October 1, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Sasha and Alexander Move Judges to Tears on 'So You Think You Can Dance' (VIDEO)

by Jason Hughes, posted Jun 23rd 2011 12:39AM
Sasha Mallory & Alexander Fost, 'So You Think You Can Dance'When dance is amazing, it transcends the technique and becomes a thing of emotion. It can move you. The beauty of the level of talent required to be on 'So You Think You Can Dance' (Wed., 8PM ET on FOX) is that you have the talent level required to move beyond the choreography into art.

Whereas many dance shows leave you impressed with their style or technique, 'SYTYCD' often pushes us beyond words. Tonight's judging panel featured the legendary Debbie Reynolds, and she was privileged to witness just such a moment.

The Nappytabs hip-hop routine performed by Sasha Mallory and Alexander Fost moved both Reynolds and Mary Murphy to tears. Napoleon and Tabitha D'umo have proven themselves masters at telling moving stories through movement, and this one touched particularly close to home, dealing with soldiers deployed overseas.

"You were not only asked to come out and dance beautifully, which you did," Reynolds told the pair. "But you had to act and give us a story and make us cry, which you did."

What was your favorite performance of the night?

jazys62

Sasha is a Phenomenal Dancer and I hope she wins it all...

June 25 2011 at 2:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jdonoh4

Get a grip!

June 23 2011 at 1:48 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Anita

In the clip all i saw was some chick rolling around on the floor to sappy music while some guy walked past her. Maybe there was more on the show, but that wasn't dancing. Don't understand all the tears, were the judges on drugs?

June 23 2011 at 1:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
skimsoco76

I too am crying because thats 10 sec. of my life I'll never get back watching that s#it.

June 23 2011 at 1:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Susan

This is so strange- I watch this show faithfully, never missing an episode and I too found myself crying when this couple danced. The strange part is I didn't know why I was crying and it was thoroughly unexpected! I don't know whether it was the song, the story the dancing or a combination of all of the above, but omg- it really hit me!! I am not a huge fan of hip hop, with the possible exception of some of the 'softer' routines, but almost every dance I see on this show is a winner! It is an extremely difficult show to watch this season as far as eliminations go because every single one of these contestants are 'professional' class dancers! My only consolation is in knowing that all of them will have no problem finding work in the profession they love from now on - I was married to a tap dancer for 38 years before his death and one of my biggest regrets is that he didn't live to see the resurgence of entertainment and especially dance that has occurred over the past decade + but hopefully he watches it by my side every week and I know he would absolutely love it! He used to be saddened because he knew how many really talented people in all areas of entertainment that there were, but unfortunately some from the 'bottom of the barrel' seemed to be the only ones we ever saw. Since the advent of all the "talent showcase" programs (I won't name them here because there are so many and we all know what they are!) we are now seeing amazingly talented people that we never would have seen otherwise - such shows give them opportunities they never would have had (in most cases) and for this I am truly happy - these are the ONLY "reality" shows I think should be on TV - the rest should go to the dumpster - especially when REAL people are LITERALLY trying to survive - Americans want to watch some INTENTIONAL 'survival' show???? Thank you for so you think you can dance - my all time favorite show!! Now they must come up with a show like this was in the beginning, a show to give young people with talent, but not yet at the professional level as these are - the lucky 'break' they need and the chance to work with world class choreographers!! Next idea Nigel? My fingers are crossed!

June 23 2011 at 1:15 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
jabaileydc

Too bad the video didn't let you see the performance!

June 23 2011 at 1:14 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Winnie

Rolling around on the floor is not dancing to me.

June 23 2011 at 1:13 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Winnie's comment
christinjm

Neither are high kicks, leaps, and tilts to me. Tricks a dance does not make.

If rolling on the floor expresses something than that is dance!

If standing still expresses, then it is dance as well!

Life is dance. Every day of your life is expression.

Do not doubt what you do not understand. Stretch your boundaries to find acceptance and your own interpretation.

June 23 2011 at 1:32 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
The Commish

Does anyone know the name and original artist of the song they sang? If so email me MCricco@aol.com

June 23 2011 at 1:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cecepalmdale

Does anyone know the name and original artist of the song they sang? If so please email it to me, I have no radio in the car and what kids I have left at home would never appreciate that type of music!
e-mail:
cecepalmdale@aol.com

THANX in advance.

June 23 2011 at 12:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sylvabugg2

I thought it was beautiful. Interpretive dance comes from the heart. It is not just dance, it is personal expression and emotions. Kudos to the two young people. Hope to see much more from them. Wonderful job.

June 23 2011 at 12:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply