October 21, 2014

Who's Replacing Regis Philbin? Ryan Seacrest, Andy Cohen, Mark Consuelos on Short List

by Catherine Lawson, posted Jun 20th 2011 6:10AM
Regis PhilbinEver since Regis Philbin announced his impeding retirement live on-air back in January, speculation's been rife as to who will replace him on 'Live! With Regis and Kelly.'

Now one report says that the morning show's distributors, Disney-ABC Domestic Television, have narrowed the field to just three candidates.

According to 'The Wall Street Journal,' those candidates are: TV hosts Ryan Seacrest ('American Idol') and Andy Cohen ('Watch What Happens Live'), and co-host Kelly Ripa's husband, actor and TV host Mark Consuelos ('All My Children').

In contrast to the 79-year old Philbin, they're all relatively young, with Cohen the oldest at age 43. All three are veterans of hosting live TV, and both Cohen and Consuelos have filled in for Philbin recently.

The 'WSJ' reports that producers plan to reboot 'Live!' once Philbin steps down in November. So who's got the edge?

Seacrest's probably the biggest name of the three, but can he juggle yet another high-profile TV gig with his commitments on 'Idol,' 'E! News,' his production company and his radio show?

Cohen has great onscreen chemistry with Ripa. She's been a guest on his Bravo show several times and they're personal friends. Plus, she's previously mentioned his name as a potential successor to Philbin, so he could be the front-runner.

David Letterman grilled Ripa about the future of 'Live With Regis and Kelly' when she appeared on 'Late Night' in May, and she said both Anderson Cooper and Cohen would be ideal co-anchors. However, when Letterman asked Ripa about her husband as a possible co-host, she said, "I think we would kill each other!" So, the need for domestic harmony may have ruled out Consuelos.

Other names previously linked with the job have included Neil Patrick Harris, Jeff Probst and Tim Gunn. A spokeswoman for Disney-ABC declined to comment, saying "It's ridiculous at this point to be speculating about who will replace him."

marie.mckinney

Maybe Nick Cannon or Howie Mandel.

January 27 2012 at 5:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cheryl Sawyer

The husband wife team sounds good, but would the marriage survive? I loved it when Neil Patrick Harris or Carson Daly was on, the energy was great. Rob Lowe and Jim Parson would be my second choice.

January 06 2012 at 10:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mom

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Ryan Seacrest! I can't stand him. I will stop watching.
What about Carson Daly

December 29 2011 at 10:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
edsk

husband and wife teams are never good.
I loved Howie Mandel and Anderson cooper with Kelly. I suppose they already have a job..............

December 21 2011 at 3:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Debbie

If Ryan Seacrest fills in for Regis,,then the show will be a hit again...Ryan is a great Co-host.....I hope he's the one..I do have to say that I still enjoy the show,,Kelly does a heck of a job...she is funny, and quick with everything that comes her way....I do miss Regis...but life still goes on...Good Job Kelly....

December 21 2011 at 1:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Donald R Clamser

I think Kelly Ripa's husband is the best person to take Regis seat on the show.
My wife and I enjoyed the show the best with them fogether. It was more like a family show.

Don C. from Gordon, Pa

December 21 2011 at 1:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
eyesjoy

I am sorry but I think Neil Patrick Harris I think would be the best "co-host" I like the others but felt the chemistry with Kelly was the best .

December 21 2011 at 12:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stephen

Neil Patrick Harris is wonderful as a co-host. I would also consider; Jim Parsons, aka Sheldon on Big Bang Theory, David Spade and/or Adhir Kaly, both of Rules Of Engagement.

December 21 2011 at 12:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
arrivirechi

Of course it normal for the rating to come down......Its common sense! .....Regis was with the show for many years......However my opinion would be to give to the oppurtunity to an unkown person, a nobody and allow this person to grow with the show........Enough with all the fancy names......

December 21 2011 at 11:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply