April 23, 2014

Bam Margera Is Not Happy With Roger Ebert's Tweets About Ryan Dunn's Death

by Moviefone Staff, posted Jun 21st 2011 2:00PM
Roger Ebert After 'Jackass' star Ryan Dunn's tragic death yesterday morning in a car crash that also took the life of one of his friends, it appears even the most unlikely of celebrities are weighing in on the matter.

In response to the sad news and the image Dunn posted to his Twitter account (which has since been taken down) showing him and two friends sitting around a table with beers at their side just three hours prior to the fatal car crash, Pulitzer Prize-winning film critic Roger Ebert took to his own Twitter account at 3PM yesterday to post the message: "Friends don't let jackasses drink and drive."

As you can probably imagine, that hasn't exactly sat well with everyone, especially those who knew Dunn best.

Hit the jump to see how the Twittersphere responded to Ebert's comments.

Shortly after Ebert's message was posted, celebrity blogger Perez Hilton responded on his website: "We certainly agree that driving after drinking is wrong, we think there's no reason -- especially RIGHT NOW -- that anyone should be pointing fingers or poking fun at a truly tragic situation. Everyone makes mistake, and this is somebody's son. Too soon, Roger."

Later that day after readers began voicing their opinions on the comments section of Hilton's website, Ebert fired back with: "Perez Hilton's readers agree with me and not with Perez about my tweet on Ryan Dunn. He drank, he drove, 2 people died."

Then late last night, Dunn's 'Jackass' co-star Bam Margera chimed in on Twitter as well by saying: "I just lost my best friend, I have been crying hysterical for a full day and piece of sh*t roger ebert has the gall to put in his 2 cents. About a jackass drunk driving his is one, f*ck you! Millions of people are crying right now, shut your fat f*cking mouth!"

The latest update in this back-and-forth has come in form of an explanation and semi-apology from Ebert this morning on his blog:

To begin with, I offer my sympathy to Ryan Dunn's family and friends, and to those of Zachary Hartwell, who also died in the crash. I mean that sincerely. It is tragic to lose a loved one. I also regret that my tweet about the event was considered cruel. It was not intended as cruel. It was intended as true....

What did I mean by that [initial Tweet]? I meant exactly what I wrote. I wasn't calling Ryan Dunn a jackass. In Twitter shorthand, I was referring to his association with "Jackass." I thought that was clear. I note that Bam Margera uses the word "jackass" in the same way in his tweet....

I don't know what happened in this case, and I was probably too quick to tweet. That was unseemly. I do know that nobody has any business driving on a public highway at 110 mph, as some estimated -- or fast enough, anyway, to leave a highway and fly through 40 yards of trees before crashing. That is especially true if the driver has had three shots and three beers. Two people were killed. What if the car had crashed into another car?

Seeing that the police report on Dunn's death hasn't confirmed whether or not alcohol played a role in the crash, along with the fact that it hasn't even been 48 hours since the wreckage was found, it's easy to see why emotions are running high right now.

What do you think: too soon, or Ebert's got a point?

[via The Huffington Post]

MikeS

For those of us who have lost someone we know, it is never too soon. This will not end well for whoever "Bam" is. The fact an iconic wrtier like Ebert is willing to put his reputation behind an anti-drunk driving essage is superb. The F bombs show the (lack of) class that dominates these fools. Let one of them do one percent of the good Ebert has done, then they can pop off with someone paying attention.

June 22 2011 at 3:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to MikeS's comment
General Kenobi

The good he's done? Huh? Get a grip, he's a film reviewer. He reviews the type of crap that the Jackass boys put out. In other words, he makes his living sniffing the farts of people with real talent and grading the scent from 1 to 10... yeah, a real hero.

June 22 2011 at 1:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jamie

I don't understand the "too soon" or the "not right now" sentiment. If alcohol played no role, that's one thing (and it seems unlikely). But the timing of illustrating the dangers of drunk driving, assuming that's what it was, couldn't be more perfect. What better timing then right after happens? It's the perfect timing to warn others, when the story is fresh.

June 22 2011 at 2:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jamie's comment
General Kenobi

Ah yes, when the story is fresh. Nevermind that you don't know the facts for certain, which you even point out. It's much easier to cast aspersions on people that are dead and put their loved ones through the ringer on your hunch. But hey, the story is fresh...

June 22 2011 at 2:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brad456

No ones going to miss a jackass. except another jackass.

June 22 2011 at 1:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shadowracer

This is the problem with communicating without spoken language. Anyone can read anything anyway they like.
Chris Brown had the same issue on twitter this week too.

Bottom line - use twitter for facts, not opinions.

June 22 2011 at 12:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Javanese

Just because you know the guy doesnt make DUI any less wrong.

June 21 2011 at 4:20 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Javanese's comment
General Kenobi

And just because you don't know him doesn't mean anyone has to be a d-bag at this moment... as far as feeling sympathy for him, who asked for that? Nobody said anything about Ryan Dunn, the point is about those he left behind... and is this really the time to jump to conclusions and be insensitive about them? What good does that do? Does condemning this guy within hours of his death really get your point across, or does that get drowned out by how it's been done? You don't know jack about what happened that night, so why condemn this guy right now? All you're doing is making it tough for the people that just lost him... and if he did throw away his life stupidly, that's tragic, certainly, but the people left behind are the ones that have to deal with this, not the guy you think threw away his life. So, all I'm asking is that you jackasses take just a second and think about the people that are actually reading or hearing these things... it's not the person who you think is at fault, so all you're doing with your criticisms at this moment are hurting those that are already hurt. Kudos to you. This discussion is better had in a month when the toxicology results are in and you folks, whether you turn out to be right or not, can make your point, if valid, without being insensitive pricks who think that a tragedy like this is the moment for a "statement"... He was someone's son and plenty of people's friends... think about them, not him when you choose to make these comments.

June 21 2011 at 5:01 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
: Ðan

~ insensitive ? perhaps but Roger Ebert has a point . Basically Dunn killed himself . People who drive drunk get no sympathy from me even if they are a semi-celebrity or a out and out BIG time Hollywood star .

June 21 2011 at 3:13 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Mike S

This seems a lot of discussion about a photo that doesn't exist and the on-line media jumping to conclusions just to use the words Tweet, blogosphere and website in a sentence.

This story is about a group of Hollywood people and Hollywood websites using a tragedy for personal publicity. Please stop, go to a quiet place and say a prayer to God as you understand Him.

Don't drink and drive.

June 21 2011 at 2:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeremy

What I understand from Ebert's tweet is the old saying "friends don't let friends drink and drive" but he put jackass because of the jackass guys. Either way, it's hard not to judge when someone posts a photo of themselves drinking and then wrecking hours later.

June 21 2011 at 2:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kathy

I think Roger Ebert simply spoke the truth. And, Bam Margera, "millions" of people are not crying because an entitled drunk killed himself and someone else as well. It is very sad, but all his own fault.

June 21 2011 at 2:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Kathy's comment
General Kenobi

You think... and that's the point... you don't KNOW... and yet, you and Roger Ebert seem to think you have everything figured out. And rather than simply positing the notion that maybe this was a tragedy that could've been avoided, you folks get pissy and "entitled" and start to think that your commentary has more weight than the death of two individuals... deaths you really know nothing about other than rumor and conjecture. Yet, your entitlement means that you'd rather open your mouth and run it at the expense of the family and friends of those JUST LOST. You don't know what happened or whose fault it was. However, it is definitely your fault that you're being a callous ass.

June 21 2011 at 2:32 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to General Kenobi's comment
mortal athena

Thank you, General Kenobi, for your comments and for having a heart. I check up on several blogs daily and have read similar stories about Dunn elsewhere in the past 24 hours, and some of the comments are pretty disappointing. Most commentors seem to be sane enough in that they're respectful and sympathetic, but others....their words are just appalling. Do these people not know what it's like to lose a loved one? No matter the circumstances of someone's death, most decent human beings would never loudly and smugly criticize the deceased in the middle of their wake or funeral, so why would it be ok to make those same criticisms from behind a computer screen? Everyone is entitled to their opinion, of course, but such comments indicate a severe lack of both empathy and sympathy, an inflated sense of self and a shaky knowledge of manners and social grace on behalf of the commentor. It's upsetting that there are so many people like this out there unleashing their callous attitudes and malicious words in any situation that they deem fit. And apparently the death of two young men in a tragic car accident is totally game. It's sickening. I can't even imagine what the comments would have been like if this was an accidental overdose or suicide or something similar. Whatever the cause of death, it can't be ignored that two young people lost their lives too soon, leaving countless family members and friends mourning the very sudden and truly devastating loss. If these commentors (including Ebert) had any shred of humanity, they would have kept their judgments to themselves and offered a few condolences. Whether or not you like Dunn or his choices, the family and friends he left behind are real people with real emotions who have just suffered a tremendous tragedy and are in a lot of pain. At the very least, they should be shown some respect. Oh and also---just because someone's a celebrity doesn't mean that the rest of the population gets a free pass to pull out a bag full of insults and judgments and criticisms and fire at will, with no consideration for circumstance or innocent bystanders (that's the family and friends...metaphors are fun).

June 21 2011 at 8:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down
mortal athena

One more thing---it always irks me when people step up on their soapboxes and lecture about DUIs. Yes, we all know drinking and driving is bad. It's something that's ingrained in us from a very young age, before we know what alcohol is and what it does. I think we can all agree, "don't drink and drive" is sound advice.

Alas, the world is not perfect and neither are we. Human beings make mistakes. They act impulsively, break rules, make bad decisions and unwittingly revel in self-destruction. We are inherently flawed animals. And I don't know about you, but I can't name one person I know who has never had a glass of wine or a beer or a mild cocktail and gotten behind the wheel less than four hours later. Maybe it's just Jersey, but I know countless people who drank and drove in the past at varying degrees of intoxication. That doesn't make it ok, but I feel like there are many hypocritical people out there lying to themselves in order to invoke their self-righteousness and denounce others. But DUIs don't discriminate---they can happen to anyone. Moms, dads, senior citizens, teachers, lawyers, doctors, college students, politicians, sons, daughters, siblings, alcoholics, social drinkers, once-a-year drinkers, marines, farmers, truck drivers, police officers, and even self-righteous commentors have gotten or could get a DUI. I know that for me, personally, only one glass of wine will bring my BAC above the legal limit (.08 in NJ). While slim, I'm definitely not a tiny girl and I can confidently say that I'm not a lightweight. However, a glass of wine would render me legally incapable of driving. Why? Because the legal limit is pretty easy to surpass. I suspect there are a whole lot of people out there that unwittingly drove drunk at some point in their lives because they had a beer or two with dinner and thought that it would be perfectly safe to drive home because they didn't feel drunk. Supposedly, each drink consumed takes an hour to pass through our systems, so if you have four drinks, you're supposed to wait four hours after the last drink before you are capable to drive. But guess what?! Human beings aren't mass produced---each one is unique and operates differently. So while a dude who had a beer may be fine in an hour, it may take 3 hours to clear the same amount of alcohol out of another person. Anyway, I know I've sufficiently rambled here, so I will save you from more ranting. The point of all this? Chill out with the judgmental remarks---Dunn and his family and friends deserve sympathy and respect no matter what the circumstances of his death were. The world would be a lot better if we treated each other with a little more compassion.

June 21 2011 at 8:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down