October 23, 2014

'Glee' Original Characters to Graduate McKinley High in 2012, New Ones Will be Added

by Catherine Lawson, posted Jun 20th 2011 7:00AM
'Glee' castRachel, Finn, Quinn and Puck fans: Brace yourselves. It will soon be time to say farewell to the original McKinley High kids as 'Glee' boss Ryan Murphy confirmed that the characters who were juniors last season will graduate in May 2012.

Speaking on Ryan Seacrest's radio show on Friday, Murphy said that the upcoming Season 3 will be senior year for the original cast.

"I don't think of it in terms of eliminating or replacing. Because I think the thing about this cast is people love them and they are incredibly talented. They've left sort of an indelible mark," he said.

"The thing that I wanted to do and the cast wanted to do, we didn't want to have a show where they were in high school for eight years. We really wanted it to be true to that experience. We thought it would be really cool if we were true to the timeline."

Murphy revealed that Matthew Morrison and Jane Lynch will stay with the show beyond Season 3, with their characters Will Schuester and Sue Sylvester acting as "the male and female lynchpins of the series."

The empty spots will be filled by newbies who'll be seeded into the show throughout next season -- casting calls have already gone out for an "Adele-meets-Susan-Boyle" type among others -- including the winner of spin-off competition show 'The Glee Project,' who'll get a seven-episode story arc in the fall.

Summing up the revolving door policy at 'Glee,' Murphy said "I think the fun thing about the show is it's a celebration of youth and talent and I think that just like with the original cast, I think finding those young unknown people and giving them an opportunity to break into the business and become stars is a really fun and exciting thing and is the spirit of the series."

'Glee' Season 3 is due to premiere in September on Fox.

gleelover!

honestly i agree with how there doing it but its going to be sorta weird the first few episodes so they probably should have some real drama to keep people intrested

July 02 2011 at 6:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
catgamer

I think they should follow the characters into college. That way we don't lose the characters we love.

July 02 2011 at 3:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rachel's Advocate

Just an idea -- they COULD leave some of the main characters (my personal preferences would be Rachel and Finn) on after they graduate. Just because they're not students doesn't mean they can't ASSIST Will Shouster with the Glee Club. My proposed scenario is that Rachel and Finn (and perhaps Puck and Quinn as well) go to a local college, and volunteer their time as assistant coaches of the Glee Club. Whether this proposed idea is the best way of doing it or not, they at least need to find a way to keep Rachel around.... I can't imagine Glee without her!

June 21 2011 at 4:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jenny

It's kinda sad, but I guess it'll be okay. I mean, who wants 2 be in high school 4 eight years?! Not me!!!

June 21 2011 at 6:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mhsden

Stupid waste of air time for such a tired show P/U cancel it

June 21 2011 at 5:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Charles Wild

Will definitely MISS those guys, but I was wondering how the show would last...gosh that is smart - and that is the way life works. Nothing stays the same forever. Maybe they could find creative ways to bring back the favorites from time to time. Let's hope for some GREAT newbies to replace our beloved actors/characters! Good for Ryan!!

June 21 2011 at 3:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jastiffler

Not good.....this will be the death of the show. I mean come'on...if they wanted to make the show more realistic, then why do they go around singing and dancing all time in school!?! Don't think we're tuning in because of the shows realism...

June 21 2011 at 2:57 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to jastiffler's comment
Adryian

just tossing this one out there to you, as it may have escaped your notice, and it obviously has...The show has so much singing and dancing because it is about a GLEE CLUB. If you miss it again, you can Google the definition

July 02 2011 at 12:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
landmarktom2

HOW MANY MORE LESBIANS WILL THIS SHOW FEATURE ???

June 21 2011 at 2:14 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Jon!

Hope there's going to be an actual full-blooded Asian guy who is going to be on the next regular cast.

June 21 2011 at 12:57 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
ohslimgoody

Well they look as though they should be graduating from college anyway. Never watched the show I don't know what all the excitment is about.. have seen previews and turned lol rather watch all worked up LOL.

June 21 2011 at 12:31 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply