September 21, 2014

It's Official: 'All My Children' & 'One Life to Live' Heading Online

by Chris Harnick, posted Jul 7th 2011 3:05PM
Susan Lucci, All My Children'All My Children' and 'One Life to Live' will continue beyond their final ABC airdates, as previously reported. The soaps are heading online with a new multi-year and multi-platform deal with Prospect Park.

"'All My Children' and 'One Life to Live' are iconic pieces of television history that captivated millions of fans since their beginning over 40 years ago," ABC's head of daytime Brian Frons said in a statement. "Each of the shows have made an indelible mark on our culture's history and informed our consciousness in their own way. We are so glad Prospect Park has assumed the mantel for these shows and that they will continue for the fans."

Under the new deal, the two soaps will live online and will be accessible via any Internet-enabled device. They'll be the same length and format, and, according to the press release, the same quality.

"We are privileged to continue the legacy of two of the greatest programs to air on daytime television, and are committed to delivering the storylines, characters and quality that audiences have come to love for over 40 years," saidRich Frank and and Jeff Kwatinetz of Prospect Park. "'All My Children' and 'One Life to Live' are television icons, and we are looking forward to providing anytime, anywhere viewing to their loyal community of millions."

"Technology changes the way the public can and will view television shows," the statement continued. "Now that there are so many devices available in addition to television sets, viewers are taking advantage of watching shows wherever they are and on any number of devices. The driving force in making the switch and attracting new audiences is to have outstanding programs that people want to watch. We believe that by continuing to produce the shows in their current hour format and with the same quality, viewers will follow the show to our new, online network."

'All My Children' and 'One Life to Live' creator Agnes Nixon said she was happy ABC found a home for her two soaps and she's excited for the future with Prospect Park.

"It takes a lot of living to make a soap opera a serial, and the wonderful teams on both shows have done just that," Nixon said in a statement. "Together, we are a big family that keeps going, and I'm looking forward to working alongside these wonderful people as we ensure that the shows will continue with all the love and excitement we've always had. I also am so happy for our loyal fans, whom we love so much, and who have been so supportive over the last 40 plus years."

Since its debut 41 years ago, 'All My Children' has helped launch careers of many Hollywood starlets including Melissa Leo, Sarah Michelle Gellar and Amanda Seyfried. The soap's most recognizable face, Susan Lucci, is the only original cast member still on the series.

'One Life to Live' debuted as a half-hour show in 1968 before transforming into a full-fledged hour-long soap 10 years later. Erica Slezak, who plays Viki Lord Banks on the series, is the longest-running cast member, having begun in 1971. Hollywood players including Tommy Lee Jones, Dixie Carter, Judith Light, Marcia Cross and Ryan Phillippe are a few of the many famous faces who got their start on the series.

ABC is replacing 'All My Children' with 'The Chew' starting late September. The food and lifestyle program comes from veteran Food Network producer Gordon Elliot ('Paula Deen's Home Cooking,' 'Down Home With the Neelys') and will focus on every aspect of food.

The one-hour series will be hosted by Mario Batali, 'What Not to Wear' stylist Clinton Kelly, 'Top Chef' veteran Carla Hall, 'Iron Chef America' star Michael Symon and nutrition expert Daphne Oz.

When 'One Life to Live' leaves ABC in January, it'll be replaced by 'The Revolution,' a new healthy living/weight-loss series. Tim Gunn headlines the series with 'American Idol' contestant Kimberly Locke and fitness trainer Harley Pasternak alongside. The three regulars will be joined contributors to help transform people's lives.

Look for more details on the future of 'All My Children' and 'One Life to Live' soon.

Tell us: Are you happy the soaps have been saved?

Check out video highlights from Susan Lucci's recent press tour.

Sharrell Knight

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS MATTHEW AND DESTINY ARE BACK HUGE FAN SINCE I WAS LITTLE

March 14 2012 at 5:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
FedUp

Could someone please tell me when and where to go on line to watch? All I seem to be able to find are articles about it. No link or address to view the show.

abc can Chew on their Revolution.

January 09 2012 at 2:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to FedUp's comment
SamanthaP

I think it has been delayed. I just read that somewhere. It will be the 1st quarter of 2012 but no date yet.

January 26 2012 at 2:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Leslie

I Love these soaps, and am so disappointed that they are all being taken off air, I'm so glad we will be able to watch them online, I only pray that if General Hospital is taken off, that they do the same for it. I was raised my my late grandmother on the CBS soaps and about 4 years ago I just was watching soapnet and got into these to the point that I was trying to keep up with both ABC and CBS soaps but finally couldn't follow them all and had to choose to switch to the ABC and now they are taking them all of, just when I really start to love them.... I live for these soaps.... Please keep ALL of the ABC soaps so we can at least watch them online. Much Love to All my ABC soaps: All My Children, One Life to Live, and General Hospital..... I have enjoyed you all for the last for years, and pray that I can continue to watch at least online!!!!!!!!!!

December 02 2011 at 1:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Leslie

I'm am so glad that these soaps have been saved, I switched from the CBS soaps about 4years ago and I fell in love with them, I can only hope that if there comes a time that General Hospital is taken off the air that we will be able to find it to watch in the same place. I absolutely love these soaps. My late Grandmother raised me on the CBS soaps, but I really just felt so sucked in and am so hooked......I need these soaps, and am sure many other fans agree!!!!!!!!

December 02 2011 at 1:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
eusol

If Prospect Park cant pick them up, can someone. I look forward to watching OLTL everyday. We do not need another talk show, chef show, fix you type of show. We need mindless entertainment with characters who become family to us. What if you charged the viewers. We are die hard fans, we would pay

November 23 2011 at 7:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kathy kotenko

Like everyone else I was devastated to hear that AMC & OLTL were cancelled. I'm so happy to hear I'll be able to watch them on line. I don't think Froms has a clue what people are watching since Neilson only follows 25,000 families. How can that possibly cover millions of viewers? Has anyone actually watched The Chew? Awful! Everyone in the audience looks like it's as painful being there as it is to watch. They're only there because of free tickets & food. Oh, and while I'm on a rant here I want to say think you much ABC for ruining every soap you ever aired by showing us previews of story lines spoiling the surprise for everyone. Why don't I send you the name of the book I'm reading and you can tell me the ending and spoil that for me too. No other station does this but ABC.

October 29 2011 at 6:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brenda

Who
Who's the idiot that said this generation of girls/women don't watch the soaps? ABC made a big mistake cancelling AMC and OLTL. These two shows had the biggest fan base on tv. I don't support ABC any longer.

October 29 2011 at 3:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
familyof3brats

I feel like there was a death in the family without all my children, I cant believe that abc is sooooooooooooooooooooooooo stupid, I hope they fall flat on their faces for cancelling the two good soaps and keeping the STUPID one! and I also do not watch abc AT ALL!!!! except for the short time oltl is still on. Why would some corporate dumb ass do something so foolish like the chew! then the revolution!!!! really!!! good riddance abc

October 16 2011 at 11:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marsha

YES YES YES!!!!!!! I have been watching AMC for almost 40 years, I am lost w/o my AMC friends

October 04 2011 at 11:34 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Peggy Lomax

yes, i'm so glad you guys have saved the soaps.I presonaly don't like the cooking shows..

September 29 2011 at 10:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply