July 25, 2014

Ashton Kutcher Gets a Start Date for 'Two and a Half Men,' Charlie Sheen in Talks With 'Mad Men' Producers

by Catherine Lawson, posted Jul 1st 2011 6:00AM
Ashton Kutcher, Jon Cryer and Angus T. JonesThe new post-Sheen era on 'Two and a Half Men' is due to officially start Aug. 1st when new star Ashton Kutcher and the rest of the cast report to work for the first read-through of Kutcher's debut episode.

The hotly anticipated Season 9 premiere episode is due to air Sept. 19th, and it will allegedly see Charlie Sheen's character, Charlie Harper, killed off (almost certainly in a very nasty, very unambiguously final way).

Meanwhile, according to 'The New York Post,' Sheen may be closing in on a deal for a new cable TV sitcom with Lionsgate, the production company behind 'Mad Men.' The new show would debut in the summer or fall of 2012.

A source told the 'Post' that the new sitcom would most likely be a takeoff on Sheen's real tabloid-crazy life -- with Sheen playing a version of himself, an actor with spectacular personal demons.

Because it would air on cable, not network, TV there would be fewer strictures on language and nudity. (And you thought Charlie Harper was risqué ... ) Plus, Sheen would reportedly end up owning a piece of the show himself -- something he wanted but could never get on 'Two and a Half Men.'

Lionsgate has not commented publicly on the rumored talks, but the 'Post' reports that both camps are keen to get a deal signed before the new season of 'Men' premieres.

Sheen was fired from 'Men' back in March after a very public meltdown and protracted slanging match with the show's creator Chuck Lorre. Several high-profile names, including John Stamos and Hugh Grant, were linked with his empty place on the 'Men' couch before Kutcher signed on for one season.

'Men' is a huge money-spinner for CBS and Warner Bros. TV and industry sources predict that the Season 9 opener could be one of the most-watched episodes of a sitcom ever. Details of Kutcher's character and how he will be integrated into the series have been kept tightly under wraps. According to the 'Post' execs are so keen to keep it secret that it could be taped without a live studio audience.

'Two and a Half Men' Season 9 is due to premiere on Monday Sept. 19th, 9PM ET on CBS.

mjgz11

CHARLIE SHEEN IS MY FRIEND HE IS A GREAT GUYS HE LOVES PUGS AND HIS KIDS HE IS A GREAT MAN AS FOR THE SHOW THIS SHOW WILL BE A FLOP NOW AND NO ONE WILL WATCH IT THE SHOW WAS CHARLIE AGAIN IT LIKE WATCHING A ROCKY MOVIE WITH HUGH HEFFNER AS ROCKY IT WHOULD BE A FLOP SO GET THE SHOW BACK AS IT WAS WITH MR ESTIVAEZ

July 19 2011 at 1:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mjgz11

NO SHEEN NO MEN SHOW WHAT A FLOP NOW NO ONE CAN TAKE THE PLACE OF SHEEN ITS LIKE WATCHING A ROCKY MOVIE WITH HAVING HUGH HEFFNER AS ROCKY WHAT A JOKE

July 19 2011 at 1:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pebbles

I guess I always thought of 2 1/2 Men as an ensemble show, not the Charlie Sheen show. Before Sheen went goofy, I remember thinking that his character had hit rock bottom, pun intended. Alan's character was continuing to grow with bad Alan, and there is plenty of potential for Jake's character, which had largely been ignored. I was growing tired of the old drunk womanizer - so one dimensional. His character started to remind me of the old drunk guy at the end of the bar that doesn't realize that he is now the joke. I would love to see Ashton Kutcher's character be a long lost illegitimate half-brother of Alan and be his own character, not a replacement of Charlie. Berta would still be there, Evelyn would certainly be there. Imagine Alan with a home of his own only to discover he has inherited a large debt! Please don't get me wrong, I have always enjoyed the show, even Charlie's character (until the end), but I am truly looking forward to some growth on this show. If you are expecting more of the same, you will be disappointed. If you are open to some change, I think it could happen. I will be tuning in and am more than willing to give it a shot.

July 13 2011 at 10:00 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Ella

I love watching Charlie Sheen no matter what role he plays or what show he is on. We all go through life challenges and he is no exception, but he is a great actor.

July 05 2011 at 10:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jade4953

Ashton Kutcher...bad choice to replace Charile...

July 03 2011 at 11:40 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
diamondjd

I wouldn't "kill" Charlie off.
I would write him into rehab or running off with that creepy girl, Jenny McCarthy, he's been seeing - that is a real show killer... the supporting cast could have finished the season without Charlier and introduced Ashton at the same time -- Ashton -- the spirit of Charlie Harper.
I still can't figure Ashton relationship in this movie. And I don't believe allen wants to be gay..

July 03 2011 at 10:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
volntyr

By killing off Charlie Harper's character, this show will have officially jumped the Shark!

July 03 2011 at 10:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CoffeeGlss

This show is sooo over

July 03 2011 at 9:31 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
powerlifting7

Bring back Charlie Sheen he is worth 5 million per show the hell with that annoying screw ball Kutchers please give me a break....Bring back Charlie Sheen give him 5 million per episode he is worth it.

July 03 2011 at 9:29 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
Linda

The premise of 2.5 men is stupid and I wouldn't watch it when Sheen was on it, but maybe the writers will give it a bit more sophistication with a new actor. I'll give it another try. I definitely wouldn't watch any sad attempt to resurrect Sheen's career. He's a has-been.

July 03 2011 at 9:18 PM Report abuse -6 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Linda's comment
wrangler2106

he may or may not be a has-been, but your a never-was

July 05 2011 at 11:42 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply