April 19, 2014

Mariska Hargitay Opens Up About Christopher Meloni Leaving 'Law & Order: SVU'

by Jean Bentley, posted May 27th 2011 11:20AM
Christopher Meloni, Mariska Hargitay, Law and Order: SVUMariska Hargitay is just as upset as we are about Christopher Meloni's decision not to return as Det. Elliot Stabler on 'Law & Order: SVU' next season.

The actress also known as Olivia Benson told TV Line, "For the past 12 years Chris has been my partner and friend, both on screen and off. He inspired me every day with his integrity, his extraordinary talent and his commitment to the truth. I love him deeply and will miss him terribly -- I'm so excited to see what he'll do next."

We are too, Mariska. We are too.

But with a career as varied as Meloni's -- he's bounced seamlessly from prison inmate on HBO's grim 'Oz' to hilarious camp cook in 'Wet Hot American Summer' -- we're sure Meloni will never cease to surprise us with his range.

Hargitay will likely exit the series too -- but not until at least next season. The actress signed a new deal that will see her character promoted mid-season. Jennifer Love Hewitt is rumored to be in talks to replace Hargitay as the show's female detective once Benson takes on a supervisory role.

Tell us: Are you still mourning the loss of the Benson/Stabler partnership?

jabootie8

Definately mourning the loss of Stabler/Benson partnership. PLEASE come back Stabler!!!!!

May 06 2013 at 4:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lee

I'm not too happy to hear about Christopher Meloni sudden exit from Law and Order SVU because his character was an no nonsense, 0 tolerance person and I liked that about him. The show will never be the same without him. Both him and Mariska makes the show for me, and the only reason why I watch it. I understand why Chris wanted to leave the show but I'm still dumbfounded of his decision. Good Luck Chris and thanks for giving us 12 great years of your life! Take care my friend!

November 19 2012 at 10:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris Beltran

To the previous comment: Well the show isn't exactly innocent of actor reuse. There have been plenty of characters on the show that actors have been reused for. The best example would be the actress who played ADA Casey Novak. She was in a previous episode where she raped a male stripper, yet in remembering that, it didn't keep me from thinking that she still did a great performance as Casey. So if they one use JLH I say lets try it.

August 25 2012 at 12:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jen

JLH cant replace her!! she was a character on the show a victim!! you cant trick me L&O you cant trick me!!!

August 14 2012 at 4:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jen Keller

I have been behind on the series. I was watching it on netflix to catch up and I just saw the last episode of season 12 last night and watched the first episode of season 13. I loved this show!!! It is nothing w/o stabler. I love Olivia too, but her character and Stabler's character complimented each other sooooo much that is soooooo hard to replace. So I guess I will just be watching season 1-12 for the rest of my life, unless they both come back and do it again!!

June 11 2012 at 2:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
holmest113@gmail.com

IVE BEEN SO UPSET THAT CHRIS LEFT AND NOW MARISHKA IS LEAVING? BRING CHRIS MELONI BACK! GET THESE TWO BACK TOGETHER. YOU DONT LET SOMETHING THAT WORKS SO WELL, GO. WHAT ARE YA'LL DOING? GIVE THEM WHATEVER THEY WANT TO COME BACK. THEY ARE THE BEST POLICE TEAM SINCE STARSKY AND HUTCH. IF MARISHKAR LEAVES, THE SHOW WILL BE CANCELLED THE FOLLOWING YEAR. MOCK MY WORDS. I KNOW SO MANY PEOPLE WHO HAVE ALREADY STOPPED WATCHING. CAN'T IMAGINE MY LIFE WITHOUT "SVU". SOMEBODY, DO SOMETHING!!!!!

May 23 2012 at 10:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wendy Marie Hall

since chris gone i refuse to watch it since he no longer her partner it stink he played a awesome cop and now i heart broken please make him come back or nobody will watch svu

April 23 2012 at 5:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tinman

I've been done with the show for awhile. As a cop, we don't wear our hearts on our sleeves. You can't do your job otherwise. The emotions and drama got too much and I switched to Criminal Intent.

April 18 2012 at 8:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
emily jane donovan

its bad enough chris left. if mariska leaves im DONE with the show

April 05 2012 at 7:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shemika

I REFUSE to watch once Mariska leaves... IT WILL NEVER BE THE SAME!!!

February 10 2012 at 6:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply