July 28, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Craig Ferguson Gets a Little Weirded Out by Henry Winkler's Love for Trout (VIDEO)

by Jason Hughes, posted Jul 1st 2011 6:46AM
Henry Winkler, 'The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson'Henry Winkler loves trout, and by that we mean he is very fond of it in an emotional and personal way. In fact, he never eats the fish, though he will eat other fish. Craig Ferguson struggled to make sense of it on 'The Late Late Show' (Weeknights, 12:37AM ET on CBS).

Winkler takes a vacation every year to go trout fishing with a strict catch-and-release policy, where he's picked up enough life lessons to put out a new book. 'I've Never Met an Idiot on the River: Reflections on Family, Photography, and Fly Fishing' is Winkler's love letter to the waterways that have brought him so much joy.

Enough joy to kiss a picture of him holding a trout in the book and say, "How are you? Nice to see you!" while making kiss-y gestures toward it.

"You're clearly out of your mind," Ferguson said at one point during the interview, but Winkler's enthusiasm is so infectious you find yourself smiling and nodding along. Even when he tells you he gives each trout an autographed picture before he throws it back in.

Coot

well,I stopped fishing years ago,and I live close to the river and am only 43 yrs old. I used to catch horneyheads by the stringer full,and now its rare to even see one. I guess its a noble thing the Fonz is doing,but I have not read anything about the trout population dying out, so I would have to say,if ye catch it,clean it and fry it up. just my 2 cents worth......

July 03 2011 at 2:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sooner Dog

The Fonz and Trout this is freaky.....get a fish bowl!!!

July 02 2011 at 6:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cathleen

Someone should tell Henry Winkler that, according to the Rangers at the catch and release campground at Whitewater, CA, if you touch fish with your bare hands, the oil on your skin will kill the fish slowly and painfully. The Rangers only handle the fish with rubber gloves on.

July 02 2011 at 6:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
troopgear

eulerckt...,

There is a precariously fine line...in this case chasm, between humor, wit, & commentary.

July 02 2011 at 3:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to troopgear's comment
eulerckt

Also...a BIG problem when attempting to communicate feelings via electronic toys, rather than face to face. If the reader misses something, he/she may fill the gap as dictated by their personality or current emotional state. Wars have bee started over less.

July 02 2011 at 3:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sensible

Henry definitely marches to the beat of a different drum.

July 02 2011 at 2:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
s2at25

Well, I like trout but if he wants to "catch and release" OK. There is nothing odd about that. Fonz has an appreciation for this type of fish and wants to see them available for years to come. Why write an article like this. I know a lot of fisherman that ALWAYS prectice "catch and release"

July 02 2011 at 2:36 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
harolddundee

Winkler is the scum bag doing ads on TV for reverse mortgages that have cost people their homes.

July 02 2011 at 1:42 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Tutu

My dad was a trout fisherman and we would enjoy a good fish fry as a kid. I also had an aunt that would not eat at our house when we had trout. She once made the statement that she did not like wild fish and would only eat tame fish. In questioning her about the diff., she informed me that she only ate fish from the store as they were not wild. As a Smart Mouth teen I asked her if eating tame fish was not worse as they might have been someones pet. Most of the family yelled at me for being rude...my dad was not included as he took me to the garage to laugh with me about the remark and the reaction.

July 02 2011 at 12:21 PM Report abuse +6 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Tutu's comment
SEEER4078

I always bow to the smartest person in the family I bow to you Always question, good for you

July 02 2011 at 1:23 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to SEEER4078's comment
jimmy

I'm laughting with you and your dad

July 02 2011 at 4:25 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down
sbrewton9

There was no one cooler on tv than the Fonz when I was growing up.

July 02 2011 at 11:29 AM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
JoanneVLavender

Rats! I had hoped this would be something about jumping sharks.

July 02 2011 at 10:52 AM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply