the HELL is up there butt James should of been the winner not to weays about it, I am soooooooooo done with AI bye bye AI James should of WON!!!!!!

May 29 2011 at 12:58 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to witchywoman1159's comment
Sundancer

I think he was awesome, too, but the fact remains, it was America that voted. The judges and the show didn't. I'm guessing he'll have a pretty great career though after seeing what transpired for Chris Daughtry. And sometimes winning isn't the best thing because you initially have to do was they want you to do. AFTER your contract is up with them, you can go on to do what YOU want to do. For some, I don't think that is in their best interest. Crystal Bowersox is way better off for coming in second place. She could do her own music on ehr first album, and it is fantastic. We'll never get by the fact that most of the AI audience is under 18. I'm 58 and it drives me nuts, too, but I love music as a whole too much to not continue to watch.

May 29 2011 at 1:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carole Ann

Should HAVE, not should OF.

May 29 2011 at 11:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply