July 31, 2014

Reality TV Repeat Offenders: Stars the Networks Love, Even If We Don't

by Maggie Furlong, posted May 26th 2011 3:00PM
The World According to ParisThere's some very promising summer TV coming our way, and then there's some lazy, regurgitated shlock that makes me groan.

Why? Because some of the networks' newest reality shows don't just feature concepts we've seen before, but the stars are recycled as well. And we really didn't even like some of them the first (or second, or third) go-round!

Now this isn't an excuse to pick on people for the sake of being mean -- some of you may be excited to see Paris Hilton on your TV again. (Go ahead and raise your hands if that's the case. Go on. Oh, no one? Nice work, smart people, you passed the test!)

This is just a fair and honest question: Why do the same people keep getting reality shows? And are they destined (or doomed) to be stuck in reality hell forever? Take a look at this list, and tell me if I missed anyone who you're overloaded on.

Paris HiltonParis Hilton
Just what we need: another reality show about a person who's rich and famous just for being rich and famous. No, we're not talking about the Kardashians (although we will in a second). New Oxygen show 'The World According to Paris' (premieres Wed., June 1, 10PM ET) reunites us with the 'Simple Life' and 'New BFF' star Paris Hilton. How's it different? This is the first time she's actually used her natural speaking voice, so the bright side is it'll be sans baby talk.

Curtis StoneCurtis Stone
Curtis was the hardest choice to include here since I find this Aussie chef genuinely endearing, but his packed schedule had him at the front of my line of overexposed personalities. Once known as the 'Take-Home Chef,' Stone (who, full disclosure, also has a cooking show for AOL) did double-duty this spring, hosting 'Top Chef Masters' and mentoring/investing in wannabe restaurateurs on 'America's Next Great Restaurant' (which aired its finale earlier this month and didn't get renewed for another season). Our advice: Always keep them wanting more, dude.

Khloe KardashianKhloe Kardashian
Honestly, all the Kardashians could feasibly make the cut here, but even with Kim on every bus ad, billboard and weight-loss commercial, sister Khloe wins my award for most overexposed Kardashian. Her latest show, 'Khloe & Lamar,' is just the nail in the coffin of an already obnoxious string of TV shows including the original 'Keeping Up,' 'Khloe & Kourtney Take Miami' and popping up regularly on 'Kim & Kourtney Take New York,' even though her name didn't make the title.

Dr. Drew PinskyDr. Drew Pinsky
The upcoming fifth season of 'Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew' will feature Michael Lohan, former Guns N' Roses drummer Steven Adler (back for round 2) and Long Island Lolita Amy Fisher, among others, but the celebrity most in need of a career rehab is Dr. Drew himself. The good doctor gets bonus points for his new HLN talk show, and for not accepting 'Real Housewives of DC' party crasher Michaele Salahi onto the show, but his increased presence in every medium and repeated chiming in with advice for every celebrity who has a bad hair day has just got to stop. Staying relevant is one thing; making yourself seem superfluous is quite another.

Rocco DiSpiritoRocco DiSpirito
Anyone remember 'The Restaurant'? That horribly staged excuse for an NBC reality show about chef Rocco's Italian cooking empire? Well, after doing 'Dancing With the Stars,' shilling cookbooks and plastering his face all over olive oil commercials for the past few years, Rocco is back in the NBC family with a new series, 'Rocco's Dinner Party' (premieres Wed., June 15, 11PM ET on Bravo), and this time he's not even cooking! Making wannabe celebrity chefs cook to impress a chef that should never have gotten the celebrity tag is just lame. Yep, I said it. Lame. If it's a hit, I'll eat my words ... but I'll never eat his cooking.

Heidi MontagHeidi Montag
You know her from 'The Hills' and 'I'm a Celebrity ... Get Me Out of Here!,' but let's be honest -- you really know her because of how much you loathe her. The plastic surgery, the creepy husband-slash-manager ... it's all just a desperate ploy for fame. Which is why she's perfect for 'Famous Food,' premiering this fall on VH1, alongside former 'Bachelor' Jake Pavelka, former New Jersey 'Housewives' star Danielle Staub and Eliot Spitzer's one-time call girl Ashley Dupre. What a group ...

We just can't fit them all. Who are you annoyed with? Share in the comments.

Follow Maggie on Twitter @TheTVShowGirl

xfghdhdfgd

10:18 PM on May 30, 2011

i always waited for one.........╰—┘ 。 ┅★`_、GIRLS AND BOYS ╰—┘ 。 ┅★`_、2011

The new year. A new day www.evelseller.com ╰—┘ 。 ┅★`_

Are you still wearing that piece of old clothes?Are you not buy new clothes for worrying

about?

╰—┘ 。 ┅★`_、 http://www.evelseller.com
╰—┘ 。 ┅★`_、

June 01 2011 at 5:07 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
xfghdhdfgd

10:18 PM on May 30, 2011

i always waited for one.........╰—┘ 。 ┅★`_、GIRLS AND BOYS ╰—┘ 。 ┅★`_、2011

The new year. A new day www.evelseller.com ╰—┘ 。 ┅★`_

about?

╰—┘ 。 ┅★`_、 http://www.evelseller.com
╰—┘ 。 ┅★`_、

June 01 2011 at 5:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shterner

I think we all need to get rid of our TV. I have one with no cable. I watch channel 13 PBS Public Broadcasting. It is the only channel to watch. I am just baffeled when I go away and I see cable in my hotel to actually think people pay for this crap. Makes me sad. =I thought cabel had no commercials? WOW so you pay and you get commercials?

People pick up a freaking book. Even if it is a kindle.

Tired of the celebbrity in this country they are actors who now own and run everything from clothing lines to cookwear well just about everything.

EX) LIonel Richies daughter having a footwear line???

How greedy are people stick with your profession?

GREED using their celebrity to sell crap. We sell more crap in the US then anywhere else in the world.

May 30 2011 at 10:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lregan066

I used to watch the Kardashian shows, but ever since the Odom/Bynum performance, I am uncomfortable with the shows. I will not watch the series until Odom is gone.

May 30 2011 at 10:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Georgia

I, for one, like Curtis Stone. I don't think he is overexposed. For me, he was the BEST thing about America's Next Great Restaurant. Bobby Flay is the one who needs to get into the backgound a bit more. As for Rocco DiSpirito, I enjoyed The Restaurant.....and...the ONLY meatballs I make are MAMA'S MEATBALLS...which is a recipe from that show.

May 30 2011 at 10:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cruzfrogs

Bring back REAL TV, with creative writing. Get RID of this reality crap. All of it!

May 30 2011 at 7:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Barbara

I'd be extremely happy if I never hear or see anyone from the "Jersey Shore" again...and the so called "real" housewives (Bethenny, Nene, etc.), as well as anyone from the "Bachelor" or "Bachelorette". They have long outlived their fifteen minutes of fame! IMHO

P.S. I agree with most of your choices (especially the Kardashians & Paris), except Curtis. I never get enough of that face!

May 30 2011 at 7:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jimmy

dead martin is dead I did not know that

May 30 2011 at 6:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
YevonnaG

For once I am glad I don't get these networks. I wish the reality shows would just get lost in the wind. Yhe shows are filled with no talent rich people that have nothing to say and no talent what so ever. I guess their so called talent is talking if you can call that a talent. I think the shows are boring I wish there had never been any such show as reality TV. It is not realty it is sure not my reality just because your rich you can get on TV their the cheapist so called celebs the networks can afford. Let's get these shows off the air for good how can they keep coming up with these shows it is ridiculous..................

May 30 2011 at 5:57 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
johnj1230

PARIS HAS TO GO FOR SURE! FOR ME, SHE CAN TAKE THE REST OF THE REALITY FOLKS WITH HER......I AM DONE WITH STAGED TELEVISION

May 30 2011 at 5:49 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply