December 19, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Gene Simmons Breaks Down at His Father's Grave on 'Family Jewels' (VIDEO)

by Jason Hughes, posted Jun 29th 2011 2:30AM
'Gene Simmons Family Jewels'This week, Shannon Tweed set up a very special surprise on 'Gene Simmons Family Jewels' (Tue., 10PM ET on A&E). She took Simmons and their son back to his home country of Israel, a place he hadn't been to since he was seven years old.

While there, they got a chance to visit his father's grave, which brought up a whole world of regret for Simmons. Not only had he never visited his father -- though he did send him money -- he barely knew anything about him or the rest of his family.

Simmons broke down in tears as a letter his father had written to him was read at the graveside, thanking him for the money he'd sent and complimenting his children and "woman." He said of Tweed that she must be "one of the most beautiful in the world."

"I was so stupid," Simmons lamented. "I [don't] know why I didn't go see him before he died."

It's a moment of reflection for Simmons, and probably something the family agreed to keep in the show as a small life lesson for the rest of us. Don't let time slip away from you like Gene did, because then all you've left is regret instead of great memories of time spent with loved ones.

gwat695300

This season has been kind of deep so far. I don't think this was staged. I've watched this show for years and am compelled to write now...I truly think it is one of those milestone moments for Chaim.

June 30 2011 at 12:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mkultra776

Oh BOO HOO! Go have another affair Gene!

June 29 2011 at 4:01 PM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to mkultra776's comment
CMU91209

what does that have to do with his father? and if you watched the show at all lately then you would see that he is trying to change for Shannon and even said that he would do anything for her. he is trying at least.

June 29 2011 at 4:27 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
bestbunny10

I wish my son would realize that we are losing so many precious moments....

June 29 2011 at 2:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
echurchboats

The 'god of thunder' is only human.

June 29 2011 at 1:29 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Sylvia

My condolences Mr Simmons. Don't be hard on yourself. I'm sure you learned your lesson. Life can be unfair at times but things do happen when we least expect it and you must learn not to take life for granted. God Bless you Mr Simmons and your beautiful family. oxo

June 29 2011 at 1:26 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
superbombastik

This is staged hype. Some of the emotion may be real, but where was the need for all of this? He didn't just die.
This whole pandering to "find yourself" and reconnect is unwatchable. Gene is THE "godfather of rock", regardless
of his age. Shannon's done nothing in her life of value without him.
I guess watching his ***** complain about his job, but then gleefully dropping 28,000 dollars on a couch just
wasn't bringing in the ratings.

June 29 2011 at 1:23 PM Report abuse -4 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to superbombastik's comment
CMU91209

Shannon is a wonderful woman who loves Gene unconditionally and is not just in it for the money. The need of this show and this episode in particular was to show us the real man he is and that he has emotions, and it was to get him to know his family. So, before you bash this show and Gene's partner, think before you post.

June 29 2011 at 2:04 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
glencove

I am repulsed by the moronic bloggers who are so jaded they cannot appreciate true emotions, and are so full of hate. I especially detest the anti-semitic comments. Whoever you are, like Mickey-Mike you need counseling and some spiritual guidance.

June 29 2011 at 1:22 PM Report abuse +6 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to glencove's comment
wesdik

Isn't that the truth! it makes you wonder if some of these folks are sociopaths...

June 29 2011 at 5:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
paper7559

I'm curious as to why Gene didn't ever go see his father. Did they not get along? It's not like he couldn't AFFORD to go home all these years.

June 29 2011 at 1:21 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to paper7559's comment
CMU91209

He sent money to his father to make sure there was a roof over his head, but after being abandoned by his father I think it would be hard for him to go see him. Obviously he regrets not seeing him after he learned of his family, but I can see where Gene was coming from.

June 29 2011 at 2:00 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Tutu

Just a guess on my part BUT perhaps he did not know his father, or onloy knew him from what others had told him, did not want to upset his mother who the man had walked out on, any number of reasons. Ours not to judge... My own ex had only heard one side of the story about the why the marriage of his parents had broken up when he was 5 years old...his mothers side. I was curious about it all, did some research (pre computer days so it was not as easy as today) and I found the man and learned that most of the crap that the mother had told us was just that...stinky crap. I met the man on my own and heard his side of things and foundout that he indeed wanted to get to know his son and the the girls, even if there was a question that he was the father of one of the three, and so I set up a meeting between him and his son. It took some doing and in the end the results were good as they did get to know each other in the five eyars before the man died. The sisters have never come around...I have decided that it is a female thing on their part as they have all left their husbands and married mutliple times, not to mention the shake ups as well. As far as my mother-in-law...she is in her mid 80s and still spreading manure as she goes on her merry way. The really odd thing about that is that she does not turn to her girls in times of need, but to me who she never did accept into the family as I was too nosy and a trouble maker as I dared to look into her stories and claims.

June 29 2011 at 2:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sylvabugg2

Such a personal moment should not be televised, it's just not right. But the author is right, do not let moments that can be spent with loved ones slip by. Because once they're gone, it's too late, and you're left with nothing but regret.

June 29 2011 at 1:00 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Santa

The man has heart. Thats more than can be said about a lot of you media morons

June 29 2011 at 12:52 PM Report abuse +6 rate up rate down Reply