July 25, 2014

'Golden Girls' Theme Song Writer Andrew Gold Dies at 59

by Jean Bentley, posted Jun 6th 2011 11:30AM
The Golden GirlsYou might not have heard of Andrew Gold, but you've definitely heard his work.

The singer-songwriter worked with luminaries like Linda Ronstadt, Art Garfunkel, Celine Dion, James Taylor and Sir Paul McCartney in the '70s, but he was most famous for the iconic tune 'Thank You For Being a Friend,' which was used as the theme song for 'The Golden Girls' during the sitcom's seven-year run.

Gold died Friday of a heart attack in Los Angeles at age 59. You know what this means -- Betty White will truly outlive us all.

After the jump, sing along with us as we honor Gold's life (and amazing contribution to the TV landscape).

thomasbenedit

nice song, nice vocals

June 07 2011 at 5:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
monevilizabeth

Every Halloween since they were toddlers (they're now teens) Andrew Gold's album "Halloween Howls" has been a staple in our car's CD player starting October 1st. My daughter has used songs from it for school projects. (Spooky Scary Skeletons as an example of alliteration [sp?] in song for example).

A great loss for the world, but a blessing he left behind such a varied and wonderful legacy.

June 07 2011 at 3:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rachelvis

I loved all the Golden girls...but at least betty white as some class about her, she doesn't go around flaunting the fact that I'm the last girl standing...but if you look at the sun Studio guys. Elvis, Johnny Cash, carl Perkins, Jerry Lee Lewis, well jerry Lee Lewis has flaunted before everyone "that I'm the last man standing", even put it on a CD. at first I thought well guess thats ok, but then he keeps saying the same thing over and over again, I'm the last one, i'm the last one living,.well Jerry no one cares anymore, we lost the best in the beginning..to lost Elvis and then Johnny Cash was enough for me and millions of others...thats when the music for that generation somewhat took a hard hit...your still alive and really after seeing you in Durant, OK, your lucky to be able to play the piano, your more like a church type piano player than what you were back in the day,,a rock n roller. jumping and laying all over that piano, and your arrogance as yet to leave you...that part of you I detest, reallyy I do..yes I'm an Elvis fan and Johnny cash fan, only because these guys were genuine and really down to earth nice men, your not nice at all, maybe if your in a good mood, but I know for sure Elvis could be in the worse of moods and still be able to give his fans a smile.....your last CD.."Mean old man" fits you too a T...you are mean, and one day hopefully you can come down off your selfmade pedestal and be human with people, you've got alot of fans but if you keep, yelling at the, and telling them to shut up during concerts while your playing, your gonna lose them old man..."remember when I stood at the front near you trying to take a picture of you for my ?Grandmother (a friend of mines grandmother) and the camera wouldnt work but it was new, and you stopped playing and said to me in front of this crowd"Honey what do you want?" the crowd laughed , and I pointed to the camera as to say its not working but you shook your head like you were pissed and went back to playing...Well just to let you know, we didnt get the picture, and my friends grandmother died...she was a huge fan of yours, I would not dare tell her how rude you were since she was dying, I told her a lie, I said you wished her the best and she smiled...with no picture to give her...she went to sleep and never woke up again....Your one low down dirty ass dog......you act as tho your 18 but you look silly up there kicking a piano stool, like you did way back then, in the olden days..your days really need to be spent with your family...the few small groups of fans you have don't know ya,,,I told one of them, yell out to him to play your favorite song and this man whom all you fans made will tell you to kiss his ass , he will play what he wants and you bought the ticket and you will get a hell of a show...really Jerry?? I've see your shows they suck but you don't care about the bullshit you give people..so jerry Kiss My Ass..low life SOB..now i'm speaking your language-bitch..

June 07 2011 at 2:47 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Rachelvis's comment
kirkinoregon

Seriously lady, go take your meds (which you have obviously neglected as of late)...and go to bed.

You're an idiot who apparently A) Can't read and respond in fact...or B) Is delusional (hence the advise to go get your meds).

June 07 2011 at 3:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dolphingrl7

That song is so uplifting - God Bless your soul Andrew Gold - you shall live on forever with your songs in our hearts!

June 07 2011 at 2:27 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Rue

I do believe everyone knows this song. : )

June 07 2011 at 12:54 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Joel

I love "The Golden Girls" and their theme song "Thank You For Being A Friend".
It always puts a smile on my face. May Andrew rest in peace.

June 07 2011 at 12:34 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Joel

I love "The Golden Girls" and the song Andrew composed for the show called "Thank You For Being A Friend".
It always puts a smile on my face.
May Andrew rest in peace.

June 07 2011 at 12:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joel

I love "The Golden Girls" and the song "Thank You For Being A Friend". It always puts a smile on my face.
May Andrew rest in peace.

June 07 2011 at 12:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ddpoag

I hope Miss White does out live us all. She's a very special lady.

June 07 2011 at 12:28 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to ddpoag's comment
Deb

Don't you remember ddpoag....
Betty is going to have her head frozen!! :) LOL

Love the song! So uplifting!
My condolences to Andrew's family!

June 07 2011 at 1:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rollingfrogmusic

Met him once, and he couldn't have been any nicer. Andrew was incredibly talented and seemed truly grateful for his successes. Heck of a guy and he'll be missed.

June 07 2011 at 12:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply