November 21, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Rachel Prayed to Be Skinny on 'Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition' Premiere (VIDEO)

by Jason Hughes, posted May 31st 2011 3:24AM
'Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition'It's been a while, but the 'Extreme Makeover' franchise has a second spin-off. The first one, 'Home Edition' has obviously far surpassed its disastrous plastic surgery parent, and this latest iteration looks to inspire personal change through natural means rather than cosmetic.

'Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition' (Mon., 10PM ET on ABC) premiered with the year-long story of one person struggling with weight, and will continue spotlighting a single person for each of its eight episodes.

Taking more from 'Heavy' than competition shows like 'The Biggest Loser,' the only prize on 'EM: WLE' is regaining a sense of self-worth and confidence, and possibly the chance to live a fuller, happier and longer life.

That said, this is being brought to the screen by the same producers behind 'The Biggest Loser.' The participants were actually too big for the NBC competition series, which means that their need to lose weight is even greater.

In the first episode, trainer Chris Powell worked with Rachel, who started at 369 lbs and went on to shed 161 lbs in a year. Chris will be the central figure of the series, much like Ty Pennington is for the 'Home Edition,' and he's certainly got the charisma to pull it off.

"When I was younger, I would always pray that I would know what it would feel like to be skinny," Rachel said at her final reveal, showing off her new figure and radiant smile.

This is feel-good television, which is what the 'Extreme Makeover' brand has become all about. Maybe we can now look forward to 'Extreme Makeover: Career Edition' and 'Extreme Makeover: Marriage Edition.'

Weight loss

Extreme weight loss, however, comes with risks. Like with any natural process. http://fitnessandweightloss.us

October 25 2011 at 8:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TM

How could anyone, man, woman or child, allow themselves to get that fat in the first place? That must have been hell, trying to take off all that weight. I wish her the best!.

May 31 2011 at 8:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
abrath8793

Under ALL THAT...are these amazing people.What a body transformation can do.Then there are those things like "compliments" they are hearing for the very first time.What a feeling that must be.

May 31 2011 at 7:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Margot Hilaire

Here is my diet tip. Eat a banana or dring a banana milk shake. If you are to skinny you gain and if you are fat you loose on bananas. Do it 3 times a day and nothing else, soon you are in a perfect shape.

May 31 2011 at 7:53 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
BROKEN6STRING

Congrats!!! One hell of an accomplishment. Now you'll have to watch out for the annoying guys saying huba-huba and whistling at you when you walk by. Good Luck to you.

May 31 2011 at 7:28 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
iss4me

Rachel, your story and testimony is wonderful and very inspirational to all who has tried to lose weight. Its soo easy for people to give negitive remarks and comments rather than compliment others on a job well done. Its also difficult to lose weight after you're used to having it with you for so long. I commend you on such a great job. I too am on my way to a healthier me, it isn't easy. I wish I could afford Chris Powell for only 30 days. lol. God bless you Rachel and your family. Tell your mom congrats on losing her 50 pounds also.

May 31 2011 at 7:25 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Chala

What a grand accomplishment by a strong beautiful woman who fought her own toughest challenge -- and won. Awesome job Rachael. You inspire and set an example for us all.

May 31 2011 at 7:21 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
ninjaniko9

The writer of this article messed up the weight numbers. Rachel didn't shed 161 lbs., she lost 208 lbs. At 161, she looks great. Jason Hughes, no offense, but if you're going to write about a new reality show and how much weight the person lost, watch the show first. That way, you'll have the right details.

May 31 2011 at 7:01 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to ninjaniko9's comment
kahunacook

I must have misunderstood as well as the writer, as I watched the video again, due to your post, it says, "Total weight lost - 161 lbs." It shows the calculation of original weight 369, current weight 208, total pounds lost 161. In any case it's a terrific job by Rachel!

June 01 2011 at 8:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ellistom

if she considers herself skinny at 208, she's delusional. It's great that she's losing a lot of weight, but if she considers herself "done" losing weight, and she's STILL over 200 lbs, then she's insane. People that indulge her are just allowing her and themselves to be fat. 208?! skinny? really? wow

May 31 2011 at 6:51 PM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
owr1491

Got to admit, I didn't look to close ar her face in the before photo, but taking a close look now, she is one beautiful lady. If she can lose another 30 or 40 pounds. I would compare her to ANYTHING Hollyweird can offer. Rachel, I'm proud of your determination.

May 31 2011 at 6:51 PM Report abuse +7 rate up rate down Reply