October 24, 2014

Soap News: Ingo Out of 'GH,' Hearst to Recur at 'B&B' ... and More

by Allison Waldman, posted May 26th 2011 4:00PM
ingo_rademacher_jax_general_hospital_abcActor Ingo Rademacher, a 15-year vet on 'General Hospital,' has been let go. Recently, Rademacher, who plays Australian business tycoon and playboy Jasper Jax, had warned fans via Twitter that his time on screen had been reduced, but the soap's decision to drop him entirely is a stunner.

That means that in the past few months, two major hunks -- Rademacher and Tyler Christopher (Nikolas) -- have been released. It's an ominous sign for a soap that has been rumored to be close to cancellation.

Today, Rademacher issued a statement about his change in status. "It is with mixed emotions and regret that I write this note to you, my fans and colleagues. ... I'm fired." He added that he was grateful to ... 'everyone at 'GH,' the producers, directors, crew, my fellow actors and ABC/Disney.'

In an interview with Soaps In Depth, Rademacher reported that new 'GH' scribe Garin Wolf wants to bring the actor back for a better exit than he'd been given by former head writer Bob Guza. Rademacher agreed to return, adding that he believes there's still hope for bringing Jax back in the future because the character remains viable. Nothing's impossible.

Rademacher's right about Jax being resurrectible, but if I were his agent, I'd be on the phone to 'The Young and the Restless.' With that soap's introduction of an Australian mob story, Rademacher would fit right in ... perhaps as the law man who's been after the Atkinson crime family for years.

Has 'Y&R' Really Axed Maura West?
Two-time Emmy winner Maura West is reportedly on the brink of being axed from 'The Young and the Restless.' CBS Soaps In Depth claims that West, who was dynamic as Carly on 'As the World Turns,' is going to be terminated by 'Y&R' because of miscasting.

As Diane Jenkins, Victor's ex-wife and the mother of Jack's son, 'Y&R' anticipated West amping up the character's vitriol and villainy. Diane has been a troublemaker, and head writer Maria Arena Bell has had Diane bounce around from bed to bed to bed. However, the publication claims that insiders have determined that West is just not right in that role.

'Y&R' has yet to comment -- and they won't until this is officially true. Meanwhile, in upcoming weeks, Diane will be the center of a tussle between Adam and Nick.

New Head Writing Team for 'Days of Our Lives'
It's only been a couple of weeks since 'GH' fired Robert Guza Jr. and hired Garin Wolf to head up the writing department, and now another soap has followed suit. Dena Higley is out as 'Days of Our Lives'' head writer. The team of Marlene McPherson and Darrell Ray Thomas will begin immediately, reports Entertainment Weekly.

Executive Producer Ken Corday issued the statement about the new writers: "McPherson and Thomas will bring 'Days of Our Lives' back to its core values by telling exciting stories with a fresh and contemporary approach including beloved characters."

rick_hearst_the_bold_and_the_beautiful_cbsWhat's Up with Whip?
Another multiple-time Emmy winner (see Maura West above) is finding tough sledding at a CBS soap. Rick Hearst has been taken off contract at 'The Bold and the Beautiful.' He'll still be recurring at Whip Jones, but his role has been diminished.

Hearst returned to 'B&B' in 2009 with the expectation that he'd be given a substantial story line. Hearst was coming off his stint on 'GH' as Ric Lansing, Sonny's half-brother, a role that earned him two Emmys. He'd won a third Emmy as Alan-Michael on 'Guiding Light.'

Currently, Hearst's character is having an emotional crisis with is marriage falling apart. It's possible that this move to recurring will coincide with Whip being put on the backburner.

Hopefully, it's just a maneuver to give the writers time to give Whip a better story line ... like a plot to kill Ridge or a hot new love affair with Brooke.

Robin Strasser's Health Concerns
'One Life to Live' star Robin Strasser will be leaving the show because of a medical crisis. The actress had hoped to be with the soap until it wraps in January 2012, but health issues have made that unlikely.

In a tweet, Strasser addressed fans with the announcement: "I'll have to leave 'OLTL' sooner than the cancellation date, for compelling health reasons. Unable to meet high standards I owe our great show. BUMMER! Darn right. WISDOM indicates a GRACE-full exit, before I fall on my bum. Always leave 'em laughin'. With Tuc [Watkins (David Vickers) and luck, hope I will!"

To Robin, our best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Watch Ingo Rademacher discuss his time on 'General Hospital' below.

macorn8679

Once again, I can't believe that Ingo Rademacher has been fired from GH. Fortunately, as of today he's still alive and may rise from the missing. My fingers are always crossed that GH writers will come to their senses and bring back Jax as a major player - with Carly by his side (would be nice if for once she could have a happy marriage and not act so ridiculous when it comes to defending her "relationships" with Jason and Sonny)

September 06 2011 at 8:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
brilynnel

What is happening to ABC.? They are canceling all my favorite shows. What nut took over this channel?

May 27 2011 at 9:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pjwkort

cont------and i definitely am not going to watch any more ABC

May 27 2011 at 5:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pjwkort

what is wrong with the network you know there are many of left who enjoy the soaps and have followed them for years and how many talk shows can one take i may give uop watching day time tv altogether

May 27 2011 at 5:36 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
booterfly

If General Hospital is taken off the air and replaced by Katic Couric or anyone else, I, and many people I know, will boycott ABC. GH has been so much a part of our lives for years. It's bad enough that they are taking off the other 2 soaps. Television is getting too many talk/reality shows. The soaps are as much a part of TV as the news, commericals, and drama shows. PLEASE...NO MORE TALK OR REALITY SHOWS.

May 27 2011 at 4:13 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
mamoseley3

Well, I have been a fan of General Hospital for MANY MANY years. Jax and Nicholas are my two favorite male actors on that show, so if they go, I guess I will not be watching the show any more. As far as I'm concerned, ABC is slitting their own throats with the decisions they are making these days.

May 27 2011 at 2:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tutu

If memory serves, both of them have beenlet go in the past and brought back again. I had figured something was going to happen as I havae not liked the way either of them had been written of late.

May 27 2011 at 2:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chrysstar

Awww sad to hear about Dorian Lord leaving, I really hope OLTL is saved!!! AMC hasn't been all that great in the past couple of years so Im okay with that being gone but not my One Life :(

May 27 2011 at 2:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mesager42

ABC's soaps have gone downhill in quality ever since Disney bought the network. In fact, the entire ABC network has pretty much bitten the dust so far as quality entertainment since Disney bought the network. Disney is a cheapskate corporation. I am so tired of mob storylines on soaps when there are real issues like hunger, politics, religious issues, aging, terrorism, and other more valid subjects to which more Americans could relate. If I want a mob story, I will read a novel, not watch TV.
Being that Ingo considers Hawaii his home, I've been waiting forever for GH to have a romantic luau wedding starring his character, but atlas there is nothing but shoot'em up garbage. GH has lost its real romance and fantasy that existed during those early days of Luke and Laura. At any point in time GH could have made Ingo the next Luke, but they never availed themselves of that opportunity.
I would like to see Ingo get a real acting gig on Hawaii Five-O on ABC. He would make an interesting addition to the Five-O family. His surfing talents are being wasted on GH. Those writers wouldn't know real talent if it bit them in the ass.

May 27 2011 at 2:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Judy

While I do symphasize with viewers who for one reason or another find themselves depending on their "shows" to bring a bright spot in their day, I also believe that the days of "wine and roses" and Tony Geary, Kim Zimmer, et. al. have come and gone. The vast majority of women in our society are no longer home doing the ironing while dinner is on the stove. As well, there is more to watch on TV now then could ever be conceived of 50 years ago and I am sure those who regret the passing of an iconic era in television will be able to find another venue to capture their daily attention. I am happy to see them go. What I found the most ridiculous was the keeping on of the the old "has been" women who were years and years past their time of moving on. Perhaps if they had not kept the old timers the shows would have captured more of the audiences of today, however remote the chance for that may have been. I hope all the soaps go the way of Guiding Light, One Life to Live, etc. Out with the old in the with the new.

May 27 2011 at 2:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Judy's comment
brilynnel

Did you ever hear of DVR?

May 27 2011 at 9:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply