October 23, 2014

Who Should Replace Steve Carell on 'The Office'?

by Maggie Furlong, posted Jun 28th 2011 8:00AM
Steve Carell, 'The Office'Steve Carell played bumbling, fumbling boss Michael Scott on 'The Office' for seven seasons, but now that Michael has left Dunder Mifflin, who'll take over?

Last season we met Deangelo Vickers, played by Will Ferrell, but he was hardly worthy of inheriting the Scranton branch throne. We also saw Creed get bumped up to acting manager based on seniority, but again, there's no way that's the long-term solution.

In the Season 7 finale, possible replacements were interviewed, including James Spader, Jim Carrey, Will Arnett, Ray Romano and our favorite pick of them all, British comedian Catherine Tate. But will any of them really take the job?

We rounded up a few other smart and funny people for the gig, people we'd love to see eventually win a Dundie -- including two old TV 'Friends,' a sci fi favorite and a fabulously funny female who'd bring inappropriate 'Office' hijinks to a whole new level.

Alan TudykAlan Tudyk
It's about time Alan Tudyk took a big role in a successful show. He's been the best part of so many shows that didn't last long enough, and he can do comedy, drama and everything in between. Yes, we know he's in 'Suburgatory' next season, but I wouldn't mind him dropping that for a visit to Scranton -- a long visit.
-- Mo Ryan

Tate DonovanTate Donovan
Isn't it time Tate Donovan was a bigger star? After stints on 'Damages' and 'The O.C.,' we know he's comfortable on TV, and being in this business for over a quarter of a century will give anyone a sense of humor. Plus he's been trying his hand at directing lately, so he could work both sides of Scranton operations.
-- Maggie Furlong

Wendi McLendon CoveyWendi McClendon-Covey
The 'Reno 911' star deserves to be a household name. Come on, you saw 'Bridesmaids,' right? She's clearly great at bossing people around, so why not put her in charge of the Dunder Mifflin gang?
-- Jean Bentley

Lisa KudrowLisa Kudrow
There's no replicating Michael Scott -- that's why 'The Office' needs a completely different boss, ideally a woman. Lisa Kudrow would inject 'The Office' with much needed new life as the complete opposite of Phoebe Buffay: an awkward, polite hard worker.
-- Chris Harnick

Donal LogueDonal Logue
Donal Logue has been trying to find his TV niche for years, but his shows have a habit of getting prematurely canceled (we miss you, 'Terriers'). Perhaps the answer is to drop him into a show that's already got a solid support system? Before you say Logue doesn't have comedic chops, go rent 'The Tao of Steve' and get back to me in the morning.
-- Alex Moaba

Matthew PerryMatthew Perry
Most people are familiar with Matthew Perry's work as Chandler on 'Friends,' and it's that same dry, self-deprecating humor that could work on 'The Office.' Though he might want to get healthy and work on that pesky substance abuse problem before he tries to helm another popular primetime show ...
-- Chris Jancelewicz

Who do you think is the right man or woman for the job? Share your own casting thoughts in the comments.

Samir Vance

I think John C McGinley could do it. He was the man in Scrubs.

July 22 2011 at 4:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rick

i think that tim allen would be perfect to replace steve carrell as michael scott on the office!

July 06 2011 at 4:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark

Jason Bateman ?

July 04 2011 at 4:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gusgus122

I want to marry Jim Carrey, funny as all get out, good looking, big man, nice teeth and hair, but that's neither here nor there. He is not right for this role; he is not a TV actor. No one I know watches this show and I'm scared it might bring his ratings as an actor down. Truly he's not considering this?! I like Matthew in his new show, hope it makes it. Kudrow either! They have graduated. Who is suggesting these people?

July 03 2011 at 7:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to gusgus122's comment
GregDavid

I guess you've missed all the great TO TV transitions that so many great Movie Actors have made of late, often sweeping the Emmy's in the process, while simultaneously increasing their acting cred in both realms.

Just consider all the great stuff typical Movie Actors are now doing on premium cable shows on HBO and Showtime, all the great stuff being done on AMC, FX and TNT, and even all over network TV. I could list many, many examples, but if you can't come up with a few on your own, then you are TV ignorant, and so hardly worth my reply anyway. Then again, you don't watch the office, so why the hell do you care!

FYI: The Office is Satire, not straight Comedy. Thus, it is like a fine wine. Ergo, it does not appeal to the beer guzzling crowd.

BTW, I hate to mention it, but Steve Carell, just like Jim Carrey, started out as a Movie actor. Though, actually Jim Carrey actually started out on TV, on In Living Color, that awesome Wayans Brothers Show back in the early 90's.

Any who, I guess some still live in the realm of..."There is no comparison between Movie Actors and TV Actors, Never the Twain Shall Meet."

Well, all the evidence is to the contrary and thus the exact opposite be true. Moving between the two genres gives actors far more challenges, exposure, flexibility and the ability to strut their stuff in many different ways (not to mention doing time on stage as well). And if an actor is good, really good, then it doesn't matter where they go to practice their craft, they will shine and forever increase their screen cred, be it silver or LED/Plasma.

July 07 2011 at 3:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BAZO

How about Thomas Lennon from Reno 911. He's already played a boss in that show and was great at it . Think about it

July 03 2011 at 8:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
md8104

Jim Carey? NO! NO! NO! He is tiresome after abt 3 minutes. I prefer Lisa or Matthew..

July 03 2011 at 8:30 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to md8104's comment
GregDavid

NO! NO! NO! Jim Carrey would be gold. He's a first class chameleon that can play just about anything from just normal, to outrageous, to serious, to offbeat ironin and even a bumbling fool, sometimes all in the cery same character. If you don't like him then you just have not viewed anywhere near enough of his very diverse work. Plus, I really think he already has the job anyway.

As to Kudrow and Perry, they are both totally wrong for the office, at least as the bumbling boss. I see no chance in hell of either of them having real chemistry for the kind of off beat subtlety and irony that is The Office. And, as with all all former friends actors, they are sit-com poison (Cougar Town notwithdstanding).

I've seen Perry do some good stuff, esp in Movies and on The West Wing, but he is often far more annoying than funny when doing comedy. As seen on the West Wing et. al., he plays serious far better, but ironic or clueless, not so much. Perry's Latest Show last winter was okay, but I'm glad its over because I can only take so much of him. I did like him opposite Bradley Whitford on Studio 60 on Sunset Strip but, alas, yet another great show that a marginal American Audicence failed to recognize and properly enmbrace.

I'm not a big fan if Lisa Kudrow. I say She is right where she belongs, doing lots of character acting in movies and then her Very Bad Therpist Show on Premium Cable. For me, she's just too weird. Some may like that, but not me. I like more racy and edgy female actors but she instead just annoys me. I'd much rather a Carla Guigina or someone else in the vein.

July 03 2011 at 12:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tony11754

The choice is obvious....the best person to take over Michael Scott's job is.....(drum roll)...Dwight Shrute! He IS the craziest character on the show...even better than Michael. He would be hilarious as the new boss. Why can't the producers see this? I vote for Dwight for Boss!

July 03 2011 at 8:29 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to tony11754's comment
GregDavid

Maybe you kissd it but, They did that for a week. As funny as it was, he was far too out there and, like it or not, The Office tries to exist at least at the edge of reality, and no one in their right mind would ever let a nut case like him be boss, unless that is, he owned the company, and then he would be boss, and if you are like me, you've worked for a few of them in your day. Its bad enough he owns the buidling, let us hope he does not buy the business as well!

July 03 2011 at 12:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to GregDavid's comment
GregDavid

missed it, not kissd it

July 03 2011 at 12:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down
erseme

Kritsen Wiig would be hilarious!!! Her brilliant ability to create unique characters is just what the show needs!!!

July 03 2011 at 8:14 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Shevi Arnold

I thought Catherine Tate's interview on the last episode of The Office was brilliant. It should definitely be her. The crazy things she said could each make wonderful episodes. The only way to fill Carell's shoes is with someone who is his Improv equal, and that's Catherine Tate. The only one who fits that category on your list is Lisa Kudrow, but not by playing meek and mild.

July 03 2011 at 8:12 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Shevi Arnold's comment
GregDavid

I so have to go back and re-watch the season finale. I just cannot for the life of me remember Cathrine Tate's part. The rest of them are clear as day to me, but not that. I do like the Kristen Whig suggestion above. That could be good.

July 03 2011 at 12:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marianne Nyberg

Matthew Perry would be fantastic in the part. Look at his recently short lived show, he was the perfect boss in that and would be perfect to replace Michael.

July 03 2011 at 8:08 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Marianne Nyberg's comment
GregDavid

I so disagree. I thought he was terrible on that show, hence it being cancelled. There was some good eye candy and many great actors doing lots of great stuff but the overall premise was kinda stupid and Perry, at the center of it all, was just all wrong!

July 03 2011 at 12:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply