July 29, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Florence and the Machine Explain Name, Perform 'Dog Days Are Over' on 'GMA' (VIDEO)

by Nick Zaino, posted Jun 24th 2011 12:05PM
Florence and the Machine on 'Good Morning America'You've probably heard the music of Florence and the Machine, but Friday on 'Good Morning America' (weekdays, 7AM on ABC), Florence Welch explained the origin of the band's name, and introduced the machine herself, before they performed their hit song 'Dog Days Are Over' on GMA's Summer Concert Series.

"It's funny because it kind of started as a private joke between me and Isabella, over here," said Welch, motioning toward her keyboard player, Isabella Summers. "This is Isa Machine, the original Isa Machine. And I was Florence Robot. So the first name for the band was actually Florence Robot/Isa Machine, but that's really long."

The band then kicked into their most recognized single, 'Dog Days Are Over,' which some may recognize from its use on the TV shows 'Glee,' 'Gossip Girl,' 'Community,' and 'Covert Affairs.'

shiloh1388

the story is pretty incoherent. has she done quite a bit of drug rehab???

June 26 2011 at 10:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mikie walker

what is fgybd.are they selling stuff here?oh and her voice is awesome

June 26 2011 at 8:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
musicprodave

This woman can't sing...yikes she would not even make American Idol to Hollywood

June 26 2011 at 8:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BROKEN6STRING

never heard this crap

June 26 2011 at 6:29 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to BROKEN6STRING's comment
AP

If you've never heard it, you have no right to call it crap, or anything else for that matter. Try thinking outside your own safe little box and listen to some stuff you're unfamiliar with and let it actually sink in before you dismiss it as crap. I'm 55 years old and I've found plenty of good music from new artists because unlike YOU...I keep my mind open to new music. And before you start going off on the whole "Music isn't what it was40 years ago" argument...of COURSE it's not. It foesn't need to be. If it was, you'd be complaining how similar it sounded and complain that there's nothing new out there...my suggestion would be for YOU to start work on writing something that's groundbreakinbg and totally different from anything else we've heard before. Can you do it?

June 26 2011 at 7:24 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to AP's comment
E-Dude

We have every right to call it what we want. The music is CRAP! I'm glad you choose to dump money into this screeching pile of noise.

June 26 2011 at 9:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down
cadylady3

i am an old lady compared to most who post on here , but i have to say there is something haunting about this girls voice and i love it , it will be the 1st cd i have bought in years but i will be buying it on my next shopping trip, this music moved me and i haven't been able to say that in a long time it's just my humble opinion

June 26 2011 at 3:12 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to cadylady3's comment
NaMemPhesh

Yes! I wholeheartedly agree. What an amazing and unusual voice.

June 26 2011 at 5:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ifoundyourhat

Just beautiful!!!!!

June 25 2011 at 11:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lawrencefishberg

A giant bore that aol insists on promoting....really an awful act.

June 25 2011 at 3:53 PM Report abuse -4 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to lawrencefishberg's comment
barney

how's that pig you're married to......Bette Midlerbergstein

June 25 2011 at 6:07 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
hopeglimmer

It's a great song and one that caught my interest the first time I heard it on the radio. I did think that Vicci on "The Voice" did a fantastic job with the song. Her song choice brought her one step closer I would have to say. I saw Florence/Machine's video and they do a great job with the intensity of the song.

June 25 2011 at 1:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ooindanight

I like Vicci's version on " The Voice" better....

June 25 2011 at 11:26 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
tibbieman1

"Florence Explains the Machine" Is an even better name for a band.

June 25 2011 at 10:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply