July 24, 2014

What's the Future of 'General Hospital'?

by Michael Maloney, posted Jun 7th 2011 9:00AM
General HospitalABC's announcement today that it has signed Katie Couric to a multi-platform deal -- which includes a daytime talk show -- wasn't great news for fans of 'General Hospital.'

But it could have been far worse. ABC said in its statement that it "continues to support 'General Hospital.'"

Couric's show is set to take the 'GH' 3PM ET time slot in Sept. 2012. The network has already announced that 'The Chew' will replace 'All My Children' this fall, and 'The Revolution' will fill 'One Life to Live''s timeslot next year, but this doesn't necessarily mean that 'GH' is going to that great soap opera in the sky.

Read on for analysis of what the future holds for Luke, Tracy, Sonny, Jason and the rest of Port Charles ...

"The announcement does not mean the inevitable cancellation of 'GH,'" an ABC rep says in a statement. "Rather it means that in Sept. 2011 we will program our daytime block with our three strongest shows. We'll have options for the Daytime daypart just like we do each year with our Primetime [schedule]. We believe in all our shows and the ones that our viewers want will be the ones that continue.

"There are MANY options that could happen ... only time will tell ... we are simply giving ourselves options for the future, which is a smart way to do business. The best way to ensure a favorite show stays on the air is to watch it."

Some of the options include shortening hour-long programs to 30 minutes in length, which could mean all the shows hoping to stay on the air would get a time slot.

"The best thing that could happen for 'GH' would be for either 'The Chew' or 'The Revolution' to fail," says a Daytime Emmy-winning producer, who requested anonymity for this story.

Cooking and lifestyle shows are much cheaper to produce than soap operas, so in order to stay competitive 'GH' may have to "renegotiate everything," suggests the producer.

Ratings for 'GH' may go up when SOAPnet (which currently airs rebroadcasts of the sudser) goes away, though there will need to be a campaign to drive viewers back to ABC. But 'GH' viewers have something denied fans of most canceled soaps: They have time to support their show and encourage lapsed viewers to return.

"The show has to go back to its roots and hope that the viewers come home," says the producer. "The fans will have to go back and start watching again. It's like Tinkerbell. You have to applaud if you want her to live."

So 'GH' fans: Are you ready to applaud, tune in and show your support to ensure the show stays on the air?

portavita

i already miss judge Judy at 4-5, I cant imagine no General hospital at 3. i schedule all my appointments around these two shows.:(

July 15 2012 at 9:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa Enderle Rado

Supposed to be an announcement this week that GH is cancelled. It's last air date 1/4/13

April 11 2012 at 12:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bobbi Hatez

I've been watching General Hospital for 30+ years. Please, please don't take off this well-loved soap. It is a classic. Many have grown up with it and the characters. Be loyal to us as we have been to you. You already took 2 soaps off the air. Leave GH alone- there are many, many fans out here that love it and would be lost without it. We need our soap! Thanks for listening and please really DO listen and keep it right where it is!

April 05 2012 at 10:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Evon Fowler

If you love General Hospital and you don't want to see it go off the air then pass it along that no one is watching the Revolution at 2pm. Maybe if they see the Resolution fell they will think twice about taking general Hospital off the air. Pass it along!!!! How ever you can pass it twitter, general hospital fans, on your face book page, put a sign on your car, whatever you can do. Let's show ABC that the fans do matter.

March 16 2012 at 4:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Evon Fowler

Eve

March 16 2012 at 4:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa Weiner

I want General Hospital stay on the Abc network because it's my favorite daytime soap opera and I really enjoy watching it alot. It would really make me so happy if General Hospital could stay on the ABC network forever. Lisa Weiner

February 26 2012 at 2:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kristie Yacheson

This is totally ridiculous that abc now wants to take off General Hospital for Katie Couric talk show.Well i know that me and ,all my friends won't even watch any of those shows that replaced the soaps.ABC is making really stupid decissions,hope that the shows totally fail.We have way too many talk shows and cooking shows already.DAMN....At least keep it on soap channel thats what you should of done with All my Children and One Life To Live new shows not reruns.

February 22 2012 at 3:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nancy Heseman Renth

I just read the whole article above and have to make a few more comments---giving yourselves options??? a good way to do business???? What about our options???? There are alot of us that have been faithful viewers for many many years and now that Katie needs a job you're going to take this away from us???? I don't like the option of shortening it to 30 minutes, which is about 15 minutes by the time you take the commercials out, but if it has to be I would rather that than not at all!!!!The Chew or the Revolution to fail, time will tell, but I've never watched the chew, the title turns me off! What I've seen of the revolution, in my opinion, it won't make it till Sept.If ABC needs to cut something, I highly recommend cutting the Maury Povich Show!!!!! That is the most disgusting show that is on all of tv!!!! Take it offf and put GH in its place, I'll bet alot of people would agree on that---why not take a poll on that???!!! GH is all I watch on ABC so I guess when and if it's gone, I wont even know that there is an ABC!!!!!!!!!

February 16 2012 at 12:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nancy Heseman Renth

I have to say I have watched GH for 40+ years and I never thought that I would have to say goodbye to this all time favorite!! I totally aggravated!!! Katie Coric???? Really???? Leave her to the news shows in the morning!!! Tv is going to overdo this talk show thing==not to count the things that have been on for quite awhile, but now we have The View, The Talk, The Chew, (wonder how long it took them to think up those names! RIDICULOUS), The Revolution and now whatever little miss Katies will be called. Give me a break!!! It will probably flop and then what??? ABC will have gotten rid of an alltime favorite for nothing! Don't you seriously think people are getting full of this crap???!!!!! Please save GH!!

February 15 2012 at 11:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mae Smith

I have watched General Hospital and Young and Restless for 30 yrs. I am tired of talk shows etc. I would miss these two in particular. I only turn my TV on during the day to watch these two soaps. Otherwise NCIS, Criminal Minds, and a couple of new evening shows have been very enjoyable . I would just not watch if these went off. Start reading books again etc. Not such a bad idea anyway. I am amazed at how much crap is on that is not worth watching and then they take off the ones you can look forward to watching, what is wrong with this picture.

November 16 2011 at 7:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply