November 24, 2014

'Fear Factor' Readies for Comeback 5 Years After Cancellation

by Chris Harnick, posted Jun 2nd 2011 12:45PM
Fear FactorIt's been five years since 'Fear Factor' was canceled by NBC, but now, according to Reality Blurred, the show is readying for its big scary return.

A message on the show's casting website reads: "The original hit TV series is back and ready to challenge teams of two to compete for up to $50,000."

Entertainment Weekly confirmed the revival news. Paul Telegdy, head of alternative programming at NBC, said the series is doing well in reruns on NBC's sister network Chiller.

"No one has come close to doing what they've done on that show," Telegdy said. "You go back and they've stood the test of time. It always had this incredible spectacle to it."

The show is looking for teams of two -- you can be siblings, couples, roommates, whatever, just two people -- to compete in the greater Los Angeles area.

'Fear Factor' was absent from NBC's Upfront presentation and no return date has been given.

In case you forgot, 'Fear Factor' is a reality competition show that puts ordinary people (and sometimes celebrities) in situations where they must overcome fears and do stunts, from eating bugs to escaping from a sunken car.

The show aired from June 2001 until September 2006 with comedian Joe Rogan as host.

"The stunt and camera technologies have evolved since then, we're going to be able to make it even bigger," Telegdy told EW. "We're going to make it more visually arresting."

Tell us: Do you want to see new episodes of 'Fear Factor'?

Animated Gif Man

LOSE the "eat the most disgusting [sometimes live] food imaginable" part of the show entirely... Frankly, this is where I used to change the channel (often mising the rest of the show).

June 05 2011 at 3:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Suzanne

If I were twenty years younger I'd be trying to talk my spouse or a friend to apply to Fear Factor! So glad it's coming back!

June 04 2011 at 7:19 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
kelly

it is it going to start back up.. so excitedddd.. and i hope joe rogan will be host again..we were so upset when they took the show off.. can't wait to watch it.. nbc is finally doing something right..

June 03 2011 at 5:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gregginsarasota

Compare what America was watching in the 1950's through the 1980's. Now we are watching "reality shows" and garbage like "Fear Factor". Jon & Kate + 8, The Kardashians, Jersey Snore, and all of the other pathetic "reality shows" shows us one thing. The citizens of the USA are desperate for entertainment, and will settle for garbage.
Our standards have fallen to rock bottom. I used to like Chelsea Lately, but after watching the show for almost a year, I realize it is also just plain old Hollyweird Garbage. They are so sloppy, they don't even do a "take two" and retape when she screws up her lines (which is very often). They just keep on filming despite the f..k ups.

As long as we continue to watch, Hollyweird will continue to spew out the garbage and fodder they are broadcasting. I end up watching Fox News, Animal Planet, Discovery Science, and anything else that isn't mainstream network Tv. About the only thing I watch on the major networks is "Wheel of Fortune" and "Jeopardy".
The rest is all garbage. -gregg in Sarasota, FL

June 03 2011 at 4:43 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
ccfornow

I definitely want tol see fear factor back!!!!!

June 03 2011 at 2:32 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Linda

Gotta love these network executives. Cancel good shows to put "reality" crap like this on.

June 03 2011 at 2:30 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
richar5795

It just shows how desperate the media entertainment people are. This was a stupid and disgusting show. I watched it twice...eating cow eyeballs...just stupid.

June 03 2011 at 2:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Louis

I have no interest in watching people, (?) with intelligence, (??) eat posinous insects, and other disgusting things, as well as put their lives in jeopardy for a few dollars. Any competition using mind and/or physical fitness is fine, but fear factor insults most peoples intelligence. It can stay off the air as far as I am concerned and if on the air, I wont be watching.

June 03 2011 at 1:53 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Colleen

YES YES I LOVE THE SHOE I HOPE JOE WILL BE BACK TOO

June 03 2011 at 1:50 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Colleen's comment
charpist5

I love shoes too (lol) but not the show.

June 03 2011 at 2:18 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Jeannette

Yep, loved it. And absolutely use Joe Rogan. Won't be the same without him!!

June 03 2011 at 1:29 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply