October 26, 2014

Katie Couric Signs Deal With ABC for Daytime Talk Show

by Chris Harnick, posted Jun 6th 2011 1:50PM
Katie CouricKatie Couric has officially joined ABC with a syndicated talk show and a role at ABC News, the network confirmed today.

Couric's new show reunites her with her former NBC boss Jeff Zucker, who will produce the new series. The untitled show will debut in September 2012 and film in New York.

"I'm very happy to be returning to the network where I began my career as a desk assistant in 1979," Couric said in a statement. "It is tremendously exciting to have the creative freedom to develop my own show with Anne Sweeney, the Disney/ABC TV Group and Jeff, and to contribute to such a vibrant, innovative news division. I can't wait to be part of this incredibly talented, visionary team."

Couric anchored 'CBS Evening News' for five years after leaving NBC, where she had worked since 1989. While her new talk show doesn't debut until next fall, Couric will begin anchoring ABC News specials starting this summer. She'll contribute to ABC News across all platforms and programs.

Couric's new talk show will air on ABC's owned and operated stations at 3PM in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Houston, Raleigh/Durham and Fresno.

The new talk show will join 'The Chew' and 'The Revolution' as part of ABC daytime. In the announcement of Couric's new deal, ABC said it "continues to support 'General Hospital.'"

"Katie Couric is one of television's iconic figures and we are thrilled to have forged such an exciting partnership with her," Anne Sweeney, president of Disney/ABC Television Group and co-chair of Disney Media Networks, said in a statement. "We look forward to having Katie join the best News team in the business, and to working with her to create a dynamic and successful talk show franchise."

Tell us: Will you watch Katie Couric's new talk show?

fsterud

Listen, who the heck keeps hiring Katie? Are they crazy or on drugs? She failed how many times. I wish I could fail that much and still be hired for the same job over and over again and not for pennies but millions. I think I want to talk to Katie about what she has on these executives. Her personality sucks! What is going on? I know I am not alone in my thinking. I WILL NOT BE WATCHING A WOMAN THAT HAS AS PERSONALITY AS SOME DULL CARDBOARD. I want to know who these executives are because I would like to sell them some property down under.

May 26 2012 at 8:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Colleen

IF they remove GH--I WILL NOT BE watching this station any longer.. GH or any other soap have been on for years and it is NOT right to replace them after this long.... Why must someone come and MESS up things -- that are GREAT.. Leave stuff alone... Never happy with things that are just fine.. I want my GH to stay!!!!!!

July 07 2011 at 7:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
vm02

No I will not watch Katie Couric. Why would you consider taking off one of the best soaps ever "General Hospital" & replace it with a woman who has failed in CBS & NBC. I so look forward to watching GH. Please, if you must put her on ABC, give her another time slot........like midnight!

June 07 2011 at 2:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pat Cote

I think Katie should look for a new times slot. I also think that we have enough talk shows. I will refuse to watch this network again if they take "General Hospital" off for Katie Couric. This would be a hugh mistake for this network. I have watched General Hospital since 1963 and it has been my favorite since then. It takes you away from the war news and misery of this planet for 1 hour and it makes you forget some of the misery surrounding us. It is the one enjoyment my husband and I have left. Take this away and I think that would do it. We won't be watching Katie or anything else on this channel again. I hope they change their minds on this if not they are taking a chance on going out of business.

June 07 2011 at 8:08 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
KSB

JUST WHEN I THOUGHT ABC COULD NOT GET ANY WORSE THEY DID! "KATIE COURIC" YOU CAN BET I WILL NOT BE WATCHING. WHO WANTS TO LISTEN TO MORE LIBERAL PROPAGANTA? IT IS OBVIOUS TO ME THAT ABC HAS AN AGENDA. THEY ARE TURNING INTO A VERSION OF CNN & MSNBC! IT STARTS WITH GMA, THEN THE VIEW & NOW KATIE. I GUESS THEY DON'T NEED TO WORRY ABOUT RATINGS, THEY APPARENTLY HAVE ALOT OF DEEP POCKETS BACKING THEM.

June 07 2011 at 5:20 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
sahmpmt

PMT
No, I won't be watching Katie Couric's new talk show. After the soaps go, ABC won't have anything left for me to watch except The View and Diane Sawyer. Two of the best shows on TV are AMC and OLTL and they want to get rid of them. I probably wouldn't start to watch these shows if they were new today, but I have followed them for the last forty years. I will really miss them and there's really nothing better that ABC can put in place of them. They already have the viewers for these shows, or they wouldn't still be here after forty years, so why replace them with something that might not make it for one season? I'm sorry, but I just don't believe I will be leaving my TV on ABC all day anymore as I do now. I listen to my local news on my ABC channel because I'm waiting for AMC. Now I may not even bother to turn on the TV. The soaps are good to have on while one is doing housework , because you only have to listen and can carry on your work at the same time. Makes the work a little more enjoyable. This is because you know the voices of the characters and don't have to be glued to the TV. I just can't understand why another network wouldn't buy these shows, since they obviously have more viewers than ABC previously thought. I know that I have never been counted, nor has anyone I know that watches these shows. So, no, I won't be watching any new shows on ABC. This is absolutely nothing personal against Katie Couric.

June 07 2011 at 1:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
brooklynne14

I will never watch Ms. Couric. I find her unwatchable. She was a failure on CBS< and she will be a failure on ABC. What were they thinking when they hired her? Certainly not the viewers, who want to see GH at 3pm, and only GH.

June 07 2011 at 1:18 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
patciti

Why do people like her keep failing and these supposed "genuises" at the networks
keep shoving her down our throats????
Enough - sick of her!!!

June 07 2011 at 12:28 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
BARBIEDOLL5214

i like katie , ihe is smart , funny, and interesting. i still miss her with matt lauer. will she be in oprah's old time slot. i miss her too. i hope she comes back. i am also glad that my two favorite soaps are on cbs. the y & t and the bold and the beautiful. i have been watching them for about twenty years or so. any way good luck katie and don't be bashing the republicans and we all know that obama is charmingly alarming.

June 07 2011 at 12:22 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Rosemarie Meneo

I will definitely will NOT be watching Kaite Couric's new talk show;while I respect Ms.Couric as a journalist and especially as a cancer activist,I,like millions of other fans across the country,are outraged at the thought of ''General Hospital'' being canceled,particularly on the heels of the saddening news of the cancellation of ''All My Children'' and ''One Life to Live''.These daytime dramas have been on the air for over 40 years-I'd like to see Ms Couric's talk show or the other generic replacement shows ABC has planned to stay on the air even a quarter of that time.A lot of fans are still fighting to save the soaps-one such facebook group is ''Save AMC & OLTL'';I hope we are successful.

June 06 2011 at 11:16 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply