August 29, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Did Detective Goren Get a Proper Resolution on the 'Law and Order: Criminal Intent' Series Finale? (VIDEO)

by Nick Zaino, posted Jun 27th 2011 3:45PM
Vincent D'Onofrio as Detective Goren on 'Law and Order: Criminal Intent' Sunday night's 'Law and Order: Criminal Intent' (Sundays, 9PM on USA) was not only the season finale but the series finale for Detective Goren (Vincent D'Onofrio) and company after ten years of 'Criminal Intent.'

Spoiler alert.

After a season of therapy, it turns out that Goren will keep his job, even if the cameras aren't following him anymore. But will that resolution satisfy the show's fans?

Goren has always been an intense character -- he was once institutionalized undercover to crack a case. His obsession with "the puzzle" was a major driving force on the show, and something explored more directly in sessions with his therapist this season. As his therapist said on Sunday's show, "The job gives you structure, sense of purpose. But you're convinced that it's the only thing that defines you. You think without the puzzle, you don't matter. It's a lie, but it's the only one you've chosen to believe."

The therapist's recommendation will be that Goren keep his job, but that he continue treatment for anger and trust issues. And that marks the end of the season and the series.

So here's our question for you, 'Criminal Intent' fans.

Did you like Sunday's 'Law and Order: Criminal Intent' series finale?
Yes207 (35.9%)
No204 (35.4%)
It was all right166 (28.8%)

nidesola

Of all the L&O, CI was the only one I loved to watch and Goren's character was a great, intense character for me, and I liked his partnership with Eames.

June 29 2011 at 2:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DATABEE17

I appreciate the fact that L&O: CI was left open-ended. Although I'm hoping that NBC, USA and Dick Wolf see fit to resurrect the series, even in limited format, it's reassuring to think that these two very well-developed characters are, in the land of tv fiction, out there doing what they do best.

CI became the best written and acted of the 3-4 L&O series. I will miss it terribly.

June 28 2011 at 1:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
marcqmarc

I wish it would come back next season. Even if we did a few TV movies.

June 27 2011 at 9:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lthrnck68

To like it or hate it, you have to care about it. There hasn't been any L. & O. show on the air that I've cared to watch.

June 27 2011 at 7:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sandee Russo

It ended perfectly. It could come back as a TV show or TV movie. Goren is one of the most interesting TV characters to come around in a while.

June 27 2011 at 6:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JAY

Whether it is truly the finale or not, Bobby Goren will always be one of the most watchable, interesting, enigmatic and 100 more adjectives characters on any TV drama. Vincent did a remarkable job with that character. And he even called Eames "Alex" in the last scene. And smiled. Loved it !

June 27 2011 at 5:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
d2a3v8i3d4

This question has popped up on several sites.To me this episode was designed to not be a finale if by some chance the series gets another season through fan outcry.That said I never saw this series as one that needed a grand send off.We got what we needed and for the characters the beat went on as always.We saw at the end a few moments of both the characters and the actors mutal respect for each other and the show as well as friendship and feeling for each other.(I never saw this as some sort of potential romantic storyline as some have suggested,that would have ruined the dynamics of Eames and Goren).So I'm ok with the end,I do hope for more but really doubt it will happen.Both actors have repeatedly said they'd love to do more but I'd be surprised if it happened.

June 27 2011 at 4:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply