December 19, 2014

EXCLUSIVE: 'Supernatural' Star Misha Collins Talks Castiel's Role in Season 7

by Laura Prudom, posted Jul 6th 2011 1:30PM
Misha CollinsThe CW's 'Supernatural' has spent six years defying audience expectations and gleefully leaving us on the edge of our seats with every season finale, but last season's climactic close proved to be one of the most shocking yet.

Fan-favorite character Castiel (Misha Collins) pulled a dirty double cross in the last few episodes, revealing an unholy alliance with the demon Crowley for dominion over purgatory ... and let's just say that the finale didn't leave Cas and the Winchesters on the best of terms.

I recently had the privilege of traveling to Haiti with Collins and his charity, Random Acts, for a life-changing voluntary excursion (we'll have an in-depth feature on the trip next week), but during our wide-ranging interview, I couldn't resist slipping in a couple of questions about his status next season, and his response to the outpouring of fan support for his character.

There's not much new information here, but proceed with caution, there are mild spoilers ahead.

When news broke of Collins' change from series regular to recurring guest star for Season 7, many fans took to the web to make their outrage known, with responses ranging from writing letters to the showrunners and The CW (as well as creating a book of "Letters to Castiel" given to the actor at a recent convention, which Collins called "very sweet") to filling message boards and comment sections with their opinions.

Those pleas didn't fall on deaf ears, according to Collins. "I haven't been keeping my finger on the pulse of [fan] campaigns, but I have gotten word from Warner Bros. that they were inundated with questions ... or something," he wryly confirmed. "I don't really know what they were inundated with ... maybe it was just a flood; it could have been a flood in Burbank."

While we wouldn't put it past 'Supernatural' fans to devise a deluge of biblical proportions, we're hoping that the panic is premature.

Here's what Collins could tell us for sure: "I am not going to be a series regular on 'Supernatural' next year. I don't really know what my role on the show is going to be. I know that I'm going to be in the first two episodes at this point, but I don't know beyond that what the season holds for me."

Although Collins hadn't yet read the script for the second episode at the time of our interview, he did express hope for "some redemption" for the beloved character. And since the original plan was for Castiel to die in season six before the producers revised their position, we're cautiously optimistic that there's a chance for Castiel to receive an arc worthy of the character Collins and the writers have created, when all is said and done.

In a recent interview with TV Line, executive producer Sera Gamble seemed to echo that sentiment. "We love Misha. We love and adore the character of Castiel," she insisted. "His character developed to this extent and went in this unexpected direction because we were so inspired by him."

Regardless of how often Castiel will appear in Season 7, Collins was emphatic in his admiration for 'Supernatural' and the team behind it, and it's clear that there are no hard feelings over the progression of his storyline, with the actor reiterating that it's "the best work environment I've ever had."

In addition to spurring fans to speak out on the direction of 'Supernatural', Collins' inspirational nature was also instrumental in the creation of Random Acts, a charitable organization dedicated to "changing the world, one random act of kindness at a time."

Thanks to Collins and the Random Acts team, 'Supernatural' fans have so far raised more than $171,000 to fund charitable initiatives in Haiti, Japan and across the globe, and sent 22 volunteers to Jacmel earlier this month to help aid in the construction of a multipurpose community center and sustainable fish farm, to feed, shelter and educate Haiti's homeless and disadvantaged children.

Keep an eye on AOL TV next week for more from our trip to Haiti with Collins and the passionate fans he continues to inspire.

Follow Laura on Twitter: @LauinLA

miria

volta cas

October 24 2011 at 8:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
miria

po não é justo o castiel morrer assim

October 24 2011 at 8:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
miria

volta castiel

October 24 2011 at 8:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer R.

Come fall, I'm not going to have a lot of spare time for television. Castiel is, without question, my favorite character on the show. While I feel it is still a good show without him, I honestly don't think I'm going to make room for it in my schedule if he goes the way of Jo, Ellen, Ash and Rufus. No hard feelings, show.

July 07 2011 at 7:25 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Melanie

Save Castiel! Please! :)

July 07 2011 at 1:53 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Lisa

I like the character of Castiel, but it's been way overused the past couple seasons. It's time for the writers to focus on other things. I'm glad he's taking a step back for S7.

July 06 2011 at 11:09 PM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
Major Angst Girl

I love Supernatual, I love castiel, I enjoy it each week. But I can't say I understand the all the panty-twisting. It's a TV show, it's entertainment for 40 minutes once a week. Nothing more than that and it doesn't mean anything more than that. It doesn't educate or elighten or better my life. I'm never going to be lying on my deathbed someday wishing I'd written "just one more letter to the save the castiel" foundation. If I'm going to participate in a grand campaign it going to be for something that is actually, like, REAL. (I really wonder if a few of these folks actually DO know that these aren't real people). It's just a story. Entertaining to be sure, but still just a story.

July 06 2011 at 9:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Major Angst Girl's comment
soultoclingto

If if was only entertainment for you then you wouldn't be on an article responding to comments about the show and it's cast. You would be out living your life. Obviously you are passionate enough to get involved in online debates over whether or not people should be freaking out over a casting or storyline. You just aren't passionate to maybe do a letter writing campaign about this issue. Lots of people write letters to their shows, to their favorite band, or their favorite sports player. Would it be better if more people wrote their local congressman or woman instead? Of course. However, entertainment is still powerful. Art can move minds, influence politics, and even create harmony among people who normally have great animosity towards each other. To say that entertainment isn't important enough to care about is to say that art does not have the impact that world history proves it does. To sum up, just because you think art is just a story doesn't mean that is the case. Art can be a lot of things for a lot of people. This show is art and as such as the power to move people. Even if at the end of the day it's done nothing more but entertain people who is to say that is not worth of such passion? If the show brightened some person's life who might have been contemplating killing themselves due to depression but found hope in the fictional heroes of Team Free Will, then I'd say it's worthy of whatever applause or letters it gets. I'm sure it's touched lives out there. Perhaps for people who lost siblings or who lost fathers and mothers. It's not just a tv show as much as a movie isn't just a movie or a sculpture isn't just a rock. They are all things that can connect to people and make them feel very powerful emotions. Supernatural is more than just a television show.

July 07 2011 at 2:31 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
KadyB

I want to second all of this. I don't feel valued as a fan of this show right now. And if the show doesn't care about me as a viewer, why should I care about it? Why shouldn't I go elsewhere, to watch something better written that doesn't kill off every secondary character?

July 06 2011 at 9:06 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
Deza

Thanks so much for this article. I love Sam and Dean, but, please, Cas is also wonderful on Supernatural. :D. I am one of thousands of fans inundated with questions, "questions" in Warner Bros. :D

July 06 2011 at 8:44 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
marisilver

I'll say it... We need a Castiel spin off plain and simple. He deserves and there is a enough backstory to keep a show surrounding the character Castiel. Supernatural/Castiel a la Buffy/Angel.

July 06 2011 at 7:06 PM Report abuse +8 rate up rate down Reply