October 2, 2014

'Days of Our Lives' Readies Gay Storyline

by Chris Harnick, posted Jun 17th 2011 3:30PM
Freddie Smith'Days of Our Lives' is prepping for its first gay storyline.

According to Entertainment Weekly, '90210' actor Freddie Smith will play Sonny, a character who returns home to his family. Which 'Days' family? Those details are being kept under wraps.

"He is the center of attention kind of guy but in a good way," Smith told EW. "He's very confident and mature, he's traveled the world and is very open-minded. I'm very excited to portray him."

The character Smith will be falling for is also being kept secret, and the actor said it could be a new character or an existing Salem resident.

"I think it will be interesting to see how people respond to it," he said. "I truly care about the whole thing. There's been a lot of controversy about this and for me to be able to a part of it, to be able to change people and make a difference ... I'm really excited to play a character with that much pull."

This isn't the first gay relationship on a soap -- far from it. 'All My Children,' for example, had a lesbian wedding, and in 2006 'As The World Turns' made headlines for Luke's (Van Hansis) coming out and subsequent relationships.

Tell us: Are you looking forward to the new 'Days of Our Lives' storyline?

Carolyn Bailey

Carolyn
I have watched Days for quiet some time and I am disappointed that Will has turned gay!! If they have to play gay, I think there should be no kissing. That is disgusting. It makes me want to stop watching!!! Are they really gay?

December 28 2012 at 1:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
oldsmoky11

I have watched this soap since it began and I just don't understand why every soap has to have a gay couple in it, we remember when Will was born for heavens sake and now Gabby is going to have his baby because he hadn't decided whether he was gay or not...I have no contempt toward gay folks, I just think they should have their own show, that way people would know what they are watching, instead of changing an entire profile of a very old soap opera....call me names if you want but I wouldn't push my love affair with another person of the same sex on a TV audience....I will stop watching after 47 years....now who's the wrong one?? Give us a break

November 14 2012 at 11:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tglenn1972

I am so tired of this gay and lesbian stuff. It is gross. Why make Will gay? No one wants to see that!!!

September 24 2012 at 5:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom Adler

And Yes very happy with the storline. Only interesting fun characters on the show.

February 05 2012 at 10:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom Adler

Wow where did all you people come from? Sorry Gay people are not a fad it is reality. I feel bad for any kid that has you as a parent with your beliefs and values. Way to go commenters you just put a nail in your own kids coffin. It is Our Orientation not lifestyle. Educate yourself and act like Jesus would have because he would have treated a Gay Person with much more love and kindness than anyone on this post.

February 05 2012 at 10:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
perronerm

NOOOOOOOOOO!! Not happy with the gay storyline. Why do they need to make Will gay?? C'mon....DOOL is making a big mistake. I no longer want to watch due to this storyline. Let Will & Gabby have a relationship. Can there be a television program on tv without the gay couple?? Geez...

December 01 2011 at 5:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lcaravaglio

No, not happy about it. I watch DOL because it is one of the most conservative soaps. I like the occasional mention of church or God in the show. Why do soaps feel like the have to be politically correct? It is a soap for goodness sakes!!! Mostly watched by women. Why do we want to see two men romancing each other? Really??? I am missing something. I, for one, will stop watching it if it is Will for sure and even if they pursue the whole gay line. I know some of the actors on the soap are really gay in real life, but this is fantasy. If I wanted reality tv, I would watch it instead of DOL.

September 14 2011 at 11:28 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
MikeAP

I've watched various soaps off and on since I was a kid years ago. I think it's fantastic that they're adding a gay character and storyline to the show! I just hope they do it right and treat Sonny (and whoever he meets) like the straight characters are portrayed. I can't believe that people are equating a gay storyline with not morals! And you're watching a soap opera....where everyone bedhops, marries a dozen times, cheats, steals, murders, kidnaps, drugs, and who knows what all else? It's pretty selective "morality" to single out just a gay character. It's part of life. There is nothing wrong with it. And used correctly, it could offer some plot twists that couldn't be done before.

August 02 2011 at 5:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lasha Spencer

As a long-term DOOL viewer (30+ years), who has not been watching as of late because I am really sick of the whole fake Rafe storyline, the gay Will and Sonny plot is dragging me back in. I love Sonny and today's episode he kicked butt with that bigot - as did Victor - so yeah to DOOL for doing this. This is one fan who will be watching.

July 26 2011 at 6:28 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
sandisassy

why make hi gay, he can play a great part without being gay!! No, I'm not happy with that as a new storyline

July 06 2011 at 1:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply