December 21, 2014

Breaking: 'Law & Order: SVU' Books Two New Detectives

by Maggie Furlong, posted Jun 27th 2011 6:00PM
Kelli Giddish & Danny Pino'Law & Order: Special Victims Unit' has already lost Christopher Meloni, and his fellow lead Mariska Hargitay's departure won't be far behind. But we've just learned that NBC has cast two new stars to take the lead.

The new recruits? Kelli Giddish, who starred as U.S. Marshal Annie Frost on last season's short-lived NBC drama 'Chase,' and Danny Pino, who was senior detective Scotty Valens on 'Cold Case' for seven seasons.

We're not yet sure when the two will first appear on the show, or whether or not they'll be acting as lead detectives or trainees, but expect more details soon.

For now, a few thoughts on the news from the head of NBC and 'L&O' bossman Dick Wolf ...

Bob Greenblatt, Chairman of NBC Entertainment said: "Kelli and Danny are two great actors who will join a proven cast headed by Mariska Hargitay as this exceptional series heads into a very promising 13th season."

Executive producer/creator Dick Wolf commented: "I'm very pleased that we have two amazing actors joining the cast. I know this combination will give us the opportunity to explore the world of 'SVU' with new eyes."

Are you excited to see some new faces on 'SVU'? Sound off in the comments.

mad

this is bullshit!!!!!!! i have watched every single episode of law and order svu...... but with out Christopher Meloni and Mariska Hargitay, im never watching it again

August 06 2011 at 1:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
krayfun1

Sorry for the typo: SVU. I also agree with Andrew to move Munch up permanently. He's a kick!

July 18 2011 at 5:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
krayfun1

I'm a devout follower of L & O/ SUV and all the others, since Chris Noth and the late actor with the absolute best one-liners that played his partner. I've loved the performances of Mariska Hargitay and Chris Meloni just as much. They're dynamite together! But I also was a huge follower of Cold Case and felt the same about the two lead actors in that show, so I'm pleased with Danny Pino's entry. As it was with the departure of George Clooney (the main reason I watched) and Julianna Margolis from ER, I've learned to pray for no changes in those that write the scripts. The stories have kept me watching all along to the finales of their final seasons. Season #13 will be terrific with whoever plays each character.

July 18 2011 at 5:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bill

big deal actors come and go,it is the writers that the differance to a show

July 18 2011 at 4:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RandyeLynne

I agree 100000000000000000000% with Paula Gail. I also will no longer watch this show. I Love mariska and chris together. THEY made the show what it is. They are the BEST they could have gotten. Such a shame :( Another dissapointed Viewer

July 18 2011 at 3:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
polaroc41

Sad.

July 09 2011 at 10:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
s4daddy

I will definitely miss the Stabler and Benson partnership. I liked the family elements with Elliott. I only watched Cold Case a few times so I can't say much for Pino, and I liked Kelli in Chase, but to replace Meloni and partially replace Hargitay (I heard she's not totally leaving) is going to be the shows demise. I will be suprised if it last one maybe two more seasons.

July 05 2011 at 10:58 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
ablakerman

Actually, I'm not excited to see either Meloni or Hargitay leave. I would prefer to see more story twist, such as, the episode where the crazy young lab tech turned out to be the killer instead of just a annoying guy trying to hard. Or the episode where the young lost girls returns home or so everyone thought and it turned out she was an imposter or the episode where the couple adopted a young girl and slowly tried to turn her into there lost daughter & the team found the daughter who now grown & being use as " so-called " wife of a crazy man in the woods!!

July 01 2011 at 2:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kathy

O'great another couple of I am soooo beeyooutiful actors. The best thing about SVU is that the actors were believable. These two new ones look like Bimbo and Bimbette.

July 01 2011 at 12:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andrew

Yes, It sounds like two good replacements for SVU...But, We need to promote Capt Kragan to Chief, and move Sgt Munch up permanently

June 30 2011 at 9:19 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply