September 20, 2014

'The Killing' Gets a Second Season from AMC

by Maureen Ryan, posted Jun 13th 2011 3:45PM
AMC has renewed 'The Killing,' which is something of a surprise.

The Deadline post that broke the news takes note of the critical acclaim the drama has received, but in recent weeks that initially positive critical reception has largely drained away as the show has squandered its momentum and meandered through a series of hit-or-miss subplots.

However 'The Killing' had one thing going for it that the late, lamented 'Rubicon' did not -- a fairly steady audience that stuck with the show.

There's no word yet on whether the show's current creative team will be back for season 2, whether the second season will follow the same detectives or even be set in the same city. If I receive a press release from AMC that clarifies these points, I'll add it to this post.

Update: I've confirmed that executive producer and showrunner Veena Sud will be back for the show's second season, and as for season 2's setting and cast, those details have yet to be worked out at this point.

I've been reviewing the first season of 'The Killing' here, and Ryan McGee and I talked about the season so far on this podcast. We both agreed that, if the show were to continue, the show would need some major creative retooling in its second season.

In essence, my thinking is, if the show is going to bill itself as a cop show that doesn't catch bad guys every hour but allows us to dwell on the characters' lives, it's got to do a much better job of letting us get to know those characters. The pace has been glacial in terms of getting to know the lead characters deeply, and the murder case has also suffered from a frustrating stop-start pace. I certainly wouldn't mind if Mireille Enos and Joel Kinnaman stuck around -- the show's lead detective duo, Kinnaman in particular, have provided the main reason to keep tuning in week after week.

It's worth noting that the Danish series 'Forbryldelsen,' which 'The Killing' is based on, carried over the lead female detective from the first season to the next, though showrunner Veena Sud has said she won't necessarily follow the original when it came to creative decisions.

If the show does continue, as I said, I think it needs to be approached a whole new way from a writing perspective. The show can keep the buckets of rain, the detectives and the atmosphere, but many other things need to be tightened up, in my opinion.

What do you think? Do you think it needs retooling for season 2 or is it fine as it is?

Follow @MoRyan on Twitter.

fifty

This show is terriffic!!! I love the pace and character development. The two leads are a must, though, and am perturbed at the thought of losing those characters. Big question!!!! When does the next season begin?

October 30 2011 at 1:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mireille

I started watching the show because I saw my name listed in the characters and I wanted to see what she looked like. I never stoped watching it. I am so glad they are bringing it back . I have lost alot of shows this season so I am happy, this one will hang around for a while longer.

September 06 2011 at 5:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amanda

I really like this show, and I am not into tv that much., I hope they have a season 2., can't keep us hanging, can they?

July 04 2011 at 2:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sheila

The Killing has the same intensity that Rubicon did and the pace of the show is what makes it so realistic. I am completely drawn into every character - the acting is awesome. The development of the relationship of Linden and Holder is spot on. If they were to change it then it will become like any other show. I think The Killing is awesome just the way it is.

June 24 2011 at 8:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dixiedavis35611

When does the second season begin?

June 19 2011 at 11:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dixiedavis35611

Please don't take this show off

June 19 2011 at 11:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
big1nfla

Three words for improving season two: James Badge Dale

June 14 2011 at 10:11 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
qhnf

Great show, it's a mini movie! Better than over half the crap I end up renting from Netflix! Props to AMC for hanging strong!

June 13 2011 at 10:13 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Dexter Morgan

All the ADD / no attention span viewers, used to their lame hour dramas, on the lame networks, that WRAP every thing up in an hour.......Amuse me......
This is a 13 episode serial drama...takes attention span and attention to detail to make it more realistic.....

If that's a problem for you , stick to watching your network junk like NCIS- CSI-Southland- Blue Bloods etc....the Serials like this show and Dexter, et al.... are way too advanced for the ADD crowd....

June 13 2011 at 9:49 PM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Dexter Morgan's comment
Jacob

So you disagree with the points Maureen has made in her recaps over the course of the season on why the show has failed to fulfill its promise? Would you care to explain why you think she is wrong in her descriptions of the show's poor pacing?

June 14 2011 at 11:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Philip

The only thing I really like about the show is Mireille Enos and Joel Kinnaman. If the show continues it has to be about the police work, not every character's side issue.

June 13 2011 at 8:00 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply