September 14, 2014

Tracy Morgan Apologizes for Homophobic Rant

by PopEater Staff, posted Jun 10th 2011 1:00PM
Tracy MorganAfter Tracy Morgan's latest standup gig went too far -- the actor went on a homophobic rant and called it comedy -- Morgan is copping to his controversial comments and issued an apology through his representative to The Huffington Post.

"I want to apologize to my fans and the gay & lesbian community for my choice of words at my recent stand-up act in Nashville," Morgan said. "I'm not a hateful person and don't condone any kind of violence against others. While I am an equal opportunity jokester, and my friends know what is in my heart, even in a comedy club this clearly went too far and was not funny in any context."

The alleged rant in question was first reported by a Facebook user, Kevin Rogers, who attended Morgan's standup show last week: "He said if his son that was gay he better come home and talk to him like a man and not [he mimicked a gay, high pitched voice] or he would pull out a knife and stab that little N (one word I refuse to use) to death," Rogers wrote.

Before Morgan's apology GLAAD's president, Jarrett Barrios, was the first to speak out against Morgan's anti-gay 'jokes': "We call on him to remove this violently anti-gay remarks from his show and send a strong message that anti-gay violence is not something to joke about," he said, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Although the comments do not seem entirely out of left field for the consistently controversial comedian, Morgan has caused quite a stir in the twittersphere. His '30 Rock' co-star, Alec Baldwin, even caught wind of the offensive rant, although his reaction was a little more bating than biting.

"Oh that Tracy," he tweeted.

Morgan better start writing -- he's got some empty stage time to fill.

renman103

for a group of people ,who cant reproduce,theres seems to be an awful lot of homos around

June 12 2011 at 7:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GOBGOTZ

Is he supposed to be funny? I guess I don't get it.

June 12 2011 at 5:46 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
PATRICK

SPEAKING of THIN-SKIN, , , How's that Foreskin vote thing working out for you two-faced Qu___s? rofl

June 12 2011 at 5:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to PATRICK's comment
GOBGOTZ

WTF are two-faced Qu_s?

June 12 2011 at 5:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dws51564

Every time I see one of these so called journalist demure on the word ****** it reminds me of the Harry Potter movies and the characters not saying Voldemort. Yes we know it's a word that has been used in the past for a detrimental purpose but really I think we can handle the big bad adult words. I don't understand why people have become more sensitive to this word than a rant including a litany of cursing. Now the whole gay thing and violence, yes a little over the top but we also should understand it's a comedian not the church or the Republicans.

June 12 2011 at 5:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
NAOMI

I guess what I don't understand is how a "joke" about gays is any different than a joke about Jews, Blacks, Polish - you get the point. Everyone is cracking "jokes" that can offend someone. Let's get off our politically correct soap boxes and just let it roll. We all have jokes that have a fill in the blank - a blonde walked into... a jew walked into... a mexican walked into...

June 12 2011 at 5:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to NAOMI's comment
tuscervantes

When is it funny to stabbed someone?

June 13 2011 at 1:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

Fire him like others that have done the same thing.

June 12 2011 at 5:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
stenokat

Because you're black and appologize you think that makes it okay now? HA! Unbelieveable!

June 12 2011 at 4:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
William Webber

I guess a Dude named Tracy has a lot to be bitter at. These :Rant and Apologize" stunts are for the very low of lows (I only knew the guy as host of a Scare you show ) who want thier 20 minutes of name in the news

June 12 2011 at 3:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kck9284

It's a comedic sketch. I've heard black comediens say much worse things about a group of people (mainly white people) and I was never offended. You guys sound WAY too thin skinned if you ask me.

June 12 2011 at 3:55 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
sligerj

WHAT A SORRY PIECE OF Sh!T ! , THIS CRACK HEAD DOESN'T NEED TO BE TALKING ABOUT ANYBODY. HE IS SO TALENTLESS AND UNFUNNY THAT IT MAKES ME LAUGH .

June 12 2011 at 3:49 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply