December 22, 2014

'The Voice': Three Things We Never Want to See Again

by Maggie Furlong, posted Jun 8th 2011 3:45PM
Christina Aguilera performs on 'The Voice'Last night, I went online and voted for reality TV contestants for the first time in my life, and I blame it all on 'The Voice.'

NBC's new hit reality singing competition has captured our attention and our hearts with touching stories, an interesting coaching concept and truly talented performers. Plus, the star power of coaches Cee Lo Green, Christina Aguilera, Blake Shelton and Adam Levine can't be denied.

But it's not all butterflies and rainbows, and this week's first live performance show proved that.

Here, three things from last night's show that I never want to see again on 'The Voice,' and one thing I could watch all day -- and you can, thanks to our looping video!

Cee Lo Green, 'The Voice'1. Cee Lo's eyeballs
Some people speculated that Cee Lo was using his vast collection of dark sunglasses to nod off during less impressive performances, or to maintain an air of mystery.

Either way, I want those sunglasses back.

There were a lot of complaints online about his new facial hair last night (really? a pencil-thin mustache?), but I couldn't see past his eyes.

The coaches perform, 'The Voice'2. Christina's leather diaper
Does Christina Aguilera have a leather hot pants endorsement deal we don't know about? Between Cee Lo's eyes and all of Christina's legs, it was hard to concentrate on the singers.

A) Those can't be comfortable, B) it's June in L.A. and C) she was wearing them again in all of this week's practice footage! It's like they're literally glued to her body!

And don't even get me started on that wig/weave situation ...
Jared Blake, 'The Voice'3. Jared Blake
This "second chance" contestant better not get a third.

I was baffled when Blake Shelton turned his chair around for Jared, and even more shocked when he won his battle round, but after last night's over-the-top performance and equally messy outfit, I'm out.

Yes, 'Use Somebody' was the perfect song for him, but that bandana, those chains and his ad-libbed "yeahs" and "mmmmms" were far from perfection.
But let's not let these things take away from the parts of the show that made me smile (Dia's entire performance), laugh (Beverly's kilt and song predictability) and cry (the touching hug between Blake and Xenia).

Wait, you missed that hug? Or just need to see it again? Ta-dah! You're welcome.

Follow Maggie on Twitter @TheTVShowGirl

marta12

Good article! Thanks!

____________________________

August 03 2011 at 2:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Julie Phillips

For me, Jared Blake's 2nd audition (Not Ready To Make Nice) is what got me hooked on his voice. Rather than looking for perfection, all I care about is whether or not I enjoy the vocals and the perfomance. By the time we got to the week where he sang Use Somebody, I was already looking forward to seeing him in concert someday. In my opinion, the only reason people compare Jared to Daughtry is the fact that they're both southern and both shave their head.

June 20 2011 at 9:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
offtoworkigo

You forgot about what you didn't want to HEAR again on The Voice. Christina was completely inappropriate when, instead of critiquing a young, male contestant...she told him she wanted to see him with his pants off. Not once. Twice. Can you imagine if Cee Lo, Adam, or Blake had said such a thing to Xenia or Dia? There would have been such an uproar. Not classy at all, Christina.

June 11 2011 at 12:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kamiv Crolin

it took me roughly 13 second to find this post, thanks a ton.

June 10 2011 at 6:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sean

Christina is making an ass of herself on this show. She's mean, crude, and selfish.

I soooo want Dia to win this. She's amazing. And Zenia is fantastic. Jared Blake is awful He's just a Southern Rock Chris Daughtry knock-off.

June 08 2011 at 10:39 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
chermu062843

What I do not want to see again is Christina making those rude remarks. Maybe I am of another generation but she is doing herself no favor.

June 08 2011 at 6:23 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
star

For my money "The Voice" is doing Christina NO favors. I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and say she's been directed to banter with the male judges -- unfortunately she's coming off like the very last bitch. Not FUNNY, Christina! She needs to re-hire her "Burlesque" stylist and script writer.

June 08 2011 at 4:34 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
big1nfla

the scariest part is Christina is actually a victim of a horrible industrial accident and was totally bottomless

June 08 2011 at 4:12 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply