October 23, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

A Pressure Test Twist Sees Only Two Chefs Facing Elimination on 'MasterChef' (VIDEO)

by Jason Hughes, posted Jun 29th 2011 3:38AM
'MasterChef'Last night, Tracy and Esther were sitting pretty as winners on 'MasterChef' (Tue., 8PM ET on FOX), but winner quickly turned into team leader as the contestants stumbled upon a beach-side challenge.

As team captains, Tracy and Esther were tasked with choosing their teams for the challenge of making sausage sandwiches for a group of 100 bikers.

!!SPOILER ALERT!!

When mealtime came, Tracy's Blue Team was serving up their sandwiches, while Esther's Red Team wasn't ready yet. By the time the challenge was over, the Blue Team had cemented their victory and the Red Team was facing another Pressure Test.

The twist this time, though, was that only two people would be cooking in the Pressure Test, and it was up to Esther to choose which two. She plumped for Max and Christine, and opted out of switching places with one of them when Gordon Ramsay asked. Who would want to do that? Guaranteed safety or a 50/50 shot of going home?

In the end, after cooking three rounds of steaks each, it was Max's turn to say goodbye to 'MasterChef,' which he did graciously ... at least until he thought he was far enough away to really let loose. Are you glad to see this loose cannon go, or will you miss the spice he brought to the show?

wildlllib

Where in the world do you order a steak well done, and it comes to you table still pink in the middle? How can these professional judges except a steak saying is a bit more rare than they expected? Cooking has turned into a joke, with judges cutting a small piece of steak of the edge to determine how its cooked. Cut the steak directly in the middle to test the temperature, as a 4 inch steak needs to be cooked throught the entire steak, not on one side, top, bottom, where ever. Having worked for years in many positions in restaurants, I fear, what someone will call a meal coming out of a kitchen these days. Judges, Ramsey included, stop filling these peoples heads with the idea that they know how to cook, and give them a few nights doing the dishes to see if they have what it takes to work in a restaurant. I'm sending my steak back to the kitchen, to see if they can cook it properly.

July 05 2011 at 9:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Linda Kasko

Emotional basket case, filthy mouth and absolutely digusting cooking ability. If I ordered he steaks in a restaurant they would be going back and back again. (isn't this a cooking show). Maybe they are trying to keep the worst of the worst to keep people turning in but it is thoroughly disappointing. Many did not like Max but I greatly respected his talent at a young age. He could sit around like most young kids from wealthy families doing drugs and "hanging" with his friends but he was actually doing something with his life. I hope Christine drowns in a vat of fat. In the meantime I guess I will just have to hit mute every time I see her face.

July 01 2011 at 10:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Judy

Max is the only contestant I liked. I'm not sure if I'll bother watching any more.

July 01 2011 at 12:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bestbunny10

Withhout doubt Christine should have been sent home., Max was a potential Cordon Blue Chef. Somewhat cocky but at 18 the potential was huge. Christine is absolutely devoid of class. Her language and behavior were horrendous. She caused the red team to lose buy completely messing up the sausages. The elimination should have been between the group leader Esther and Christie with either of them going home. Max should never have been in the elimination challenge. However, after watching last year in disgust with Whitney winning MC anything is possible. David was so superior to Whitney it was a joke. Who wins MC by cooking fried chicken breast and collard greens, drops the chicken breast on the floor and still wins...She can bake but she was one of the weakest cooks on the show., It looks like they are going to repeat the same rubbish again this year. If they do I'm done with this show.

June 29 2011 at 2:02 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Patsy

The Red Team should have won the challenge. The Blue Team only won because, one of the Chef Judges, Joe, talked to the bikers and asked why they didn't like the Blue Team's sausage, and then told the team the reason their food wasn't getting votes was because the topping was too sweet, so they changed their topping, and immediately started getting all the votes. I thought that was unfair because he didn't give the Red Team any feedback from the bikers. I was hoping Christine went be sent home because of the very childish way she was acting at the beginning of the Pressure Challenge. I didn't particularly like Max, but I thought he was a much better chef than her.

June 29 2011 at 1:49 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
General Kenobi

Christine is ghetto trash. If I wasn't so disgusted by her, I'd almost find her riling herself up during the pressure test amusing... but it wasn't, she's just trash.

As for Max... I guess I can see why people dislike him... sort of. He hasn't really done anything other than be honest about what he's seeing. It's pretty clear that everyone else has a chip on their shoulder regarding both his age and how well off his parents are. But Max didn't lose them that challenge. He was doing exactly what Esther told him to do, take a subordinate roll and just cram meat into the grinder.

Some of you want to suggest that Max should've gone home in the episode from the day before because of his creppes... yeah, right. They may have tasted like a butt skin graft, but at least the judges were able to eat his. Some of the others were purely inedible... not to mention that the chick who was going to serve them RAW lamb should've been out for that from the previous non-elimination challenge. As Joe said, that's just unacceptable... But when did Max present something akin to that? Oh, right, he didn't... he's just well off and has a sense of himself, so he must be a douche... ok... whatever. Stick with your ghetto trash girl who alternates between crying and cursing, and doesn't get it right even so.

I think Esther should've been given the chance to participate or not in the pressure test. If she participated, great, if she chose not to, to duck it, then I'd have eliminated her on the spot, not sent her up stairs.

June 29 2011 at 1:27 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Scott

I think they got it wrong, if it was a Pressure Test then Max kept his cool. I would rather have an arrogant kid chef cooking for me than a spaz, who cries one second and curses the next then goes back to panic. I liked Max and was hoping he would win. I hope Gordon puts him on his other show.

June 29 2011 at 1:11 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
Alex!~

Like the show, But Like "Hell's Kitchen" better! Glad to see Max go! Way to young and Arrogant; a real Weasel. Christine needs to toughen up and stop crying and falling to pieces! I Really can't stand Homo Graeme (There's something wrong with his Head) and Joe what's his name is just too mean spirited! Chef Gordon is Very Cool!

June 29 2011 at 12:56 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
shot3x

What a tragedy. Ester is a slease. Although I didn't like Max and his arrogance, Ester was the worthless person in this test and because of her behavior I will be rooting for her failure every episode. Max was not the worst person in that group by far. Letting a sleaseball like Ester make the decision takes away from the credibility of the show.

June 29 2011 at 12:42 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
buildwrite

I really disagree with Max being sent home. He didn't come across arrogant to me; he came across as justifiably confident. He truly has talent, patience and control of himself (as far as the editing goes, in any event). I can't think of any other 18 year old anywhere who could top his talent, regardless of the couple of gaffs he made (the crepes, which must have been awful to get the response they got). But in nearly every other challenge, he was great. The good news, I bet, is that he'll become successful regardless of the outcome of the show. Christine, on the other hand...not so much. Ditto whoever said he/she hopes Alejandro wins.

June 29 2011 at 12:32 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply