October 25, 2014

Ice-T Signs Two-Year Deal With 'Law & Order: SVU'

by Chris Harnick, posted Jun 10th 2011 10:45AM
Ice-TChristopher Meloni may have left the Special Victims Unit, but Ice-T is sticking around 'Law & Order: SVU' for at least two more years.

The rapper/actor/reality star broke the news on Twitter.

"I've just locked in my new SVU deal," he tweeted. "So I'll officially be back for the next 2 years at least. DONE."

Meloni, known to many as Detective Elliot Stabler, did not renew his contract for the upcoming 13th season. Mariska Hargitay, who plays Stabler's partner Detective Olivia Benson, has signed on for 13 episodes. Her character will move to a supervisor role within the police force.

Following Hargitay's new deal, speculation arose over who would step into the detective shoes. Jennifer Love Hewitt was the rumored front-runner.

However, nobody has signed on yet, according to Ice.

"At this moment no one else is locked as new members of the show," he tweeted.

Ice can be seen alongside his wife Coco in his new reality series 'Ice Loves Coco,' when it premieres Sun., June 12 at 10:30PM on E!.

Tell us: Are you happy Ice-T will be staying on 'Law & Order: SVU'?

casskaela

Yeah!! Thought with his new reality show he might be leaving.

June 13 2011 at 8:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

Would love to see name players like Jimmy Smits & Holly Hunter step into the roles. But will really miss Chris & Mariska together. They were strong together, and only people like Jimmy & Holly could realisticly make it continue to work.

June 13 2011 at 12:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

I would love to see name players like Jimmy Smits & Holly Hunter join L&O SVU. But I will really miss Chris & Mariska together.

June 13 2011 at 12:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
joyce

TIME FOR DET. MIKE LOGAN TO REJOIN THE L&O GROUP

June 12 2011 at 9:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jmweddm6

well maybe it was time for mr meloni to leave as for ice t good for him to stick aroung for 2 yers, hes good for the show , so is mariska good for her , as for jlh don,t know i never recalled her playing a cop befor , she,ll have to woman up on this one , good luck .

June 12 2011 at 8:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JANET

I am VERY happy "ICE" stayed with the show. He brings the sexy in although Chris Meloni was convinced he did!
"ICE" gives the impression he has done this in another life. As far as the woman..JLH I don't think so...not a strong enough woman. How about Alicia Coppola or bring Angie Harmon back to the L&O family. Ithink Cynthia Rhodes is an excellent actress so is Joanna Garcia. I also like Eva LaRue or I LOVE Sofia Milos. Sofia is STRONG, sexy and tough as nails. These are some ladies who could play a partner on L&O and not take over the show. They would be strong enough to certainly bring their own fans to the show and revive a show that has perhaps hit a soft patch.

June 12 2011 at 8:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joan

I for one am glad that Ice-T is staying on SVU. Stabler's role has been exhausted in recent years due to poor script writing. No one on the police force in NY would ever have gotten away with his behavior and still remain on the job. (16 years personal experience). Benson is done also if she utters the word "rape" one more time I think my TV would explode. This show is in desperate need of new lead actors. Leave Munch and Fin as partners and Cragen as Capt. and take it from there.

June 12 2011 at 8:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
marjoriepw3

Yes. I think Ice-T play s a good part on the program and glad that he is remaining. Sorry that Stabler
is pulling out.

June 12 2011 at 8:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Beautiful !!

Love all three characters, Chris will be missed. He played a "real" person with all the flaws that come with a difficult job. I can't imagine staying interested in the show with him gone. Also, JLH is not cop material. She will not be a good addition to the show. A show like this needs someone with edge, not sad eyes.

June 12 2011 at 8:00 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
franabana

I love IceT so so glad hes staying on SVU, wish Chris Meloni would reconsider, it won't be the same without him.

June 12 2011 at 7:46 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply