September 2, 2014

Talking TV Podcast (Pondcast?) Talks 'Doctor Who'

by Maureen Ryan, posted Jun 14th 2011 11:30AM
A one-show podcast this time: Ryan McGee and I talk all 'Doctor Who,' all the time (well, not all the time -- we clocked in at just under an hour this week).

We talk about the new season of 'Who' as a whole, we gab about the River Song revelation and 'A Good Man Goes to War' in detail, and we speculate about what may be next for Rory, Amy and the Doctor.

Did we mention that Rory is awesome? We also love the Victorian lizard lady and her plucky companion, who should get their own spinoff now (which someone on Twitter dubbed 'Cagney and Scaly'). In any event, it was a great end to an uneven season, all of which we discuss in the 'Who'-cast.

We're going to try to fit in a podcast later in the week talking about 'Falling Skies' and BBC America's 'Outcasts' and possibly 'The Voice.'

One final note about the 'Doctor Who' podcast, because I've gotten questions/clarifications about this on Twitter: We talk about the ganger/Flesh Amy in the podcast, and in case there's any confusion, we understood that the Amy on the TARDIS was the "real" Amy but a Flesh version of her. The main point we were trying to communicate in that discussion was that the Flesh/ganger story had been so poorly handled that that revelation turned out to be an anti-climactic one, if not an actively annoying one. We intellectually understand who that Amy was, but the sloppy, frustrating two hours it took to get there muted whatever impact that surprise could have had.

In any event, you can grab the podcast from iTunes (where you can also subscribe) or you can get the 'Doctor Who' discussion from the Talking TV home site.

Full archives of every 'Talking TV' podcast are available here. The entire 'Talking TV' archives are also available on iTunes. Our RSS feed is here.

Follow @MoRyan on Twitter.

buster44

Great podcast! I really enjoyed it! The biggest question I had after the episode ended was: How did River end up living her life backwards? I have a nagging feeling that it will prove to be important, but how???? Gives me a time paradox headache trying to figure it all out.....

June 14 2011 at 8:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to buster44's comment
moryan

Buster44, that's a great question. Since River arrived on the show, I've never question *why* she's living her life backward, in relation to the Doctor, anyway. Hmmm?!

June 14 2011 at 10:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Craig Ranapia

River isn't "living her life backwards"; she's living her life the same old way as everyone else. The Doctor, however, is bouncing around the universe in a machine that can go anywhere in time and space -- and in the series four two-parter that introduced River he was as surprised as anyone that a woman he'd never laid eyes on before (from his perspective) knew an awful lot about him. My question is: Why doesn't this happen more often?

June 15 2011 at 2:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Craig Ranapia's comment
buster44

Well.....maybe.... But the show has given me the definite impression that her encounters with the Doctor run absolutely in reverse order to his with her, and the mechanics and implications of that boggle my mind more than anything I've ever encountered in the Who-verse. Completely opposite personal timelines are different from the usual "bouncing around," I think. Though now that I'm thinking about it, I see what you mean: she's not living backwards, but remembering backwards....

Perhaps part of the how and why has to do with the Time Lord dna she carries? Does that allow her to bounce backward while the Doctor is bouncing forward? My head hurts! ;)

June 15 2011 at 3:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down
melanism

Even though it didn't necessarily tie into the season storyline, how could you look back on the season without talking about the great Neil Gaiman-penned episode, "The Doctor's Wife?"

June 14 2011 at 5:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to melanism's comment
moryan

we did mention liking it. We just didn't go into it as much as I'd thought we would. One of those things, I guess. Sorry!

June 14 2011 at 10:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply