October 21, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

'So You Think You Can Dance' Top 20 Dancers Take the Stage (VIDEO)

by Mike Moody, posted Jun 10th 2011 2:47AM
sytycd top 20The mood was noticeably cheerier than it was on Wednesday as the Top 20 dancers took the stage on the set of 'So You Think You Can Dance' (Thu., 8PM ET on FOX).

The showcase performance marked the first time these leading contestants have danced together as a crowd-pleasing unit in front of a live studio audience. And while the show wasn't broadcast live, the dancers' energy, enthusiasm and will to please made the performance feel almost as exciting as an "anything goes" live broadcast.

The judges chose 10 girls and 10 guys to vie for the title of America's favorite dancer during a night that was filled with genre-hopping routines, upsets, surprises, and, of course, sparkle-motion!

On Tuesday, the finalists will perform in front of a large billboard on the Sunset Strip as part of a daylong event to promote the live performances and results episodes of the Fox dancing competition.

Roll call time! Here are your new Top 20 'SYTYCD' dancers:

Missy, 19, Studio City, Calif.: Jazz
Nick, 19, Franklin, Wisc.: Tap
Ryan, 19, Morgan Hill, Calif.: Contemporary
Marko, Jazz, 22, Canoga Park, Calif.: Jazz
Clarice, 19, Whittier, Calif.: Jazz

King Shit

After seeing Alex Wong doing so well last year until he was knocked out of the season with a leg injury I was hoping to see another Ballet Dancer or two make the top 20 again this year. Didn't happen though. That is sad. It really looked like Alex was on his way to win it and I wanted to see if that ingenuity of his is something that runs prevalent to that genre or if that was just him. Maybe next year.

June 11 2011 at 7:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pawsvacationcare

Because we have the show Dancing With the "Stars" which is only ballroom, SYTYCD could lose ballroom or as I call it, Bore-room - and lose Mary Murphy with it!

June 10 2011 at 1:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pawsvacationcare

Where is Mia Michaels? Why is Mary Murphy - the most annoying voice since Sarah Palin - a judge? Who is the new judge with the awful facelift which made made her face so it cannot move and big fake lips? Why return tap dancing - it is so boring. And why, out of all the contestants, give a spot to the sister who won last year - who looks and dances exacly like she does? Other than that, the dancers appear to be excellent - I just wish there was about 90% less talking, obligatory crying and Mary Murphy's obnoxious comments and voice and "Hot Tamale Train,", etc. and Nigel's insisting that everyone have a "personality." Just Shut Up and Dance!

June 10 2011 at 1:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
drday1

Last night's show was without a doubt the best SYTYCD episode I remember in all the past seasons. They have a huge hit on their hands this year. The quality of the dancers, the music choices, the judges seemed genuinely proud of their choices and plus getting to see what a gem Debbie Allen is again. Hopefully she will be on often. The Producers have made it must watch TV this season. The two hours last night seemed more like 15 minutes of jammed packed entertainment. The way the small groups were showcased in their own specialties was brilliant.
Even the way the ball room dancer had her own spot was very uniquely wonderful. I wish it were going to be on three nights a week. I hope they publish the music choices each week online. The choices did not miss a beat last night. It's very uplifting to see such talent.

June 10 2011 at 12:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
smartazzchick

I liked all of the judges choices except for that woman from Russia. First I think she's too old for the show and I think the only reason she got on was because of Mary Murphy. America, it's up to you - lets get her off the first week

June 10 2011 at 12:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to smartazzchick's comment
izzybee

are you referring to the ballroom dancer? did you not see that amazingly wonderful dance routine she did with pasha? she obviously has great talent, seeing as how she won 10 time world champion. I am sure she had more reasons for being on the top 20, not just mary murphy.

June 10 2011 at 12:37 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Sultry

OMG! Every year the dancers get better. These kids are smoking hot..Hot..HOT! Of course a storm rolled in my area and direct TV being affected by any cloud it seems that gets in front of the satellite, I missed what happen with Natalie. Somebody please tell me if she was to sick to continue, or she just didn't make the cut?

June 10 2011 at 12:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Sultry's comment
smartazzchick

They gave her a pass on doing the contemporary but then cut her but took her sister. I thought it would have been interesting to see someone on the show that isn't a size 0 for a change but, maybe she'll be back next year. I hope she does try again

June 10 2011 at 12:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to smartazzchick's comment
Sultry

Thank you Smartazzchic for the answer. I really was looking forward to seeing Natalie. She reminded me of Benjies partner. She to was heavy set yet very much in control of her body, I hope Natalie comes back, I was impressed, and that is not easy to do, When I saw her leap into the air like she was all of 90lbs. I think if she does come back she just might win.

June 11 2011 at 4:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down
Patricia

Now that Mary Murphy is back as a judge, I am skipping this season. Her low class screaming while judging is just so disgusting. She ruins the show. Can't understand them having her back.

June 10 2011 at 12:13 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Patricia's comment
pawsvacationcare

I agree. She is insufferable and just screeches cliches because she really does not know anything about dance. I have to tape the show and then speed through her screeching!

June 10 2011 at 1:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Charity

Love this season so far! The men's skit with all the doors was amazing!

June 10 2011 at 10:46 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
what up dawg!?

can't wait for this season to start ....I heart this show!!!!! Love it because they showcase all styles of dancing!!!!

June 10 2011 at 10:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
april

I do not like this show, alot of shows are being canned.. why can' t this be one of'em? seriously it's something people need to think about.. why is it.. all the BAD shows stay on & all the GOOD shows get taken off the air?

June 10 2011 at 9:51 AM Report abuse -4 rate up rate down Reply