November 22, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Jon Stewart Can't Believe Violent Video Game Supreme Court Ruling (VIDEO)

by Jason Hughes, posted Jul 1st 2011 4:42AM
'The Daily Show with Jon Stewart'Jon Stewart was absolutely stunned on 'The Daily Show' (Weeknights, 11PM ET on Comedy Central) after the Supreme Court ruling struck down a California law that would fine retailers for selling violent video games to minors. But the wrinkle to the ruling adds to the ongoing debate between sex and violence in this country.

It was this additional quote that left him perhaps the most confused. "Government might be able to restrict sexual materials, but not violent and other materials."

Stewart then proceeded to warn his audience to vacate the room if they're squeamish as he played a clip from 'Mortal Kombat 2011' of a woman literally being torn in half. This is the kind of game protected under this law.

"The state of California has no interest in restricting the sale of that game to children," he said while the clip played. "But if -- while being disemboweled -- this woman were to suffer perhaps a nip slip, regulate away!"

Evhan

I could see this...as long as children under the age of 18 cannot purchase the bible, koran, or any other thing that represents such terrible violence and twisted sexuality as these books. And just for the record, I do think that kids should get a fair chance at reading these, no matter how much I disagree with the message. I tend to lean toward a liberal political view, but I value free speech. And to recap, religion should not get special treatment here.

January 09 2012 at 2:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PEPPER MARTIN

The REPUBLICAN SUPREMES ARE ABOVE THE LAW THEY ARE SWORN TO UPHOLD.

1. Republicans SAY THEY BELIEVE IN "STATES RIGHTS" but only when it goes THEIR WAY....IF NOT
THEY RUN TO THE REPUBLICAN SUPREME COURT. I've never said that before but look at their findings and
their Rulings!
JUSTICE
1. CLARENCE THOMAS: ALL SUPREME COURT JUSTICES HAVE TO FILL OUT A FORM SAYING WHAT THERE
SPOUSES MAKES DURING A YEAR. JUSTICE THOMAS filled out his form & said
that HIS WIFE MADE: NONE. But RECORDS SHOW that his WIFE WHO WORKED
FOR: ("THE MORNING FOX SHOW" who named the "TEA PARTY" & SPONSORED BY
THE BILLION DOLLAR "KOCH BROTHERS" & who pay "SMALL BUSINESS TAXES")-
ACTUALLY WAS PAID $ 700,000.00 FOR HER "TEA PARTY WORK BUT CAME FROM
THE HERITAGE FOUNDATION( for her TEA PARTY work) which is a "NOT FOR PROFIT"
Christian Fundlementalists Group in DC. HE COULD HAVE SAID: $ 700,000 dollars
BUT SUPREME COURT JUSTICE CHOSE TO LIE ON A FED. FORM & SAY "NONE".
IF A AVERAGE AMERICAN HAD LIED & SAID "NONE"-not $700,000-WHAT WOULD
HAPPENED TO US?

2. JUSTICE SCALIA: Went to ALASKA on a HUNTING VACATION WITH DICK CHENEY 3 WKS. BEFORE DICK
CHENEY'S CASE CAME BEFORE THE SUPREME COURT ON WHETHER THE VICE
PRESIDENT HAD EXEC. POWER TO KEEP HIS "ENERGY POLICY" SECRET FROM THE
AMERICAN PEOPLE. (When CHENEY met with the 8 CEO's of the Major Oil Companies
TO DECIDE THE "SECRET" US Energy Policy--HE EXHORTED "EXCEC. PRIVILEDGE"
& IT WENT TO THE S.C. JUSTICE SCALIA VOTED FOR CHENEY & IN A 5-4 VOTE V.P.
CHENEY WON HIS CASE.

3. JUSTICE ALITO: NOMINATED FOR THE CT. OF APPEALS & was asked: If a CASE COMES BEFORE YOU&THE
OUTCOME COULD AFFECT THE VALUE OF A STOCK YOU OWN, YOU WOULD? HE SAID: "I
WOULD RECUSE MYSELF." ***FORWARD 1 1/2YRS--SAME GROUP,UNDER OATH,& NOW A
S. C. NOMINEE. A (D) ASKS HIM WHY HE HEARD CASE OF A STOCK HE OWNED,VOTED
FOR THAT STOCK&LIED IN LAST HEARING.THE(R) SMILED.

July 04 2011 at 9:57 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to PEPPER MARTIN's comment
rini1946

president clinton lied to the grand jury and nothing happend to him. And the dem o rats lie just as bad as the repulse a cans And to be honest if the supreme court was run by the repulse a cans there would have been more decision to the right not to left side. So what do you commens have to do with this case about the violence It you liberals that are alway talking freedom of speach and the goverment should not restrict any thing but religion. so this looks like a left ruling .

July 05 2011 at 1:43 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Dianna BLACK

I DON'T THINK YOUNG CHILDREN SHOULD WATCH THIS VIDEO IT'S 2 MUCH I FOUND IT A LITTLE GROSS 2 LOOK @ UNBELEIVABLE THAT THEY WOULD HAVE SOMETHING LIKE THIS AVAILABLE 4 CHILDREN N WE DON'T UNDERSTAND IT WHEN OUR KIDS ACT OUT AN DO VIOLENT THINGS .

July 04 2011 at 3:53 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Dianna BLACK's comment
jonhakkers

Really? Your kids are in the habit of ripping people in half?

July 10 2011 at 4:16 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
You've got IT!

Dear Cordick,
Not every child has a parent who is home watching their kids bc they might both be working two or three jobs in this economy. Not every child has parents, have you not been on Hollywood Blvd lately and watched the children out there unattended, runaways, whatever, not being attended by parents. Some laws are there for the GOOD of society. Like traffic lights and so on. Or not selling alcohol to 10 year olds. Not every parent in this country speaks English, reads English and knows that an M is different that another rating. There are some laws that are enforced for the good of mankind. This law will eventually be overturned when they determine that enough Juniors turn into Serial Killers bc they have played 1000s of hours of Mortal Kombat. And then, Cordick, you will have your answer.

July 04 2011 at 4:43 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to You've got IT!'s comment
BlkSwanPres

Video games / violence / sex do not turn anyone into serial killers, that's a common myth.

July 05 2011 at 10:45 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
jonhakkers

All studies for game violence/ real life viloence have been voided by the fact that other variables arent considered. Is a child more likely to become a sexual deviant becasue of the showing of a female breast in a game, or a teenage aimed music video lauding such behavior as "smackin dat ass"? Also its up to a parent to figure out the systems rating if they want their children playing games at all. They really could not make it more easy to figure out..

July 10 2011 at 2:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cordrick

The game is rated M for MATURE. It's not meant for kids under 18. If you don't want your kids to play Mortal Kombat, don't buy it for them. If you catch them playing the game take their Playstation or Xbox from them. BE A PARENT!!!

July 04 2011 at 2:11 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
lisa pelletier

that clip actually made me cry..... I am sorry but I feel that if a store breaks the rules and sells these they should be fined for selling this garbage to children under 17. I never allowed this trash in my house when my sons were younger, I also did not allow them to view rated R movies either ( and I made sure that their friends parents knew of my wishes when they were at their houses), my now 13 year old daughters friends have all seen "The Hangover" , "MacGruber", "The Crazies" are just to name a few. No I am not a prude but I believe there are certain things that are just not meant for childrens eyes. I do realize that certain games already have the ratings on them but as someone who has worked in retail for over 11 years I have had kids try to buy these games from me and I had a smile on my face when I said "NO" but it broke my heart when some come back with parents who bought it instead. I honestly looked at the parent and said " I would not sell it to your son/daughter because it has a mature rating and is VERY violent." A few were shocked when they found out just how bad it was but others shrugged and bought it anyway. Would they have had the same reaction if they tried to buy beer or cigarettes? ( I absolutly LOVED turning down those sales too!) If you dont agree with me we are all entitled to our own opinion and feelings...have a nice day :)

July 03 2011 at 10:04 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to lisa pelletier's comment
lisa pelletier

I forgot to add in the beginning that I don't allow my daughter to see the above movies that are rated "R" and am completly shocked that so many of her friends are allowed to.

July 03 2011 at 10:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SAM

You don't need the Surpreme Court to tell you whether your kids can play violent games (where people are being ripped apart) or not. If you don't want your kids to play these games, then it's your responsibilty as P-A-R-E-N-T-S to say no!!!!

July 03 2011 at 1:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to SAM's comment
Cordrick

Agree 100%

July 04 2011 at 2:07 AM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
You've got IT!

Dear Sam,
Visit Cordick's comment and my reply. You both are not empathetic enough to step outside of your box and into the world of someone else. Things do not always go as planned. Some parents have diminished IQ's, literally hovering around or below 100. These same parents might be working in a factory until four in the morning. Just as movies are regulated, so games ought to be regulated. Grow up America and start making sense!

July 04 2011 at 4:47 AM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to You've got IT!'s comment
jonhakkers

Games are regulated

July 11 2011 at 3:54 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down
MARGARET

**** Noob, Raiden and Kratos FTW.

July 03 2011 at 1:04 AM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
ragary19

FATALITY!!!

July 02 2011 at 11:46 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
prvteye666

Someone should tear Jon Stewart in half.

July 02 2011 at 1:10 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply