October 31, 2014

TLC Renews 'Extreme Couponing' for Season 2

by Chris Harnick, posted Jun 6th 2011 4:00PM
Extreme CouponingFans of saving money by embracing your obsessive tendencies take note: TLC has renewed 'Extreme Couponing' for a second season.

"'Extreme Couponing' has struck a chord with our viewers and has sparked a passion in people who are looking for creative ways to save money," Amy Winter, general manager of TLC, said in a statement. "The series is creating even more super shoppers and we are lining our shelves with their remarkable stories."

The series, which features people who take clipping coupons very seriously, has averaged 1.9 million total viewers. The new season of 12 episodes is already in production and scheduled to debut in September.

Coming up on the finale two episodes of Season 1:

June 8, 9:30PM ET
'Joni & Angelique'
"Ohio's Joni supports her family of nine along with her charities through couponing. She tries to get $3,100 worth of groceries for less than $100. In Washington state, Angelique stays up all night planning for her shopping trip."

June 16, marathon starts at 3PM, new episode at 9:30PM ET
'Scott & Jen'
"Scott, from Long Island, NY, gears up for one last shopping trip before his wife Amy gives birth. Meanwhile, in Las Vegas, Jen uses couponing to home school her twin six-year-olds."

Tell us: Are you a fan of 'Extreme Couponing'?

Carole

I just want you to know that I am disturbed by your show. I don't know if TLC and A&E are owned by the same broadcasting group but you should get together because you could do a show for each channel, yours, extreme couponing, and for thiers, hoarding. It is really having an impact on couponing as common practice. Stores are changing policies and families are not able to have the savings they used to get because of the uncommon practices shown on the show. Clipping services and dumpster diving? Really? These are not realistic! Not to mention, the people who organize thier stockpile to feel happy need to see a therapist or get a pet!

September 08 2011 at 11:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Deidre

It's a double coupon week at Kmart this week, Aug 21-27 2011 and you can use the cuckoo for coupon deals list and get 10 items free!

August 22 2011 at 10:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sierra

Friends!
It appears several of you were disgruntled about not getting a good deal for yourselves. Due to couponing something GOOD did come out of it and that is the AMERICAN company Varolo. I invite you to take a closer look at this site;
varolo.com/village/SierraHarbison

Here you are able to watch commercials of your favorite products and get FREE coupons. You can also earn cash and prizes, but in our economy couponing is a big way to save money on household items that we are all using!

July 22 2011 at 11:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Honey

I live in the rivervalley of Arkansas the natural state. I do enjoy the show however since I have started working on my coupons and such I have found alot of road blocks such as limit of amount of coupons per visit, (20) oh and this one 2 of the same kind in on visit per day. So how do I go around this. Arkansas is dominated by Wal-mart since most stores around here do not double past $.60 I take my .75 to a $1.00 coupons to wal-mart, there is not a limit on how many or likes of the same, no questions are asked etc. but remember check your size limit on the coupon. Because they and the computer will.
Thanks for the entertainment. Would like to be on the show.

Honeylynn

June 21 2011 at 6:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dealznstealz Shopz

Kroger Couponers has members all over the nation that are boycotting Kroger. Kroger did not put a disclaimer in the TLC Extreme Couponing show - the transactions can't be replicated and the show is a detriment to consumers. Be aware - even if the store you shop is not on this show, Kroger is the second largest retailer and other retailers will follow suit. Kroger has made drastic changes to the coupon policy nationwide and customers that are not boycotting are being berated by Kroger employees for use of coupons. In my opinion Kroger promoted the show and changed coupon policies to rush the ONSET of digitals coupons. Kroger makes a bigger profit on digitals and after datamining customers, customers can then be segmented with emphasis on the most “affluent” allowing digitals to be greatly limited and targeted to this smaller base of customers. Steven Boal, chief executive officer of Coupons.com stated “We’ve got significant client pressure to drive more and more of their promotions in digital, and out of the Sunday newspaper.” http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-06-09/coupons-com-investment-is-said-to-value-company-at-1-billion.html TLC spokesman Dustin Smith countered that the show was never intended to be a couponing tutorial.
“This is a docu-series of behaviors; it's not a how-to program,” he said. http://supermarketnews.com/marketing/coupon_users_star_0509/index.html

The Industry does not support the show yet TLC announced last week they renewed the series. CIC made an official statement
http://www.couponinformationcenter.com/extremecoupon.php?st=5fe98 and How Much Does Extreme Couponing Trend Hurt? http://supermarketnews.com/viewpoints/extreme_couponing_trend_0606/

Couponing as we know it is changing and not for the good. I only hope the industry is not making a cohesive decision as part of their industry collaborative associations to end affordable groceries. This will impact many families trying to make ends meet with both gas and food prices skyrocketing. Join us at Kroger Couponers on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/groups/krogercouponers

June 13 2011 at 1:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joyce Coulter

Because of this show I am finding people sitting inside of our local recycle bins just to get coupons! They do not realize they are risking their health,since they saw it on your show. There can be metal, glass, mice, roaches, syringes etc. inside them. One older woman told me not to worry, she was up to date on her shots. You need to inform people this is dangerous. Local stores also complain since your show there is a rise in coupon fraud. Some have even been shown on your show!! Please reconsider and stop this maddness. If this is a "learning" channel, teach them how to coupon and shop responsabily. This has just created greed.

June 07 2011 at 10:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mommy

Unfortunately, this show is the stories of people with OCD & Hoarding issues along with somthing similar to the thrill of a Gambling Addiction. I'ts very sad to watch. In the episodes I've watched there was only ONE person who seemed not to suffer from such a condition. She stated that she didn't need all of the items & dontes a good bit of her coupon hauls to the local animal shelters & food banks. When you can look at your stock pile that has taken over your home & "think it's pretty" & it "makes you happy" there is a problem with your self esteem, where you feel that is what validates you as a person. Sorry, but I've used this show as a tool to show my kids how even good intentions can go absurdly wrong in an extreme way.

June 07 2011 at 9:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
phunyuns

I think the biggest problem with this show isnt the fraudulent coupon practices, its that these people STOCKPILE all this stuff. They are essentially glorified hoarders, that just keep all their stuff tidy. Have you watched it, have you seen their "stash" They have rooms filled with stuff as if their house was an actual grocery store. I go through one dish soap bottle in like 2-3months imagine going through 200 bottles, at even 5 bottles a year, that would take me like 40yrs to use them all. They buy so much that they would never have to buy it again, but then it goes on sale and they "have" to have it because its on sale so why not. Its such a waste. I know its their money blah blah blah, but why not donate some of the stuff so it actually gets used and then they will have more room for more stuff. ( I think I saw one couple that actually does donate but they still have a huge stockpile)

June 07 2011 at 9:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alyson

You have to remember that this is showing the extreme side of couponing. That's why it's called "Extreme Couponing". These people are spending weeks getting their coupons and shopping lists together. In real life, no one would buy 95 bags of croutons. It was done for the show. Sure, someone might be 10 things of laundry detergent because they can get it at a really good deal. There's nothing wrong with that. People that watch this show need to realize that it is extreme. As a couponer myself, I rarely buy more than 5 or 6 items at a time because I simply don't have room for it and it will go bad before my family of three can use it. Most couponers are the same way. Please don't think that this series reflects how all couponers are. We are trying to save money for our families, and couponing does that. To the person who stated that they don't buy fruits, veggies, or meat on the show, I say to them again to think about the fact that they are trying to get all they can for super cheap. Most couponers don't do huge hauls every week like you see on the show. My weekly grocery trips consist of things I use coupons of like cereal, laundry detergent, health and beauty supplies, frozen foods, etc, plus meat, vegetables, and fruit. This show is painting all couponers with a very broad brush, and it's not all accurate. :)

June 07 2011 at 9:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Micki

Manufacturers are restricting how to use their coupons and lowering their redeemable value. Procter and Gamble (P&G) coupons now state (in bold red letters) "LIMIT ONE COUPON PER PURCHASE" and "LIMIT 4 LIKE COUPONS in same shopping trip". It's written in English and Spanish on every coupon.

On this show we have seen people: steal newspapers from neighbor porches and driveways, use their kids to collect coupons at school, wallow around in trash dumpsters, and abuse printing restrictions of coupons on home computers by using multiple printers and Email addresses. Pure and simple - TLC is teaching viewers how to steal from product manufacturers and retailers. I only watched this show as it became an ongoing topic of conversation about mental illness in my college psychology course last semester. I will not be watching in the future.

Last week I stood in line at the store and watched the customer in front of me verbally beat up the cashier for not accepting her coupons for plastic sandwich bags - forcing the cashier to override the system to get her four $1 off coupon used even though she did not have the required amount of bags. My cashier was near tears as she started my check-out. Hostile working conditions are illegal in this country. We raise our voices about bullying online and in our schools - I don't need to see it in my grocery store either. Follow the store and manufacturer coupon policies to the letter - and when you are caught abusing it, just say "I'm sorry, my mistake", shut up and move on. Your loud verbal protests get no sympathy from me.

I also have to wonder about the vast amounts of merchandise that is then stored in these peoples homes. I know sodas, frozen foods, toothpastes and canned goods do have expiration dates. When you see some of these stockpiles kept by these merchandise hoarders you know it will go stale and expire before ever being completely used. How much is then donated on or near expiration dates? I'm sure these hoarders also demand their donation receipts and write it all off on their taxes too. What a racket - steal from manufacturers and the government too. Their "drop in the bucket" savings have far-reaching ramifications on the economy that affects all of us.

Online coupons have product print limit too. Manufacturers only put so many coupons out there fon the 'net for consumers to use - so that "extreme couponer" who cheated the system and printed off 20 coupons for her next shopping trip just denied 19 other shoppers the ability to use that manufacturers coupon. Nice job stealing again.

We are told some of these merchandise stockpiles are valued in the thousands of dollars. What happens when the house goes up in flames, or suffers a natural disaster like a flood or tornado? Are these "extreme couponers" filing claims with their insurance companies for their stockpiles? That's just another form of stealing which will then raise ALL of our insurance rates

June 07 2011 at 9:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply